Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demand For Investment

• 31-08-2009 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone help explain this to me.

Keynesians think that demand for investment is interest-inelastic. I don't see how.

If Keynesians think that the demand for money is interest-elastic so that a small increase in interest rates will result in a more than proportionate decrease in demand for money.

Demand For Money
    If rates rise a small bit because Keynesians think that money and bonds are close substitutes then they will more than proportionately reduce their demand for money. I presume they invest their money into bonds and investments thus reducing the demand for money. Their rational is that "money and bonds are practically the same thing so I don't mind. I only care about the rate of return."

Demand For Investments
    So where does the money go, I assume that it goes into investments e.g. bonds, projects etc. If Keynesians think that demand for investments is interest-inelastic they believe that a change in interest rate will cause an less than proportionate change, in the opposite direction, into investments.

I would have thought that a change in rate would have caused a larger proportional decrease in demand for money and thus a larger proportional increase in investments.

Where am I going wrong?

:confused:

L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IS/LM_model

"[A] small increase in demand for money will result in a more than proportionate decrease in demand for money." Umm, what? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭legoman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IS/LM_model

"[A] small increase in demand for money will result in a more than proportionate decrease in demand for money." Umm, what? :confused:

Thanks, for the link and thanks for spotting my mistake.

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

legoman wrote: »
    Hi,

Can someone help explain this to me.

Keynesians think that demand for investment is interest-inelastic. I don't see how.

If Keynesians think that the demand for money is interest-elastic so that a small increase in interest rates will result in a more than proportionate decrease in demand for money.

Demand For Money
    If rates rise a small bit because Keynesians think that money and bonds are close substitutes then they will more than proportionately reduce their demand for money. I presume they invest their money into bonds and investments thus reducing the demand for money. Their rational is that "money and bonds are practically the same thing so I don't mind. I only care about the rate of return."

Demand For Investments
    So where does the money go, I assume that it goes into investments e.g. bonds, projects etc. If Keynesians think that demand for investments is interest-inelastic they believe that a change in interest rate will cause an less than proportionate change, in the opposite direction, into investments.

I would have thought that a change in rate would have caused a larger proportional decrease in demand for money and thus a larger proportional increase in investments.

Where am I going wrong?

:confused:

L

Just to clarify something for you, Keynesians don't necessarily think the above, you're just talking about the IS-LM model which is really far too simplistic to be very useful in modelling real economies (or at least in the form you've probably been exposed to). It's more of a teaching tool than anything else. Useful for getting an idea of certain concepts but not "what Keynesians think".

Advertisement