Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar Panel Orientation

• 31-08-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Will be getting floors in shortly to trying to tie down solar system layout. I have attached a picture in plan view of our site. Originally I was thinking of putting all the panels on the garage and running back into the house, as its a decent run it is not really efficient.

The other plan is to put them on the house in a SE / NW configuration the run is much shorter but approx. what impact does the configuration have on the overall efficiency?

Another question Is there an actual calculation that can be carried out to see if you require a 'Heat dump'...or should all systems have a heat dump as std?

300L SS tank
    Pressurized system
    Water supply from well and is hard
    3-4 Occupants
    Roof pitch 45 degrees

SolarLayout.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

I would be inclined to mount the panels S.E. the loss in efficiency approx 15% can be compensated for by adding an extra panel or larger array of tubes.

The heat dump will allow you to over compensate a little more extending the amount of time in spring / autumn you have hot water without having to use your immersion or boiler, it also means you don't have to be concerned about any excess heat generated in mid summer or when on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mazotasan

Cheers Pete, I need to check to see exactly how much I can fit on the SE Roof...the shape is not really lending itself to more than two but will check with CAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Another alternative would be to put one on the S.W. facing roof and one on the S.E. facing roof. You should have enough space on the roof for this to work also any north facing solar panel will not produce very much heat.

Advertisement