Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing A Website with Dynamic Content

• 31-08-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm working for a small company that is launching in a month's time and I'm responsible for putting a website in place. I have a background in programming (C++, Java).

What I want to know is what would be the best value for money? The site will be simple, but needs to be quite dynamic. Has anyone any experience with third party developers, how did you find it?

I am considering taking on the task myself, but I'd have to get up to scratch with HTML/CSS/Javascript. Would it be feasible or realistic?

Any advice is more than welcome, as I need to make a decision over the next couple of days, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Depends on the type of company that's launching and the budget for the website , if its a web based company , the website needs to reflect a degree of professionalism and trust , whilst if its a bricks and mortar based business a simple static page with just contact information should be enough.

You can also pick up javascript/html/css skills fairly quickly if you have a technical background.

I just noticed you said you want the site to be simple but dynamic , would do you mean by that? You want to store customers info
    provide services through the site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thanks for the reply.

It's a small company in a niche market - human resources consultancy - and what I meant by dynamic was that it has to be easy to update with new content like latest news in the company and the sector in general.

Maybe I used the term 'dynamic' incorrectly but there should be a structure in place for easily adding new info. In terms of third party web design companies, they seem to offer static and dynamic packages, where the latter involves them providing the service I describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

You just need a content management system , such as www.wordpress.org or have a look here http://www.opensourcecms.com/ , then just have a designer skin the look and feel to reflect the website you want.

Try www.elance.com or www.scriptlance.com for a designer , or have a look over at www.creativeireland.com if looking for advice from Irish web designers.

Advertisement