Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all IT Directors/managers...Oscail

Options
  • 31-08-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I wonder how you rate this course for as a kind of conversion course so to speak as a means for a mid/senior manager to convert over to IT / internet sector at a similar level.

(Background technical and commercial roles mostly in high tech manufacturing/equipment)

Oscail/DCU Masters of Science in Internet Systems

http://www.oscail.ie/msis_syllabi.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 connie00

I can't comment on the actual content or quality of this course, but worth pointing out you will spend a good part of it doing a thesis. From your background seeing as you have management experience you might want to concentrate more on the technology aspects. If management is an exsisting strength I'd look at a technical style course. Of course it depends on your interests not everyone likes studying software or networks, in my experience though it does help to have a technical background

I notice your based in Dublin is there an reason your looking to do it via disatance learning. I'm sure you have a wealth of other courses worth considering up there in Dublin on a part-time attendance basis.

Also just to point out I'm not a director or a manager but have worked in various analyst roles for a number of years now.

cheers,
    Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Thanks for inputs. You're right I dont want to study software and networks in detail although I have a fairly good grasp already.

I see this as 50:50 management systems (business processes, risk mgmt, legal etc etc ) to internet systems.It never seems to get very technical at all. This really is a managers course I guess.

Perhaps I'm mostly attracted mostly by the weight of "DCU", homestudy and future marketability of the qualification and title.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

I'm doing that one right now.
    Seems to be more like an MBA with an internet-y title than anything technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Thanks Ringleader. You have confirmed my impression..

Advertisement