Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doghouse

Options
  • 31-08-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

[FONT=&quot]Dog owners,

Do you not realize that your house stinks? Even if you say your dog is the cleanest dog in the world. Your house still stinks. Even if you stay its just a dog smell, it doesn't mean your house doesn't stink. Even if you stay your house doesn't smell, it does.

I love my dogs but would never have them in the house (even if it was a kip).

I think it's disgusting. Your dog should stay outside.

And as for people that have their dogs sleep on their bed!!!![/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yep, My dog stinks. :D he loves playing in the garden, mucky puddles and he adores the rain. As such, he always has that "wet dog" smell. I'm glad I can overlook this so I get cuddles on the couch every evening and I'm greeted by his little "wiggle" whenever I come down the stairs. It's worth it and I think I am blessed to not be as house proud as you, that I get to enjoy those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

So what's your 'issue' then? Otherwise this is being locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Mine doesnt :D

And if it does, its certainly not nearly as bad as a smokers house...

In fairness, everyones house has a 'smell'.
    When I come home from certain peoples houses, my mother can tell whose house I was in. (non animal/non smoker homes).

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

hblock21 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Dog owners,

Do you not realize that your house stinks? Even if you say your dog is the cleanest dog in the world. Your house still stinks. Even if you stay its just a dog smell, it doesn't mean your house doesn't stink. Even if you stay your house doesn't smell, it does.

I love my dogs but would never have them in the house (even if it was a kip).

I think it's disgusting. Your dog should stay outside.

Each to their own but I think if you were a 100% dog lover you wouldn't have the above view and I think you're just trolling...IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I think your a troll, who would say that on an animal forum knowing what kind of a response they are going to get. Oh and by the way yes I have a dog and ya my kitchen does smell sometimes but its all part of dog ownership.

I work in a shop out in the country where you get farmers coming in after just spreading slurry or loads of old men that live alone and don't bother washing themselves, and you think that dogs smell. :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Do you believe that your home is bacteria and smell free? That your dog will 'contaminate' it? The first is a fantasy, the second is an irrational fear.
    I'm off to give my dog a big cuddle, he's in the kitchen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

for god sake get a life ,,there are more things to worry about than, is there a doggy smell in my house,..i couldn't care less if there was, :pif you ever had a baby in your house you'd know what strong smells are like:rolleyes: i'd have a little doggy smell over a stinky nappy any day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

I know its against the rules to call the OP an idiot but is it against the rules to think he/ she is an idiot? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Wolfsberg wrote: »
    I know its against the rules to call the OP an idiot but is it against the rules to think he/ she is an idiot? :confused:
    i for one wouldn't argue with you there:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Yup, I have a dog and my house smells of dog.

My sister has two kids and you should smell the place after them. Ugh! It's a mix of grass, dirt, Milton, spat-up baby formula, general sticky smell, farts, nappies and vomit. Now, she cleans them constantly and she tidies the house all the time but there's just no getting away from it- the place stinks of children.

And as for having kids in your bed...! Ugh- animals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

2 of our dogs are currently leppin around the sitting room at each other.... I wouldn't want it any other way of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Lucy has a tiny bread roll and she's trying to bury it under the couch cushions. She's so fecking entertaining. Wouldn't swap her for all the Febreze in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Yep, My dog stinks. :Dhe loves playing in the garden, mucky puddles and he adores the rain. As such, he always has that "wet dog" smell. I'm glad I can overlook this so I get cuddles on the couch every evening and I'm greeted by his little "wiggle" whenever I come down the stairs. It's worth it and I think I am blessed to not be as house proud as you, that I get to enjoy those things.

Wow your house must stink if your letting your dog run around it soaking wet. And as for hugging the dog after it rolled around in puddles?! O.k. Everyone to themselves!
    star-pants wrote: »
    So what's your 'issue' then? Otherwise this is being locked.

I just don’t get the whole dog in the house thingy. It equals an awful unnecessary smell.
    Discostuy wrote: »
    Mine doesnt :D

And if it does, its certainly not nearly as bad as a smokers house...

I agree. A smoker’s house is the pits
    In fairness, everyone’s house has a 'smell'.
    When I come home from certain peoples houses, my mother can tell whose house I was in. (non animal/non smoker homes).

Your mother has a great nose
    Roaster wrote: »
    Each to their own but I think if you were a 100% dog lover you wouldn't have the above view and I think you're just trolling...IMHO

?

dee o gee wrote: »
    I think your a troll, who would say that on an animal forum knowing what kind of a response they are going to get. Oh and by the way yes I have a dog and ya my kitchen does smell sometimes but its all part of dog ownership.

I work in a shop out in the country where you get farmers coming in after just spreading slurry or loads of old men that live alone and don't bother washing themselves, and you think that dogs smell. :eek::eek::eek:

?

I know exactly how a dog smells. There’s 3 at home currently + 8 little puppies. There have been countless dogs at home during my lifetime. Dodger, Roy, Red, Peg, Captain, Major, Bighead, Speedy, Blackly, Spot, and many more that I cant think of at this very moment!

Maggie.23 wrote: »
    Do you believe that your home is bacteria and smell free? That your dog will 'contaminate' it? The first is a fantasy, the second is an irrational fear.
    I'm off to give my dog a big cuddle, he's in the kitchen. :)

Dog feces can transmit worms and other parasites, Campylobacter and Leptospira. Dog poop can lead to blindness in small children if exposed to too much of it. (And yes a child can just a easily pick something up in the garden but at least ‘the house’ is one less place)

I hope he enjoyed the cuddle.

?
    joyce2009 wrote: »
    i for one wouldn't argue with you there:D

?
    2 of our dogs are currently leppin around the sitting room at each other.... I wouldn't want it any other way of an evening.

As long as your happy, am happy

[FONT=&quot]Im glad the thread wasn’t locked immediately as I think I have gotten some wordy replies apart from the troll and idiot calling ones! But you have not (and ofcourse will never) convinced me. A dog should not be in the house. Yes it’s a domestic animal (and is cleaner than ‘some’ humans around) but do you really think when someone visits (to eat, or other) that they like looking at a dog in the corner of the kitchen? I remember visiting cousins each year when younger and they had this little runt of a dog. It stayed under the table as we’re eating dinner, and the bloody smell off it. But anyway that’s just the way I would have it, everyone has his or her ways![/FONT]
    00112984 wrote: »
    Lucy has a tiny bread roll and she's trying to bury it under the couch cushions. She's so fecking entertaining. Wouldn't swap her for all the Febreze in the world.

Why would you? You can't play with Febreze. Maybe just spray it around abit, might help to get rid of the smell (if there is any)

*sigh*
    right people less of the idiot/troll and OP less of the backseat modding.

OP coming in to an animal/pet forum and going 'why have dogs in the house they smell awful' pretty much insults a lot of people who love their animals.
    Our house doesn't smell - I will admit obv the dogs can smell at times, or their beds do.
    As for my mother's nose, I can smell it too, you can smell it off your clothes and hair.

Each to their own indeed. Some people let their dogs lick their lips/tongue, I personally don't allow it, because I know where it's been. Some people don't wash their hands after being at their dog, I do. But we each have our own views on things.
    What about other pets? Or is it just dogs you deem should stay outside?

*sigh*
    right people less of the idiot/troll and OP less of the backseat modding.

OP coming in to an animal/pet forum and going 'why have dogs in the house they smell awful' pretty much insults a lot of people who love their animals.
    Our house doesn't smell - I will admit obv the dogs can smell at times, or their beds do.
    As for my mother's nose, I can smell it too, you can smell it off your clothes and hair.

Each to their own indeed. Some people let their dogs lick their lips/tongue, I personally don't allow it, because I know where it's been. Some people don't wash their hands after being at their dog, I do. But we each have our own views on things.
    What about other pets? Or is it just dogs you deem should stay outside?

oh believe me I knew the way I started off was was going to cause a few grrr's!

Yes I would be totally against the kissing and I wash my hands always after touching the dogs at home, even if only I brushed them slightly.

Well if I wouldn't have dogs in the house neither would I have cats(I won't go into my opinion of cats!, im a dog man, lol) As for other pets, well im not sure. I've only ever classified dogs / cats as pets (in the sense of that you play with) but ofcourse there are snakes, birds, tortices etc etc

Look I love going home and seeing that 'dodger' and 'red' are happy to see me and i give them a patt and say hello. But it end outside...until I go out to them again ofcourse!

I actually also have this thing about patting other dogs. I only like to patt/touch my own dogs. Don't know if thats just me or not!

That's fair enough and that's how you feel, and I know a lot of people who have their dogs as 'outside animals'. Each to their own, I'd love if dogs were cleaner, but as the youngest in the house is 16 we don't have issues with small children and if there were small children to come into the house,the dogs would go out. My mother's a Monica so the house is always as clean as it can be.

Birds and hamsters/gerbils etc can stink the place a bit (just their scent) but most people have them in the house, although some will keep them to the utility room or maybe the shed.

Wow your house must stink
    You ignorant nasty person to actually quote someone and say that, How dare you assume to quote something I said and say my house stinks. It's one thing to say "dog owners houses stink" another to direct it at someone.

If I wanted to have a pristine home with no dog hair, no dog smell and the smell of bleach everywhere I'm sure I could. I'm too busy having a life to bother TBH. The house is a clean as any other persons who has a dog as a pet. (except for those "owners" whos dog spends it's life out the back watching family life from a distance)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

[FONT=&quot]

Ah I dream of the day when I can go to bed and the pup will be old enough to jump on then end of the bed and go asleep - no more midnight trips outisde or in the early hours of the morning for poo-patrol! :pac:

Yep, My dog stinks.
    he loves playing in the garden, mucky puddles and he adores the rain. As such, he always has that "wet dog" smell.
    I get cuddles on the couch every evening

An intelligent assumption.

(Ofcourse I know you were being sarcastic....give me a stick and ill play with it...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

OP what you aid about dog poo is not flly correct.

Cat poo is lethal for blindness in kids etc.

However human poo, rodents, cat pee and poo are far more harmful than dog poo.

It's my dog's farts which are the toxic ones

You ignorant nasty person

?
    The house is a clean as any other persons who has a dog as a pet.

I'm sure it it. I was being sarcastic like you. Can't take it don't .......

wexford202 wrote: »
    OP what you aid about dog poo is not flly correct.

Cat poo is lethal for blindness in kids etc.

However human poo, rodents, cat pee and poo are far more harmful than dog poo.

It's my dog's farts which are the toxic ones
    Dog feces can transmit worms and other parasites, Campylobacter and Leptospira. Dog poop can lead to blindness in small children if exposed to too much of it. (And yes a child can just a easily pick something up in the garden but at least ‘the house’ is one less place)

[FONT=&quot]
    Well if I wouldn't have dogs in the house neither would I have cats

[/FONT]Some of the ways a dog or cat can obtain parasities, viruses from their own poop include rolling in their feces, pawing at it or even eating. It doesn’t take a mental giant to see the link between contact with dog/cat poop and potential health compromises.

I'm sure it it. I was being sarcastic like you.
    I wasn't being sarcastic! My dog does love to play outdoors, and I am glad that I can over look the wet dog smell that hangs around for a while after he's been out (or worse, the freshly baked wet dog smell when he comes in wet and sits under the rad). That wasn't sarcasm. Honestly.

However, I'm sorry for calling you nasty if you did mean that comment to be taken as sarcasm. I didn't read it like that, I just saw a poster, who came into an animal forum to tell most people that they have smelly houses, then quote me and say that MY house stinks. I'm sure you can see how that could be read as nasty and rude?

Every aspect of life brings with it elements that you would rather do without. For me, and most dog lovers, simply hoovering more often, washing floors and your dogs bedding and washing your hands 100 times a day, is well worth the love and companionship you get from a dog. (and a cat for that matter, I'm the lucky owner of both)

OP I am somewhat surprised that you chose the dog to pick on.

A cats litter tray is by far more gross than any smell of dog in a house. A dog a least doesn't take a dump in the house (Once properly toilet trained) A cat using a litter tray is just disgusting at every level.

Yes a og may poo in some different areas of the garden but a bird poos everywhere, all wildlife will go to the toilet anywhere and everywhere so your concern about dog poo is a bit silly. A child couls stick its hand in bird ****e just as easily.

Some houses I will agree stink of dogs but others don't.

I am very much of the opinion that one is enough to be let into any house. My sister has 3 and her house stinks of dog.

I wasn't being sarcastic! My dog does love to play outdoors, and I am glad that I can over look the wet dog smell that hangs around for a while after he's been out (or worse, the freshly baked wet dog smell when he comes in wet and sits under the rad). That wasn't sarcasm. Honestly.

However, I'm sorry for calling you nasty if you did mean that comment to be taken as sarcasm. I didn't read it like that, I just saw a poster, who came into an animal forum to tell most people that they have smelly houses, then quote me and say that MY house stinks. I'm sure you can see how that could be read as nasty and rude?

Every aspect of life brings with it elements that you would rather do without. For me, and most dog lovers, simply hoovering more often, washing floors and your dogs bedding and washing your hands 100 times a day, is well worth the love and companionship you get from a dog. (and a cat for that matter, I'm the lucky owner of both)

Happy times.

Finally I'm getting somewhere!

You have answered my query well. I suppose the under-lining question really was 'do they bloody know the dog is stinking up the house/do they have any cope on that the house stinks'. You obviously do and take measures to try and prevent this.

wexford202 wrote: »
    OP I am somewhat surprised that you chose the dog to pick on.

A cats litter tray is by far more gross than any smell of dog in a house. A dog a least doesn't take a dump in the house (Once properly toilet trained) A cat using a litter tray is just disgusting at every level.

Yes a og may poo in some different areas of the garden but a bird poos everywhere, all wildlife will go to the toilet anywhere and everywhere so your concern about dog poo is a bit silly. A child couls stick its hand in bird ****e just as easily.

Some houses I will agree stink of dogs but others don't.

I am very much of the opinion that one is enough to be let into any house. My sister has 3 and her house stinks of dog.

I have to confess I have never owned/being around cats. So I don't know what there like. nor do I want to get to know.

And yes id agree, if I did [FONT=&quot]succumb[/FONT], a max of one.

I have to confess I have never owned/being around cats. So I don't know what there like. nor do I want to get to know.

And yes id agree, if I did [FONT=&quot]succumb[/FONT], a max of one.

See... that's where I think it's a little unfair to target dogs.
    Cats whilst somewhat cleaner, can get to more places than dogs can. Like your kitchen table, your grill, your counter tops, as for litter trays..
    Now I've never owned a cat but a friend of over 14years has had cats all her life, and I've spent a lot of time in her house so I know what they're like. Nothing against cats whatsoever btw but I'd be more reluctant to let a cat into my kitchen than a dog because I know where they can get to.

There are lots of animals that can make a house smell.
    There are lots of houses that smell without animals.

Each to their own, but most people (not all) do make extra care to keep their house clean, thus less animal smell.

I have two Lhasa Apso, one is almost 3 and the other is 8months old. Yes there are times when they themselves smell a little (usually before the groomers) or well the pup did when she was very young because she couldn't clean herself properly. But our house doesn't 'stink' , or even smell of dog I'd say. My room might smell a little in the morning, but that's because they sleep in their baskets in there. But I air it out, I put their baskets out to air and I hoover a lot.
    They both love their cuddles too, and love to be played with.

See... that's where I think it's a little unfair to target dogs.
    Cats whilst somewhat cleaner, can get to more places than dogs can. Like your kitchen table, your grill, your counter tops, as for litter trays..
    Now I've never owned a cat but a friend of over 14years has had cats all her life, and I've spent a lot of time in her house so I know what they're like. Nothing against cats whatsoever btw but I'd be more reluctant to let a cat into my kitchen than a dog because I know where they can get to.

There are lots of animals that can make a house smell.
    There are lots of houses that smell without animals.

Each to their own, but most people (not all) do make extra care to keep their house clean, thus less animal smell.

I have two Lhasa Apso, one is almost 3 and the other is 8months old. Yes there are times when they themselves smell a little (usually before the groomers) or well the pup did when she was very young because she couldn't clean herself properly. But our house doesn't 'stink' , or even smell of dog I'd say. My room might smell a little in the morning, but that's because they sleep in their baskets in there. But I air it out, I put their baskets out to air and I hoover a lot.
    They both love their cuddles too, and love to be played with.

To me I really am looking at this thread and thinking that I am grateful that I have a dog as they appear to me the most hygienic pet to have in the house. As you said they can't walk all over counters etc when they are inside. They don't poo or pee inside. Mine doesn't eat inside so it is really a sofa buddy.

Yes maybe a little smelly if not washed, groomed etc including their bed but generally the smell comes from the bed or blanket and not the dog. My sister has cats and they actually crawl everywhere. My mother has just one cat and that is enough to bear as it is easier to keep tabs on one than 4.

I think maybe at the end of the day one of any kind of animal is enough to have in th house unless you are a stay at home person or a clean freak like Monica off friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

maybe my house stinks if it does i havnt noticed,and i dont care if it does..my dogs are my family(to me)and if anyone had a problem with it i would rather they stayed away,having dogs is a major part of my life my house is just where we all live,im not so house proud that i would punish the dogs by keeping them in the garden the house is just as much theirs,its a clean well kept house its in no way dirty!! i feel sorry for dogs who live in a garden whats the point in that?you cant enjoy your pet!!

Advertisement