Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Server 2008 Certification

Options
  • 31-08-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Guys,

Been working with SQL Server for the last 3-4 Years,

Have used sql server 2000,2005 and now 2008.

Have a major mission critical project coming in the next 6 - 8 Months which will depend entirely on sql server 2008.

Was thinking of doing a course in Sql Server 2008 as so far ive been learning as I go and thats fine but I need to hit the ground running on this project and I dont want to leave anything to chance.

Any recommendations on what path to follow ?

MCITP or MCTS ?

It will be mainly admin as Im happy with the development side,its only the admin side im interested in.

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well on SQL 2008 there is an MCTS geared at Admin and one at Development.

Its a single exam and will go over most of the admin topics that you will probably come up against in the course of your project. After it you will probably be able to take on the pro exam to achieve MCITP.

Exam 70-432 is the one you want to do. I am planning on doing that fairly soon as part of my MCITP DBA 2005 to 2008 upgrade.

Unfortunately the exam itself isnt geared toward high availabilty databases so you may need to cover a bit of that yourself

You can also get a bit of discount on that exam here

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robbie_62

Hey Ginger,

Thanks for the info,your a legend !

Ive had a look at the course and think I might try the training books instead of doing a course as I cant find any that are not in dublin !

Would you know any books \ sites to recommend ?

Ive had a look at the microsoft book :
    MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-432): Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 - Implementation and Maintenance

But all the reviews state the info is either out of date or just plain incorrect !

Any tips would be greatly appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The problem sometimes with those books is that they go out with errors in them that is why there are errata pages

The errata for that book is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968609/en-us . I just read the review on Amazon.com and the errata list I think takes care of most of the concerns.

You can get a list of all errata for the MS Training kits here

For that exam, you can follow some of the tips I have for 70-431 here. Some of the same principles still apply.

I will hopefully be writing up my 70-432 guide soon when I get around to it.

Advertisement