Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing hooks

Options
  • 31-08-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've got a few of these sprinkled around my house

http://www.artestuff.com/images/picture-hook-double.jpg

I want to move the pictures which means removing the hooks. They're attached to the walls with 2 small pin nails that have been hammered in until they're flush. What's the best way of getting the hooks out without destroying the walls. The walls in all cases are interior walls, so probably what plasterboard ot something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

corblimey wrote: »
    I've got a few of these sprinkled around my house

http://www.artestuff.com/images/picture-hook-double.jpg

I want to move the pictures which means removing the hooks. They're attached to the walls with 2 small pin nails that have been hammered in until they're flush. What's the best way of getting the hooks out without destroying the walls. The walls in all cases are interior walls, so probably what plasterboard ot something?

If the nails have been hammered in flush I wouldn't think your walls are plasterboard since hammering into that is likely to break it. More likely the walls are real plaster. In that case if you simply try to lever the hooks off the wall I would expect some chunks of plaster to come with them. The only way that ever worked for me was to grip the heads of the nails with a pair of pliers and twist them a few times to release their grip on the plaster, then pull each one out with a straight pull. That leaves pin holes that can easily be filled with a little Polyfilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

The nails go in the little holes with side of the hook and are flush to that and then the entire hook is flush to the wall. So there's nothing to grab on to with a pliers. If I'd had any sense, I would've left the nails sticking out a few mm's so that I could do that, but nooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

YOu're going to have to use polyfilla to cover up the holes made by the nails anyway so just pull the hooks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sleipnir wrote: »
    YOu're going to have to use polyfilla to cover up the holes made by the nails anyway so just pull the hooks off.

+1 I have these hooks as well in most cases the hole is not to bad. Be honest op. Your trying to get away with painting:) Use a scraper as a base on the wall to lever the hooks with a flat kitchen knife. If you catch my drift. You will be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

+1 I have these hooks as well in most cases the hole is not to bad. Be honest op. Your trying to get away with painting:) Use a scraper as a base on the wall to lever the hooks with a flat kitchen knife. If you catch my drift. You will be fine!

You're darn tooting I'm trying to get away with painting! :D Okay, I'll try the lever method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Lazy-assed DIY'ers.

Advertisement