Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old holy medal

• 31-08-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

upon digging up the floor in a very old house, built 1800s i found an old holy medal it seams much bigger than the normal holy medals we would have and is silvery colour with writing and a picture of the sacred heart on it,and shamrocks around it, i wonder where i might find out about this medal, how old it is etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

bubbles747 wrote: »
    upon digging up the floor in a very old house, built 1800s i found an old holy medal it seams much bigger than the normal holy medals we would have and is silvery colour with writing and a picture of the sacred heart on it,and shamrocks around it, i wonder where i might find out about this medal, how old it is etc.

Post a large scan of it, both sides and I might be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

My first thought is is there any significance in finding a medal under the floor?

Just interstested if it might have been put there for some specific reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bubbles747

i dont have a scanner but will put up a photo soon, it was a dirt floor i dug it up from and there was old pipes too and general household things so i dont think it could be specifically placed there, cant waut to dig up the rest of the floor!:D

uploaded pictures

not very good pictures!:o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Is that a St christopher medal?
    Does the main figure have a child on his back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

bubbles747 wrote: »
    i dont have a scanner but will put up a photo soon, it was a dirt floor i dug it up from and there was old pipes too and general household things so i dont think it could be specifically placed there, cant waut to dig up the rest of the floor!:D

If you find any intact bottles or clay smoking pipes let me know!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Too blurry to be able to give you any specific information about it but these types of medals are quite common, so don't have much value.

yes id imagine they are quite common, but its not value im interested in, its just to know how old it might be? to see does it fit in with the former residents of my old house! no its not a st christophers medal its a sacred heart medal.

Try Googling what's written around the edges of both sides

• Advertisement
Advertisement