Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2002 build standard cavity

Options
  • 31-08-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I just bought a four bedroom detached bungalow which was built in 2002. It has 100mm inner and outer concrete leaves. The cavity is 40mm air and 60mm polystyrene board. I'm guessing this is pretty standard for the time it was built. I think I'v worked it out to have a U value of .33 but I'm no expert.

Would there be any benefit to filling the remaining 40mm with bonded bead or other insulation. I've heard that you increase the odds of rain penetration/condensation/dampness if you remove the air cavity???

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have done this with my own house about 2 or 3 months ago and (so far) theres been no problem with rain penetration.

I have a very exposed gable wall and if it survived the rainfall over the last 2 months it will withstand anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

your wall construction is probably nearer a U value of 0.39W/m2. deg C. depending upon the type of board and wall finishes.
    By inserting beads you will get it to around 0.28.

Read the following article on filling the cavity before you make a decision.

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

i have done this to my own house 18mths ago and i would recommend it. the temperature in the house on a frosty morning would be 4 degrees warmer as seen on the thermometer fitted in the kitchen. pre cavity filling the temp was 10-11 degrees and post cavity filling the temp is 14-15 degrees in the morning.:D

dampness or rain penetration is not a problem

Advertisement