Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More questions on junior infants and food.

Options
  • 31-08-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

It's me again with yet more questions!

Okay so I just noticed that for the first two weeks my little one's school is closing at 12 noon- does this mean she doesnt need a lunch? What time do they usually have lunch?

Next question! Normally the school will close at 1.40 for junior infants. So she will have had lunch in school but we will not be home and having dinner until 6.30 or 7 pm. So would a snack at 4 pm sound right? Any suggestions for the snack? I want to set up a healthy eating pattern for her so I'd love some advice please from other parents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For early finishes, something simple would be useful.

I used to have a jam sandwich or similar at about 4pm. My nieces tend to go for a packet of Koka noodles.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Children will need something to eat and drink for the morning break. Don't give one of those foil packs of drinks, they tend to squirt like a fountain when the child puts the straw in.

When she does the full infant day she will need a small break snack and her lunch, usually had around 12.30 ish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

my little one is starting junior infants tomorrow and is finishing at 12.30 also. we've been told they will be having a small break, so to pack something small, I've just put in a banana some grapes, a homemade carrot cake/bun and a frozen frube plus some juice. He can take his pick then of what he wants and I can play it by ear for the rest of the week. he never usually stops eating, so I hope he can hold on for his break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I really appreciate the advice.

Honestly I was about to pack her off to school without any thing to eat when I saw that she was coming out at 12- she normally wouldn't eat anything between breakfast and lunch. Thank goodness for your advice- I packed some crackers and cheese, a yoghurt and a mini banana. All the other children had similar ( or so I'm told) and it came back empty anyway.

She skipped out of school, happy, today.

Mind you, she said tonight that she doesnt want to go tomorrow- oh dear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Wantobe ,the second day thing is common, she'll be grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement