Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Mills Leader Supreme

Options
  • 31-08-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking of putting my dog onto this as its Irish and wanted to support home grown produce. I've decided to take her off Orijen for a while and can't decide between Red Mills and Arden Grange. How have people found Red Mills? What's the general cost for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Afaik Arden Grange isnt irish, its produced in the UK but is available in ireland.

Ive used both and found Red Mills slightly better, i found my dog poo'd a lot of Arden Grange but still was in condition on it. I know a few people who feed red mills, one shows Great Danes and her dogs do really well on it, but every dog is different.

I think the supreme range is around 40 or so for a 15kg bag, if you are going for Red Mills make sure its the Supreme range as thats the best. They have several different qualities going from a very cheap food to much better food which is the supreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

andreac wrote: »
    Afaik Arden Grange isnt irish, its produced in the UK but is available in ireland.

Ive used both and found Red Mills slightly better, i found my dog poo'd a lot of Arden Grange but still was in condition on it. I know a few people who feed red mills, one shows Great Danes and her dogs do really well on it, but every dog is different.

I think the supreme range is around 40 or so for a 15kg bag, if you are going for Red Mills make sure its the Supreme range as thats the best. They have several different qualities going from a very cheap food to much better food which is the supreme.

Arden Grange is UK produced which is why I wanted to go for the Red Mills. It's produced in Ireland. Its the Supreme I'd plan to buy alright. €40 for a 15kg bag isn't bad at all. The Orijen is nearly €60 for a 13.5kg bag and James Wellbeloved is €44 for a 15kg bag. The Arden Grange isn't available on any of the websites I know but is €55 from Brendas Pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I have our German pointer on red mills adult supreme, she was on Burns extra (which is high in protein) for weight issues. It was €63 for 14kg where as red mills is about €38-40 for 15kgs.
    I find it great and am managing to keep the weight on the dog right now. But have been advised to switch her to Red Mills Adult energy for the shooting season, to stop her loosing too much weight (sorry in advance to all the anti-hunters).

If your not trying to put weight on the dog then maybe consider putting them on something that isn't as high in protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Lemlin wrote: »
    Was thinking of putting my dog onto this as its Irish and wanted to support home grown produce. I've decided to take her off Orijen for a while and can't decide between Red Mills and Arden Grange. How have people found Red Mills? What's the general cost for it?

We moved our two dogs from Orijen to Red Mills leader supreme. So far they seem to be doing just as well as when they were on the Orijen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Supreme is part of Red Mills Leader range. Other Leader products are Puppy, Junior, Adult, Energy and Lite.

I have one of my dogs on Leader Adult and another on Leader Lite. (He is on Lite as he is a Senior dog and needs to keep his weight down).

Leader Supreme has 14% oil and is really suited for more active dogs i.e. working/show dogs. (Leader Energy would be next level up again.) I had one of my dogs on Supreme before and they put weight on. I switched him over to Adult which has 12% oil and looks alot better. www.redmills.ie gives the ingredient analysis for each product.

I have found Red Mills Leader to be very good and at very good price. Adult is 36 euro, Supreme 40 euro for 15Kg bags.

• Advertisement

paultf wrote: »
    Supreme is part of Red Mills Leader range. Other Leader products are Puppy, Junior, Adult, Energy and Lite.

I have one of my dogs on Leader Adult and another on Leader Lite. (He is on Lite as he is a Senior dog and needs to keep his weight down).

Leader Supreme has 14% oil and is really suited for more active dogs i.e. working/show dogs. (Leader Energy would be next level up again.) I had one of my dogs on Supreme before and they put weight on. I switched him over to Adult which has 12% oil and looks alot better. www.redmills.ie gives the ingredient analysis for each product.

I have found Red Mills Leader to be very good and at very good price. Adult is 36 euro, Supreme 40 euro for 15Kg bags.

Can someone post the ingreident list for Leader Supreme? I can't get into the site here in work.

One of the reasons I want to change is because my dog seems to be itching alot on Orijen and I think it could be because of the high amount of protein. That's why I want to change to something with a bit less protein like Arden Grange or Red Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Raw Protein 22.00%, Raw fat 14 .00%, Raw fibre 2.50%, Raw ash 9.00%, Moisture Content 10.00%, Calcium 1.4%, Phosphorus 0.8%, Sodium 0.4%, Magnesium 0.1%, Iron 75 mg/kg, Zinc 70 mg/kg, Copper (Sulphate) 15 mg/kg, Vitamin A 12.000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1.500 iu/kg, Alpha-Tocophero (Vitamin E) 200 mg/kg, Energy 16.50 mj/kg

Its def lower than Orijen, it has a high oil content of 14% but thats a good thing, esp if you are thinking of showing the dog as it will help its coat.

andreac wrote: »
    Raw Protein 22.00%, Raw fat 14 .00%, Raw fibre 2.50%, Raw ash 9.00%, Moisture Content 10.00%, Calcium 1.4%, Phosphorus 0.8%, Sodium 0.4%, Magnesium 0.1%, Iron 75 mg/kg, Zinc 70 mg/kg, Copper (Sulphate) 15 mg/kg, Vitamin A 12.000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1.500 iu/kg, Alpha-Tocophero (Vitamin E) 200 mg/kg, Energy 16.50 mj/kg

Its def lower than Orijen, it has a high oil content of 14% but thats a good thing, esp if you are thinking of showing the dog as it will help its coat.

Thanks for posting that.

Is there a list though of what meat etc. goes into it?

Lemlin,

(I tried one of my dogs on a sample of Orijen. He got an allergic reaction to the high protein & developed a hotspot on his face which got infected. He has been on meds the past week. So I put him back on his Red Mills.)

For some reason they don't have the exact ingredient list on their website. The main ingredients are the same for all Leader products. Got below from a Red Mills marketing brochure on the web:-

Leader range characteristics - from a scientific point-of-view:
    Contains a range of dog foods nutritionally balanced for all life
    stages.
    Balanced for essential fatty acids (Omega 3 and Omega 6) to
    promote coat quality, health and vitality.
    Hypo-Allergenic characteristics.
    Balanced for all vitamins, minerals and trace elements.
    Free from wheat gluten.
    Contains Fructo-Oligosaccharides (FOS) to promote optimal gut
    health and stimulate the immune system.
    Contains Mannan - Oligosaccharides (MOS) to help clean
    undesireables from the digestive system.
    L-Carnitine assists correct development of growing dogs.
    L-Carnitine also helps prevents obesity as part of a calorie
    controlled diet.
    Vitamin C and Beta Carotene, Antioxidants for sustained health
    and vitality.
    Chondroitin and Glucosamine for Joints and Movement
    (Leader Energy Only).
    Creatine and Betaine for Muscle power, energy and vitality.

Leader range features:
    Highly digestible and palatable - made from the highest quality
    chicken protein.
    Nutrionally balanced to promote coat quality health and vitality.
    Suitable for dogs requiring sensitive diets.
    Significantly improves and maintains stool quality.
    Aids older and overweight dogs.
    Helps reduce the negative effects of stress caused by travelling etc.
    Free from beef and lamb.
    Natural - free from added artificial preservatives, colours
    and flavours.
    Foil packed and re-sealable for freshness.

SOME OF THE MAIN INGREDIENTS USED IN THE RED MILLS LEADER RANGE: Prime Quality Chicken, Herring, Prime Quality Irish Oats, Corn, Corn Extract, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Milk, Dried Whole E gg, Linseed, Natural Chicken Digest, Calcium, Phosphorus,
    Sodium, Potassium Magnesium, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium, Iodine, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocophero l) Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B1 , Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12 Nicotinic Acid, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid,
    Biotin (Vitamin H), L-Carnitine, Betaine, Creatine, Chondroitin, Glucosamine HCL. No added preservatives. Only natural preservatives are used.

Think I might buy a bag and start mixing it in with the last bit of her Orijen to get her used to it. Do any online stores sell it? I've seen it in Petmania in Navan (my local large pet superstore) so will price it there today.

• Advertisement

The only one I know online that delivers Red Mills is www.petconnections.ie (based in Newry). Haven't tried them so I don't know what they are like. Prices in sterling: £40 for 15kg supreme + £6.99 delivery.

Is there any Agri-store near you? I get RMs in 4kg bags in my local pet store now but at the begining I tried 15kg bags - in my local pet store a 15kg bag of Leader Adult was 36 euro, while in my local Agri-store it was 33 euro.

Because RMs do horse feed etc alot of Agri-stores would have the Leader range.

Lemlin,

Just checked the packaging on my bags of Red Mills. They give the ingredient analysis that you get on their website, plus the ingredients are listed as follows:

** cereals, meat and animal derivatives, derivatives of vegatable origin, oils and fats, fish and fish derivatives, vegatvble protein extracts, minerals, fructo-oligo-saccharides, preserved with propionic acid, contains natural antioxidants. **

On their website they don't give a detailed list of ingedients. I had to search alot on the web to finding marketing brochures that gave the ingredient list. (see previous post) Even then they only list the main ingredients and they don't give perentages. But isn't this the norm with most pet food manufacturers?

In saying all that, I have my 2 dogs on Red Mills for over 6 months and they have been doing really well on it. They are in really good shape, healthy and happy. So I would recommend it.

Advertisement