Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

full frame?

• 31-08-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

thinking of going from canon 30d to a full frame version to shoot sports mainly is it worth it or should i just upgrade to say a 40d...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

do you think this is an area you could be spending alot of time in... why up grade to a 40D the 50D is the newer version and at that it appears (if the interweb is to be believed) it's not going to be new for very much longer.

As for full frame for sports I don't have one so I'll hand that to the sports people that do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

better off with a 40/50d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Full frame cameras tend to have a much slower fps, so can make sport a bit more difficult to capture.

Of course, it can be done.

I'd certainly say you'd be better going for a 40/50D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Paulw wrote: »
    Full frame cameras tend to have a much slower fps, so can make sport a bit more difficult to capture.

Of course, it can be done.

I'd certainly say you'd be better going for a 40/50D.

or you could get a 1d mIII if you have plenty of money :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

landyman wrote: »
    or you could get a 1d mIII if you have plenty of money :pac:

1D MkIII isn't full frame. It's a 1.3 crop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

Think he meant the 1Ds mkIII (which is full frame) not the 1D mkIII

Depending on your budget if you've got the cash then i'd say the best would be the 1Ds mkIII but you would need a hell of a budget.

Other than that i would say you'd be better of sticking to the 50d for your fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The 1D mkIII is the defacto canon camera for sports photogs. If you can afford the price of a full frame canon, then a little extra for the markIII shouldn't bother you too much. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Paulw wrote: »
    1D MkIII isn't full frame. It's a 1.3 crop.

I know that, its sort of a good comprimise in between the 1.6 factor of the 50d and the full frame 5d.

You dont entireley lose the extra advantage given by the 1.3 crop factor but would have quality close to full frame

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

You could switch to Nikon. The Nikon sports camera equivalent of Canon's 1DMkIII is the D3 and it's full frame.

You're probably better off with a 40D 1.6x crop for the moment though unless you are loaded as a 70-200mm on a 40D will have almost the same reach as a 300mm on a D3 so it keeps the cost of quality lenses down a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

thx for all the replies lads want to make the right move so will weigh it all up ,either nikon d3 or canon full frame or 40/50d the decision awaits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hold off for the 60d that there are so many rumours about on-line. Last I saw it's looking like a crop sensor with dual digic 3's with speed being the drive behind the design...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Hold off for the 60d that there are so many rumours about on-line. Last I saw it's looking like a crop sensor with dual digic 3's with speed being the drive behind the design...
    yeah think i will wait for 60d any idea when its out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Sleepy wrote: »

thats the 7d, it will be available in 4weeks
    18mp 8fps
    its supposed to use new sensor technology that enables it to have better S/N ratio than the 15mp 50d sensor, it could be an awesome camera. its 1.6crop tho

going from 30d to 40/50d isnt a huge leap(50d doesnt have better image quality, just twice the pixels and unless you are printing big they just take up twice the space on your memory card). better off getting a second hand 1d mkII or the 7d, which could be 1800euro for body only.

yes 7d looks nice alright wonder what prices though decisions decisions eh:)

Advertisement