Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone internet costs when roaming?

• 31-08-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Rang up vodafone today and was asking a girl there what it would cost to use my mobile for internet access in holland. She went to get the answer and in the meantime I was cut off.

Rang up again and a lady told me it would be 12+vat (!!!!) per day.

Then the first girl rang me back and said it would be 99c a day. I asked her why did the other person say 12 euro plus, and she said that was the cost of using you mobile as a modem to connect rather than just connecting via the phone.

This doesn't seem to make sense to me; has anyone had any experience of this. All I wanna do is use my mobile while at a record fair to check pricing online.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

To browse the net on vodafone live apn, its 99cent a day for 50mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's 2 different APNs (main ones anyway). As Davy says the Live APN is 99c / 50MB / day. Once you're using the Live APN and it works you won't be charged any other rates.

The agent may have been referring to the ISP rates.

If you bought your phone from Vodafone the connection "Vodafone Live" should already be stored in your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭edzillion

Actually it's a andriod g1 phone;

I just noticed this thread which seems to imply that the internet acces is limited on the €10 / 500meg plan:
    The "live" APN is really designed for access through the Vodafone Live homepage. If you want to use opera to access the web, you need to use the
    isp.vodafone.ie APN. This is a different addon and you need the 1GB ISP addon rather than the one that you have.

I don't really know what he means here. Can I use normal internet apps / browse any site I want to?

Ed

Some applications are restricted. I've used Opera Mini with the Live APN as well as Google maps, inbuilt Symbian email and web browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

not sure if others have noticed you ware looking for prices of Data usage WHILE ABROAD....this will be more than 99cent per day.

From looking at Vodafone website : ( €14.58 per day 50MB usage )

https://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/roaming/connect/mobilebroadband/

Give Vodafone a buzz and ask if theres any data package you can buy for usage abroad - if you get a similar customer service person (as skilled as the previous two) ...then ask to be transferred to the data team (who only work 9-5pm I think) ....and ask them for the advice you need.

• Advertisement

If you are using your mobile phone and the Live access point then you won't be charged more than 99c / day for 50MB. Once the Live APN works then this is what you'll be charged.

You're quoting prices for something else PCPhoto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

PCPhoto wrote: »
    not sure if others have noticed you ware looking for prices of Data usage WHILE ABROAD....this will be more than 99cent per day.

No it won't, vodafone live is 99c per day in every country that vodafone have a data roaming agreement with. The furthest away I've used it is South Africa and it was 99c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

No it won't, vodafone live is 99c per day in every country that vodafone have a data roaming agreement with. The furthest away I've used it is South Africa and it was 99c

Indeed it is and a very good deal. Especially when compared to the gougers in O2 who charge an arm and a leg for using O2 in Newry, never mind Capetown.

edzillion wrote: »
    Rang up vodafone today and was asking a girl there what it would cost to use my mobile for internet access in holland. She went to get the answer and in the meantime I was cut off.

Rang up again and a lady told me it would be 12+vat (!!!!) per day.

Then the first girl rang me back and said it would be 99c a day. I asked her why did the other person say 12 euro plus, and she said that was the cost of using you mobile as a modem to connect rather than just connecting via the phone.

This doesn't seem to make sense to me; has anyone had any experience of this. All I wanna do is use my mobile while at a record fair to check pricing online.

Ladies and Gents in reply to you all - the OP is looking for prices of Data Usage WHILE ABROAD (Holland) ..... its 99cent per day in IRELAND .... which is why I quoted the Voda site saying its €14 per day.

Ladies and Gents in reply to you all - the OP is looking for prices of Data Usage WHILE ABROAD (Holland) ..... its 99cent per day in IRELAND .... which is why I quoted the Voda site saying its €14 per day.
    I refer you to here and here.

The Live APN is the same price EVERYWHERE, in ANY COUNTRY, ANYWHERE. Once the Live APN works then it's the 99c deal.

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »

The Live APN is the same price EVERYWHERE, in ANY COUNTRY, ANYWHERE. Once the Live APN works then it's the 99c deal.

I might stand corrected - BUT I'm only giving the information I could find on the Vodafone website - which is for usage of Internet Abroad.

Hopefully the OP will be able to tell us a couple of weeks after the visit to Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I might stand corrected - BUT I'm only giving the information I could find on the Vodafone website - which is for usage of Internet Abroad.

Hopefully the OP will be able to tell us a couple of weeks after the visit to Holland.

Does this clear it up for you>?

pricingfaqsvodafoneirel.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I already said I used it in South Africa. I've also used it all over Europe, including Amsterdam. It's definitely 99c per day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It's definitely 99c per day

Or if you want the long version, Internet access from the phone using the live.vodafone.com apn is 99c per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Random wrote: »

yeap

using it while in spain now. 99c a day

Advertisement