Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The interview with Damien Duff

• 31-08-2009 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Folks,

Thank you all so much for your questions for Damien Duff.

I met him today after he had completed a big round of interviews as part of his Ambassadorship for Lucozade Sports. He seemed tired but was happy to answer a lot of questions.

I asked somewhere in the region of 56 questions. As you can imagine, I couldn't ask all of them (there were some, in fairness, that I doubt the OPs would have asked themselves) but I think we got as comprehensive an interview as we're going to get from it.

Because I can't embed Blip videos here, I had to stick it over on the blog:

http://short.ie/damienduff

I'm aware there's a few things I could have done better - subtitled the questions, added your names, learned how to pronounce some of them etc, but I'm no professional, just wanted to prove the value of engaging on Boards.ie and that you lot know what you're talking about!

All constructive feedback welcomed!

Darragh

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Fair play Darragh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ha ha Des & that stpoooopid question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

"im allways partial to a little siesta like yaknow"

Haha classic Duffer. Brilliant stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

hahahah he actually asked my, at Chelsea did you ever have any late nights out with Adrian Mutu? question... got a lil smile outta Duffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Good stuff.

Fair play to you.

Glad to hear Duffer say Andy Reid could play in Trap's system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Should have told Pat Devlin to piss off at the end there :mad:

Just watched the whole thing, very enjoyable.

fair play to him for doing the interview.

but jaysus he's a dry ****e!

He is most dry in front of the media.

Editors? Cornetto?

Surprised his favourite colour isn't grey!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Oh yeah!!! question number 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

You called us soccer geeks:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ha ha Des & that stpoooopid question!

He didn't like my first question, but there were rumours that he was a Liverpool fan a few years back, I'm glad he said ManU :)

of course you are, you ManU fans like to stick together.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

cornetto

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't see the video. What format is it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Fair play Darragh, I'd say you appreciate the opportunity but Duffer looks like a fúcker to interview! Someone a bit more gabby would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Fair play bud biggrin.gif
    Anyone else find it unusual that he didn't smile when he was asked what
    his favorite ice-cream pacman.gifpacman.gif surely thats not a frequent question pacman.gifpacman.gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I lol'd at hearing my username read out! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Lol, the yellow Newcastle jersey didn't suit his complexion, great answer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Brilliant stuff!

I want my money back!

Darragh why didn't you do the rap at the end?!?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

It looked like he wanted to wrap up that interview after the first question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Jose Mourinho next then yeah? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

In fairness he looked and sounded fairly tired. Fair play for such a good interview - some real nuggets there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Good stuff Darragh and fair play to Duffer for doing it, it's obvious he really doesn't enjoy interviews at all but still seems like a genuinely nice fella. Lol at him going bright red when you mention the younger players looking up to him, he was so embarrassed. No Stephen Ireland questions - off limits?

Wreck wrote: »
    Good stuff Darragh and fair play to Duffer for doing it, it's obvious he really doesn't enjoy interviews at all but still seems like a genuinely nice fella. Lol at him going bright red when you mention the younger players looking up to him, he was so embarrassed. No Stephen Ireland questions - off limits?
    He asked a S.Ireland question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well done Darragh. Great stuff. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

He didn't enjoy that at all, did he? Fair play for doing it though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think he would rather have been in a session of eye acupuncture than do that interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Nice one Darragh.

I'm proud to have a question asked of Duffer on my behalf. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Jaysus, Duff does look a bit knackered there. Fair play Daragh -twas a great interview (5 of my questions too, thanks :)). LOLed very loudly at the Mutu question.

Also he's an Editors fan. Good stuff. Maybe ill see him at their gig in Oct :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

oozing with charisma as always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

His musical taste is fantastic. Good interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

He really didnt seem all that enthusiastic for a ten minute interview, didnt look at all comfortable. Dont think he looked at you Darragh at all during it!

Stephen Carr, toughest full back to play against, wasnt expecting that tbh!:pac:
    Darragh wrote: »

I met him today after he had completed a big round of interviews as part of his Ambassadorship for Lucozade Sports.

In retrospect to be fair, I dont think any player would be that enthusiastic about an interview after a day promoting Lucozade sport. I imagine PR days like that would be completely sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

duffer is as diplomatic as ever, good man for the interview darragh, any more planned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Thanks very much Daragh, you did a superb job but the duffer shouldn't bother tbh if he wants to be somewhere else.

Bad form of him imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Can't believe nobody asked him to say "Hibernian Insurance. Pretty Good." Cringeworthy interview, not the fault of the interviewer though... this is a good concept for boards.ie, just a very tricky candidate to begin with. Highlight was "Smegball wants to know..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Illkillya wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody asked him to say "Hibernian Insurance. Pretty Good." Cringeworthy interview, not the fault of the interviewer though... this is a good concept for boards.ie, just a very tricky candidate to begin with. Highlight was "Smegball wants to know..."

There was two problems.

Darragh not having a clue about football

and the questions not being vetted a huge amount of them questions should never have been asked to a professional footballer ESPECIALLY not duffer you could see he was thinking WTF to half of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Knock him if you want but I'd prefer that to an interview with Robbie Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

ntlbell wrote: »
    There was two problems.

and the questions not being vetted a huge amount of them questions should never have been asked to a professional footballer ESPECIALLY not duffer you could see he was thinking WTF to half of them

Some of the questions were a joke.

Also, Im sure Damien Duff has better things to be doing than answering questions, most of them terrible ones, for internet nerds like ourselves.

Also being asked completly different questions with no run on questions would be a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

He comes across pretty well in the interview. Some very good questions too. Forgot to add one to the thread. D'oh. :o

• Advertisement

There was two problems.

only1stevo wrote: »

Also, Im sure Damien Duff has better things to be doing than answering questions, most of them terrible ones, for internet nerds like ourselves.

Also being asked completly different questions with no run on questions would be a pain in the hole.

Yous do it next time then.

noodler wrote: »
    Yous do it next time then.

With absolute pleasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

There was two problems.

Nonsense.

only1stevo wrote: »

So what,none were offensive are anything,not Darraghs fault that Duffer is a dry ****e.

Had it been Andy Reid or Robbie Keane etc you would have had better craic and reactions in the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So what,none were offensive are anything,not Darraghs fault that Duffer is a dry ****e.

Had it been Andy Reid or Robbie Keane etc you would have had better craic and reactions in the interview.
    Stephen Ireland next please.

Sherifu wrote: »

He shouldnt get the satisfaction of an interview with any Irish journalist ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

F*ck that, lets get an interview with Jimmy Bullard or Zoltan Gera....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There was two problems.

Yeah he was a bit bemused by some alright, and maybe they shouldn't have been asked, but as a first effort I think it went very well.

Exciting if it becomes a regular thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sherifu wrote: »

Our questions would persuade him to retire from football.

So, let's do it. :D:D:D

Nonsense.

I'll have a corneto pls k/thnx :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement