Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography...one year...possible ?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

So I'm repeating and need to take up a subject. Geography has been suggested to me by a couple of people... any thoughts on this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Calum196 wrote: »
    So I'm repeating and need to take up a subject. Geography has been suggested to me by a couple of people... any thoughts on this ?

I think its very do-able in one year! you do a project which is 20% of your overall mark and the rest of the course is fairly easy.Its just learning!!Did you do geog for the junior cert?parts of that course are still in the leaving course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Yeah I did it for JC. I had a terrible teacher though and only got a C. I need an A1 this year. Ant good revision books out there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Business is a really good subject aswell I think to do in one year. There is no project work and just theory. However, I suppose like geography, of which I didnt do, there is a lot of theory in it.
    Also,If you are good and are interested in maths, Id advise applied maths aswell. Very nice subject, did it in 7 months and got an A1. My personal favourite subject in the LC. But only if you like maths....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

I may have to do business and geography in one year. I don't think I could put myself through honors english again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Calum196 wrote: »
    I may have to do business and geography in one year. I don't think I could put myself through honors english again.

I think your wise to drop english. Its such an unpredictable subject and there is so much new course work. But on the other hand you'd be almost guaranteed that they wont make the same mistake like last year with paper2!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Did 2 weeks of geography before the LC (HL), learned off a couple of countries and a field study, got a C1, very achievable and a couple of my friends got D1s after being in the class for 2 years!! retards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

From my experience, I'd say no.

I found it really hard to learn all I had to learn in two years. I don't know how it'd be possible in one. Then again, maybe it was because of the pace my teacher went at, and the way she taught I found it so difficult. I had a humongous folder full of notes to learn, but I was covering all possibilities of questions that could come up. If I had took some more chances and made more predictions it might have been easier though :rolleyes: !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I think it would be doable, some of it you'll probably know from JC anyway. There's nothing particularly difficult on the course, like li-evo7 said it's mostly learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dec0512

it is if you study hard, lad in my class started it at the start of the year,ended up doing better than alot that were in the class for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Yeah, definately possible.

Geog is pretty predicable and, like in Business, common sense goes a long way.

Buy edco exam papers and print off all the sample answers. Read through them, they're pretty simple to learn off tbh. You'll also learn how to get away with making up facts and getting marks for doing so.

A few people I know took up Geography when repeating, and doing little or no work all year, managed to get a C1 by just reading through the examit sample answers the night before.

The project is worth 20%, and if you put any effort at all into it, and pay attention to the marking scheme, you should get at least 18% for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If you start by getting all the essays at the start of the year or at Christmas, then an A1 should be easy. I got a B3 with a sub standard project that I wrote up in one night for the most part and not much study except the night before so it's not overly difficult, I just wish I'd have looked at it a bit more :( you only need to make 12 points for an essay to get full marks which isn't that difficult once you get the gist of it. If you start learning them early then you're totally sorted imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Liam O wrote: »
    If you start by getting all the essays at the start of the year or at Christmas, then an A1 should be easy. I got a B3 with a sub standard project that I wrote up in one night for the most part and not much study except the night before so it's not overly difficult, I just wish I'd have looked at it a bit more :( you only need to make 12 points for an essay to get full marks which isn't that difficult once you get the gist of it. If you start learning them early then you're totally sorted imo.

Actually you need 15 srps for a 30 marker. Maybe you are talking about in 2006 when they had overall cohesion marks for the 30 markers aswell as the 80 which meant you had less srps to write. The reason they got rid of the OCs for the 30 markers was because teachers werent giving the full OC marks available even when students presented fantastic answers.

Anyways if you have a bit of cop on and learn the notes you will at least get a B1. The JC is huge advatage for geography in terms of being able to identify landforms etc.

This is what I studied for leaving cert geography and got an A1 this year.

Short questions

Know how to identify landforms on an os map or photograph or diagram.
    Know how to give grid references for an os map and how to give locations on an aerial photograph for both oblique and vertical.
    Be able to classify regions into their distinctive categories eg. administrative, cultural etc.
    Be able to read graphs and interperate them.

You should get a high mark in the shorts alone fi you can do the above but they also throw in stuff on plate tectonics etc.

Physical

You can get away with this I think anyway because there is too much:

Know the development of a landform of deposition ( ox bow lake ) and erosion ( waterfall ).

Know how humans effect eg. fluvial processes. You can do other human interactions but most students do fluvial. eg. Dams etc.

Know how humans interact with the rock cycle. eg. quarrying

Know how limestone is produced and how itself produces a distinictive landscape eg. clints, grikes, crazy paved slabs etc.

Know a surface ( limestone pavement ) and sub surface ( limstone cavern including staligmites,'' '' '' tites etc. ) feature of a karst region. I thought they were going to be specific this year about the feature but instead they gave a general question about how sedimentary rocks are produced. So you could talk about limestone for the most part then briefly mention sandstone giving examples of locations.

I didnt really study plate tectonics as the questions can be tricky at times and you dont know what the examiner is looking for. Isostatic processes my teacher told me are a load of ****e and they just put them on the exam paper to fill up space. Very hard to get full marks.

Regional

Know an Irish peripheral ( west of ireland ) and core ( dublin ) region and be able to discuss primary, secondary and tertiary activities in the region(s). Also be able to draw an outline map of the regions.

Know an european peripheral ( mezzogiorno ) and core ( paris basin ) and be able to discuss primary, secondary and tertiary activities in the region(s). Also be able to draw an outline map of the regions.

Know a continental/ sub continental region eg. Egypt ( very few schools do it but we did it ) and again be able to discuss primary secondary and tertiary activities in the region in question.Be also able to draw the map aswell like the others!

Be able to discuss the effects of european union expansion on ireland. Comes up a lot and it came up in my exam paper!:)

Some say you should cover a region of industrial decline eg. nord but you can only cover so much. you only need to be able to answer 1/3 questions in the regional section.

Elective

I myself found this the toughest and tedious section and we did the human one. Some do the economic one but it is harder. in the human one you need to be able to discuss over population, migration..,etc. stuff like that. Also knowing os maps is your firend because you could get a nice question on settlement patterns, hisotrical settlement etc. so its an easy 30 marks if you have any cop on.

Option

The option is an essay style question and its entire worth is 80 marks. I would advice tackling this question first in the exam as it can be long. Up to 3 pages!:pac:

I covered the geo-ecology option and studied the hot desert biome under:

(1) Climate, Fauna ( animals ), Flora ( plants),a nd soil

(2) Human impact on the hot desert. eg. global warming, tourism eg. dirt bikes, dune buggies etc.

Thats kinda it really! My teacher is an advising examiner in it so he knew what he was on about! I foyu want any notes or anything I can see what I can muster up! that includes anybody else sitting 2010 LC geography.

Advertisement