Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In The Well: Michellenman

• 31-08-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread, it is time for our second brave volunteer to face the questions. She just can't stop shopping, it's Michellenman!

*applause*

For those of you who are unsure of how this works, please read the thread I linked to above.

A few rules:

1. Keep questions limited to fashion/appearance issues
    2. No personal questions
    3. No discussion of the answers. Questions only and only Michellenman answers them.

If you want to add your name to the list you can do so in the thread linked to above.

I will leave this thread open for a week or so.

My first question for Michellenman. Given that I'm utterly swamped with things to do right now, do you have any secrets for getting dressed and looking well in a rush or do you just throw on whatever is closest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

janeybabe wrote: »
    Following on from this thread, it is time for our second brave volunteer to face the questions. She just can't stop shopping, it's Michellenman!

*applause*

Aw, *blush*
    My first question for Michellenman. Given that I'm utterly swamped with things to do right now, do you have any secrets for getting dressed and looking well in a rush or do you just throw on whatever is closest?

It depends where I'm going really. If I'm going to the shops then I'll just wear whatever I've got on, obviously but if I'm heading out and want to make an effort to look nice and I haven't got much time then I'll put on a skirt or dress. It's just as easy to throw those on as it is jeans or tracksuit bottoms and it's looks nicer (imo, anyway).

Glitzy pumps are also nice to dress something up when you're in a rush.

My one 'tip' so to speak (it's not really a tip.. ) is if I can't find a pair of black tights without a ladder then I'll wear two pairs of laddered tights that have the ladders in different places. Saves me spending ages rooting around for a pair of tights and it makes them look even darker. I hate that look that happens with tights where they're really dark around my lower legs and then all stretched looking around my thighs and this solves the problem. It also has some of the same effect of those shaping tights and they're extra warm without being woolly!

I'm a stickler for having my nails painted all the time too, makes me feel 'finished' and it can be done whnever and is always ready for when I'm going out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I really like that laddered tights idea! Gonna try that tonight when I clean out my sock/tights drawer!

As for my question, do you have a "go too outfit" - if you can't find anything to wear be it a day/night, is their an outfit that you always fall back on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

As a fellow Maynoothian (:pac:) do you spend a lot of time thinking aboutwhat to wear to college in the mornings or is it a race against the clock? Whatya make of 'fashion' on a campus anyway? Is somebody presumed to automatically be an an idiot for tucking his Cavan jersey into his jeans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Who is your style icon, or do you have one?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

What kind of style do you like on guys, and does what a guy is wearing affect your perceptions of them? (both in matters of love and lust and in normal situations! :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Most expensive item you own? Was it worth it?

Are you a big make-up wearer? What can you not live without?

PrivateEye wrote: »
    As a fellow Maynoothian (:pac:) do you spend a lot of time thinking aboutwhat to wear to college in the mornings or is it a race against the clock?

Anything that gives me extra time in bed is what I go for. Generally this means I decide what I'm gonna wear the next day the night before (lame, I know) it also means putting any make up on while I'm on the train. I mostly wear jeans and shirts to college, depending on the weather or my mood. If it's raining them I'm in skirts (I HATE that feeling of wet trousers against my ankles!!) and tops. I just bought three new skirts last week so I'll be trying them out come the twenty first. Be sure to compliment me if you see me around campus :pac:
    Whatya make of 'fashion' on a campus anyway?

I haven't a problem. I think Maynooth has some good fashionistas around the place. Obviously some people take it too far (imo) but you see that everywhere. There's an awful lot of abercrombie and fitch heads around the place too, not my style really but each to their own :)
    Is somebody presumed to automatically be an an idiot for tucking his Cavan jersey into his jeans?

:D Just the image alone is making me grin.

Ah I wouldn't classify him as an idiot for that but clothes are the first thing you see on a stranger that you can judge them on to get an idea of who they are and what they're in to. You've probably seen it around college yourself, people in their GAA tracksuits hang around together, the lads and ladies in their American Eagle and A&F group together and the peeps in full length leather jackets and knee high black buckled boots are buds. Clothes bring people together (altogether now... AWW!)
    Novella wrote: »
    Who is your style icon, or do you have one?

I really don't have one. I like what I wear and I wear what I like.
    wixfjord wrote: »
    What kind of style do you like on guys, and does what a guy is wearing affect your perceptions of them? (both in matters of love and lust and in normal situations! :pac:)

I like casual clothes on guys, I'm all for tshirts and jeans and cords and the likes. I do love graphic/band tshirts on guys though, and bright colours. There's nothing less attractive (clothes-wise) than a guy in a plain black tshirt and jeans. So unimaginative. It's nice to see guys wearing stuff that's a little more daring too!

Yeah what people wear would affect if I was attracted to them or not, for sure. For example a guy in a tracksuit would do nothing for me and I cannot stand that look that loads of guys my ages seem to think is savage; the pink shirts, grey pinstripe slacks, a waistcoat and black leather shoes, it's just not attractive to me. I suppose you could say that I like 'indie' style clothes on a guy but not to the ultra extreme of skinny skinny skinny jeans and those elf-y looking shoes. :)

fonpokno wrote: »
    Most expensive item you own? Was it worth it?

Are you a big make-up wearer? What can you not live without?

Hmmm most expensive item I own is probably one of my debs dresses. Most expensive everyday item is probably a top I bought in River Island a few months ago, cost me about 60 quid. Which is super expensive for me considering I never spend more than €30 on clothes generally. Before that it was a Prada purse that my aunt had bought for me, it cost about €130 at the time (about 5 years ago) but I lost it/it was stolen in January :(. I loved it, I was actually distraught when I realised it was gone. I paid for my taxi outside my house after a night out and it was gone by the time I got to my front door. :(

Eh, day to day I wear minimal make up; concealer, transulscent powder, mascara. Eh, I probably could not live without the first two and some lip balm. On nights out I go all out, I'm allllll about the eyes then. Loads of mascara, eyeliners, smokey eyes the lot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Same question I asked the last person stuck down the well:

Slickest man alive?

Hats? Do you wear them? What do you think of them on lads?

CoachBoone wrote: »
    Same question I asked the last person stuck down the well:

Slickest man alive?

Hats? Do you wear them? What do you think of them on lads?

Slickest man alive for me would probably be Zac Efron *cringe*. He knows how to dress. In saying that, I don't particularly like the slick look.

Look at him!
    2678091889_a7bbea5be1.jpgzac-and-vanessa-gg2009.jpg
    I love hats and if I'm honest, they look great on me. I'm just a hat kinda person. Also i much prefer them to hoods so I wear them a lot during winter, although at the moment I have really short hair so when I wear hats they make me look a bit bald. Hopefully once Winter sets in properly my hair will be long enough to stick out the sides a bit. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Evidence

I like the on guys too. Men don't have as many options as women to accessorise and I think hats are one of the best ways they can do it without going over the top.

In conclusion: Hats are a wonderful thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Oh Michellenman, you have excellent taste in men. There should be no cringing for thinking Zac Efron is gorgeous... . *drools*

What's your favourite high street shop?

What's your favourite online shop?

Do you have a preference for certain types of hats?

What current fashion trend do you love?

What current fashion trend do you hate?

fonpokno wrote: »
    Oh Michellenman, you have excellent taste in men. There should be no cringing for thinking Zac Efron is gorgeous... . *drools*

Yay! A fellow Zefronian!!

What's your favourite high street shop?

Topshop. Well... only their sale section haha.
    What's your favourite online shop?

I've never bought clothes online. I love the clothes I've seen on ASOS but never actually shelled out cash for them. I buy quite a bit of make up online though. Bought a frick load of ELF make up there about 3 weeks ago. Superb quality for the price you're paying, I would DEFINITELY reccommend buying there to anyone! DO IT!
    Do you have a preference for certain types of hats?

I like woolly hats best (the hat in that pic above got squished under a million gym bags coming home from my holiday :(). Colourful hats, hats that are too big and you can fold around, and of course the typical student hat. I'll really wear anything that'll keep my cosy. I'm not mad on caps though and I don't really accessorise with hats on a night out. I use them specifically for keeping my head toasty :)
    What current fashion trend do you love?

I'm all about the high waisted tulip skirt right now. Bought three in the last week.

What current fashion trend do you hate?

Neon colours. They're on their way out but My God I hated them while they were here. That and tight dresses that have cut out sides on stuff on them. I just do not see the appeal in them.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Great answers so far Ive another few if thats allowed!

Firstly what are your favourite brands (ie not stores, but brands)?

What 3 items would you buy with unlimited fundage?

What is your opinion on Irish shopping and what brands/stores do you think are missing?

wixfjord wrote: »
    Great answers so far Ive another few if thats allowed!

Firstly what are your favourite brands (ie not stores, but brands)?

Hmmm... brands I don't really buy but I would stock up on the entire back catalogue of Heatherette clothing. I LOVE it. It's just so out there but still mostly wearable... kinda hahah
    What 3 items would you buy with unlimited fundage?

That is so difficult to answer!!

Eh... this heatherette dress: http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/10-19/heatherette_spring_2008_run_400.jpg

These heels: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nuAdYLOOAMs/RzDbeN28PGI/AAAAAAAAA_g/CyY2oU25t68/s320/0452579215789_275x275.jpg

And eh... probably this jacket!
    http://www.fashion-era.com/images/2006_trends/primarkvelve15.jpg

That last jakcet is Penneys I think, it counts as I'm unbelievably broke at the moment!

What is your opinion on Irish shopping and what brands/stores do you think are missing?

I think we're missing a lot of easily accessible originality. Loads of shops stock the same gear which is a bit crap cause then everyone looks relatively the same (in truth I'm no exclusion), you see the same styles in Topshop, river island, oasis, vera moda etc which is so unfortunate :(

In saying that I have no idea how to fix it haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Electronica has been part of fashion for a few decades now from the walkman and brick sized mobilephone to the iPod and Blackberries. Is your phone an essential or an accessory?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Electronica has been part of fashion for a few decades now from the walkman and brick sized mobilephone to the iPod and Blackberries. Is your phone an essential or an accessory?

I wouldn't really say it's either! When I was younger I really went in for the newest, prettiest phones that were purple and sparkly and could take a million pictures while blaring Cascada at the same time but I got over that pretty quickly. Nowaday I have a basic black nokia, it has a camera but most phones these days do, and is pretty bricky. It does the basics, text and talk and alarm which is all I use it for... So it is most definitely not an accessory. In saying that it's not an essential for me either. I could easily go without it for a day/week/month. It would make life a little more difficult but anyone that would need to get in contact with me has my home number and my home addess and if it was really urgent they'd find a way to talk to me. Don't get me wrong though, mobiles are super handy. They make life easier but it wouldn't be impossible to live without.

What would we find in your make up bag?!

Jeepers creepers, what wouldn't you find in my make up bag!

I keep several shades of foundation and concealer and powder. I've at least three different blushes, and different types of blushes, powder ones, cream ones, stick ones. I have literally hundreds of eyeshadows (One set I own has 120 in it alone) as well as loads of individual colours. I go a bit mad with them, I just stock up on colours, wear them once and then inevitably go back to wearing various shades of brown. I'm not mad on eyeliners or mascaras, I use a basic black rimmel one that does the job for me.

Good God I have 20/30 different nail polishes too. I used to bite my nails up until I was about 14 or so. When I stopped I decided to treat myself with a new colour and it kind of just spiralled. I'm not mad on the usual colours though, I wear a lot of yellows and oranges and greens and blues and bright pinks, in Winter I wear darker colours, lots of navy and forest green and plum colours (every now and then I paint every finger a different colour and pretend I'm eight again :P). I bought seven different colours from that ELF site there a few weeks ago so I've been trying them out for the last few weeks, the florescent pink in gorgeous as is the navy one!

If you were to rummage through my bag you'd also probably find close to a gazillion lip balms. Anything that smells delicious and makes my lips kissably soft and smoooooth makes Michelle a happy camper. I literally can't walk in to boots without walking out with some sort of lip product... it really something I need to cut down on! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

What one item in your wardrobe could you not live without?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What horror of horrors lurks at the back of your wardrobe, or crammed in the back of the bottom drawer? In other words what fashion faux pas did you make in the past that will never ever see the light of day again yet you can't make yourself throw it away? :P

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

What one item in your wardrobe could you not live without?

My wardrobe is in an absolute state a the moment tbh. I used to looooove just keeping everything figuring that I'd wear it again( like I'm ever gonna fit in to my confirmation clothes again :P) but then recently I threw loads out. I was hoping that in the process I'd find some real gems that I had forgotten about but twas not the case :(. It's all just tops and skirts and a few pairs of jeans and countless dresses. There isn't really one key thing I could live without. Except maybe this amazing electric blue leather bag I have that I bought years ago. It's the perfect size, not too big, not too small. It can fit everything I could possibly need without looking like it's bulging at the seems. It's got a perfect number of compartments so things don't get lost easily but at the same time everything isn't in different pockets. I looooooooove it.

Clothes wise I don't have much I could live without. I tend to buy from season to season instead of the doing the smart thing and buy staple items that can be worn all year round and for years to come. So I've put together my dream list of things I'd love to have that I can't live without...if that makes sense :P

1. A coat. A proper warm and waterproof one that is light but toasty. It'd make walking from the train to college sooooo much easier and much more pleasent. I'm short (5ft) so getting one that's in proportion to the rest of my body is quite difficult, I always end up looking somewhat stumpy and short arsed.

2. Boots. A pair of flat or maybe with a small heel, thick warm waterproof boots. Maynooth is reknowned for being the rainiest college in Ireland so this really explains itself :P I don't really go in for Uggs tbh, I'm talking knee high/calf high leather boots . Creates a problem because I'm vegetarian and all the vegan and vegetarian boots can be a bit minging. I would buy a pair of expensive boots but they're nearly always leather so I then buy the cheaper alternatives but they fall apart so quickly.

I'm limiting myself to three or else this could just go on and on :P

Finally!

3. The perfect jeans. Sigh, so difficult. I'm not talking about fit here, I'm talking colour, shape, texture, washability and then fit. Soooo hard to find. Any other short ladies will know what I mean when I say it's super hard to find jeans in short lengths. There are shops that do do (heh heh) short lengths but they're really not short enough, not even close. I've resigned myself to shopping for them in the petit section Dorothy perkins, don't get me wrong they do some nice stuff and the length is ACTUALLY short but they never do any funky styles. It's always, skinny, straight, boyfriend and slouch. One day I'll find them.... mark my words! :p

OldGoat wrote: »
    What horror of horrors lurks at the back of your wardrobe, or crammed in the back of the bottom drawer? In other words what fashion faux pas did you make in the past that will never ever see the light of day again yet you can't make yourself throw it away? :P

I still have a pair of multi coloured skin tight leggins the loop under the foot that I wore when I was a kid. Good God I'm cringing just thinking of them haha.

The one item that I still have that i can throw away from more recently is probably a jacket that my mam bought for my when I was about 13 or so. It is (oh god...) three quater length blue demin and it has fur trim all down the buttons and around the hood and down around the bottom but! Wait for it.... you can take the demin off and it is a cotton jacket that is QUILTED in this horrible beige-y brown colour. Removing the extra layer makes the fur stand out further and I look something akin to this in it. Oh I thought I was IT when I wore it out and about. Little did I know :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

There's been a lot of talk in recent times about 'statement bags', 'IT shoes' and the likes.

Do you have one key piece in your wardrobe, that you accessorise things around?

Do you have a style icon, or is there anyone whose wardrobe you wouldn't mind being the owner of? If so, why?!

I have a pair of electric blue shoes and a matching handbag that if I'm wearing one I'll wear the other too and then base the rest of what I wear around those. Other than that I don't really have one key piece... unfortunately. :o

I have a million LBD though which I don't make nearly enough use of! I tend to wear bright dresses and skirts, come winter though I'm sure I'll wear them more often :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The time has come to close this thread. :) Thanks to Michellenman for the wonderful answers. It's been a pleasure reading them. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement