Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinetic - In the Well!

Options
  • 31-08-2009 6:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Time to put Irelands first ever salaried pr0 gaymer in the well and hit him up sharp with a few questions. So if you feel like quizzing das ubermoderator about his life/games/sexual fantasies involving Tom Cruise then now is the time to ask!

1. Earliest memory of gaming?
    2. Longest time spent on a game?
    3. If you could stop time in terms of gaming gernerations, what would it be?
    4. Recommend 1 game to a person who has never played computer games (PC or console) that will instantly get them to understand what it's all about.
    5. What is the best gaming system in your opinion?
    6. What do you think of the introduction of 'achievements' / 'trophies'?
    7. Can you go back and play through old games without them (or would you buy them from the arcade store now just for the glowing feeling when you hear that sound)?
    8. What are your top 5 games at the moment (can be all-time or currently playing)?
    9. What system do you currently do most of your gaming on and why?
    10. What's the worst game you've ever played that you seen through to completion?
    11. Just how much of a button bashing n00b are you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

1. When did you realise you had 'some' talent ;) ?

2. What steps did you take to brings things further along?

3. What would you do differently if you were starting your career in pro gaming all over again? (if anything)

4. What would you like to see happen in Ireland with regards to the gaming community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jazzy wrote: »
    1. Earliest memory of gaming?

My old neighbour used top have some old console, couldn't tell you wtf it was though. So probably my C64, I got the cartridge with Flimbo's Quest and 3 other games on it. Don't think I ever did fiished FQ but it was a great game. Used to spend ages collecting the coins in the right order to maximise the dollar bills.
    2. Longest time spent on a game?

I'd have to say Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS2, I remember there being hype about it in work at the time (HMV Grafton St) so I picked it up and literally spent the next 3 days completing it, I did get some sleep but as soon as I was awake I jumped straight back on it.
    3. If you could stop time in terms of gaming gernerations, what would it be?

I really really liked the N64. it was the first console to do 3D somewhat successfully and the titles it had like Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64 & OoT were just amazing. The controller was pretty nice too and the implentation of the rumble pack was a good feature. I miss those games but with them being very early on in the 3D lifeline they ain't aged well at all.
    4. Recommend 1 game to a person who has never played computer games (PC or console) that will instantly get them to understand what it's all about.

Sonic 1. Very basic game with nothing else to do but run and jump. If you don't get the grasp of that then computer games aren't for you.
    5. What is the best gaming system in your opinion?

PC. I've played consoles for about 20 years at this stage and have only been PC gaming for about 2 years at this stage. What really turned me off consoles is Sony and Microsoft shoving ads down your throat every time you turn on your console, it just really fricking annoyed me. I don't get much of that when playing PC online.
    6. What do you think of the introduction of 'achievements' / 'trophies'?

If they got rid of the emphasis on points/number of trophies then it would be good. This sort of e-penis thing in relation to them is retarded. (yes I have about 20k on my xbox 360 account).
    7. Can you go back and play through old games without them (or would you buy them from the arcade store now just for the glowing feeling when you hear that sound)?

I still enjoy playing Mario or Sonic from back in the 16 bit days but I tried Mario 64 recently and wasn't that much of a fan so I stopped before I ruined anymore childhood memories. I did recently play through HL1 which rather underwhelmed me but then I'm not a fan of single player games anymore, playing AI bores me.
    8. What are your top 5 games at the moment (can be all-time or currently playing)?

5 games that I'm playing atm are:

Team Fortress 2
    Peggle Deluxe
    QuakeLive
    Counter Strike Source
    ArmA2

All Time:

Ocarina of Time
    Goldeneye
    QuakeLive
    Counter Strike (1.6/CSS) - purely from an e-sports spectator pov.
    Gran Turismo 1

9. What system do you currently do most of your gaming on and why?

PC. More powerful, better servers online, easier to communicate with people in terms of quality and steam friends/xfire. Games are better online too. Team Fortress 2 online is such a great game when you've a few friends on a server (I'm still gash at it though).
    10. What's the worst game you've ever played that you seen through to completion?

I generally put games down when I don't like them. I did try to play through King Kong on the xbox 360 on a quiet day in the old Xbox Live Cafe but it was just painful trying to work my way through it. I'd say HL1 but it wasn't all that bad, just not my cup of tea. ;)

11. Just how much of a button bashing n00b are you?

The only time I button mash is when I rage..........so quite often. :)

I gotta split to B-ball training so I'll come back to your question's later DaBounca.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. How does it not to be a grudge match dodging SFIV wuss like Jazzy :P

2. Any memorable videogame soundtracks or composers you like (original music please)

3. Best and toughest videogame bosses you've ever played.

4. If you could choose one game to hold up as an example of videogames as art what would it be. If you don't see games as art then why don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Why do you never reply to me on Steam

:P

What is your favourite TF2 class, and why?

What game got you "hooked" on gaming?

And what os your favourite sexual fanatasy related to Tom Cruise?

:D:D:D

Da Bounca wrote: »
    1. When did you realise you had 'some' talent ;) ?

Um, not really sure tbh. I think when I started to attend some of the WGL events with the Celtic Snipers I started to like competing but it was never focused on just one game, I won some team events in COD2, GRAW& R6 and even came away with a FNR3 title at one event. Probably my first series PGR competition was the one for the opening of the xbox live gaming centre when they had Nikki Hayes in there. Ye were still working on getting the net set up and I had made the final but couldn't bloody connect. I practiced a lot for that and it wasn't a case that it was just PGR, it was more so the fact that it was a competition with a sweet prize, one of the PGR limited edition Xbox 360s. That was the start of it all. I'm not sure I would've won the final tbh but I would've come close.
    2. What steps did you take to brings things further along?

After that I started playing the game quite a bit online and when WCG was announced for the first time and PGR was there I decided to start putting more and more time in to it. As someone who was relatively new to your side of the LAN scene I knew nobody and the game selection was not final so I'm nearly sure I pestered the crap out of Bio to make sure it was selected, much like any other gamer that and following years I'd imagine. The main thing for me was Time Trials. Any time I was on the game I was in competition mode and would only race the giuven tracks with the F50GT. I was way off the first year tbh but it was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had at WCG 2006, it opened a whole new world to me.
    3. What would you do differently if you were starting your career in pro gaming all over again? (if anything)

I'm not sure I'd change much at the start tbh. I played it pretty well, got involved in the community, spoke with the right people, got different tips from different people (1 person isn't going to give you them all so you need to converse with a lot) and put them to work. The one thing that I really regret is not getting out of my group at WCG 2007, it was there for me and the last race against the Austrian just went absolutely terrible. Had I won that I would've got out and got some prizes, no way I was going any further. Any time I think about that it really pisses me off. :(
    4. What would you like to see happen in Ireland with regards to the gaming community?

There's a lot of horse shit in Irish gaming. With the country so small if someone bad mouth's someone first then they're forever the black sheep. It's easy for this to happen in the UK/US when their demograph is 50 times greater but when you have such small numbers and such silly politics going on it's hard for the entire Irish community as a whole to grow. What I'm delighted to see is the smaller communities start to flourish like the way you started with the SC gaming days and now a few with the SF4 scene. I also think that the console players/teams need to start making themselves heard, there's some really good players here on our island but you generally don't hear much in terms of what they're doing. If they could get in contact with esports.ie, Sabre and Rzelky will ensure that you get the best coverage to your home fans.

If I could kill World of Warcraft I would. It's taken too many of our top gamers away from where their talents really are. It's a shame that some of the longer standing community members spend their time on it.

The other thing we're missing is the smaller LAN sessions. I spent a few evenings about 3 months ago going through the LAN Party forum (research and curiosity) and the scene was vibrant back 5-7 years ago when there was LANs every few weeks either BYOC or in cafes. I'd love to see that happen again but I fear that our broadband, as bad as it is, has killed off the small LAN party leaving just a few larger ones to run every few months.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    1. How does it not to be a grudge match dodging SFIV wuss like Jazzy :P

The longer this goes on the more the hype, I reckon if we leave it go on for a few more months we could get Don King in to promote it.
    2. Any memorable videogame soundtracks or composers you like (original music please)

Hmm, no. :) Only one that springs to mind was Skate 1 and that wasn't original and not even sure it was good. :D

3. Best and toughest videogame bosses you've ever played.

I remember playing Devil May Cry and thinking wtf is going on here.....on the first level. I soon got rid of my PS2 after that but not for that reason.......obviously! :) The best was probably the end of MGS2, fair bit of fighting in it.
    4. If you could choose one game to hold up as an example of videogames as art what would it be. If you don't see games as art then why don't you?

I don't see games as art because I think of them more as entertainment or something to pass the time. I don't look at a picture and think.....oh, that's very entertaining. I generally don't read too much in to video games in terms of their sound track or who is directing them. I turn them on and I play. Throughout my 20 or so years of playing I never really got involved in the hype before a game, in fact a lot of the games I got were from recomendations from friends. I didn't know wtf the orange box was when it came out, someone said yeah it's good (think it was either Asok or PPC). I haven't read stuff like reviews/preview sites/magazines since some magazine gave Forsaken on the N64 something like a 90 and I went out and bought it and it was the biggest load of horse shit ever.

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Why do you never reply to me on Steam

Hmm, I don't think I have you blocked on steam........./goes to check. Nope not blocked. I've been busy the last week or 2 getting servers up online (New Arma2 server as well as CSS, L4D and soon to be TF2 server) as well as trying to get some preparation work done for the LAN in October so if I missed ye then I apologise. :)
    What is your favourite TF2 class, and why?

Probably heavy weapons guy. Just an awesome dude. "You did well!!" /waits for the photoshop pic of me and his body!
    What game got you "hooked" on gaming?

There was never really one that got me hooked in until I played Forza Motorsport 1 over Xbox Live, that rocked my world. I got first Xbox Live subscription about 3/4 months before the 360 (I also didn't know wtf this console was all about either, I just don't read up on the crap :)) came out and I'd say I spent every other night playing it online with a few sound lads from Scotland & England.
    And what os your favourite sexual fanatasy related to Tom Cruise?

Top Gun, I play goose, he plays Maverick obviously, the volleyball scene. Game over!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

1. What are your issues with HL1 (curious about this one - haven't heard much negative feedback about that game ever :pac:)?

2. As a pro gamer / PC enthusiast, do you think there are major barriers to new players getting involved in online play (griefing, clans, servers etc...)? Are there any major changes you'd make to typical online setups (e.g. more streamlined services like Steam or XBL) to make them more user friendly?

3. As a gamer who views games more as entertainment, would you consider story and art design to be secondary concerns to gameplay? Are there any game stories that stand out as particularly strong examples to you?

1. What are your issues with HL1 (curious about this one - haven't heard much negative feedback about that game ever :pac:)?

It's not HL per se, more just single player gaming. It just doesn't grasp my gaming attention anymore. I hadn't played HL up until recently but just found it the same old same old when it comes to single player gaming. I prefer online gaming, preferably team based as it brings a more psychological side to things in terms of what your opponent is going to do and what he thinks you're going to do rather then some AI that's going to follow a certain code it's assigned.
    2. As a pro gamer / PC enthusiast, do you think there are major barriers to new players getting involved in online play (griefing, clans, servers etc...)? Are there any major changes you'd make to typical online setups (e.g. more streamlined services like Steam or XBL) to make them more user friendly?

For Irish players it's definitely getting noticed. It's unfortunate for us that 99% of the time major sponsors regard us as part of the UK so any budget that might go towards our top players is sent to top UK teams/players and hence we get none. It's why you see so many try and get involved in the UK scene. I think LAN experience is something people need to get before progressing abroad, nothing can train you for a competition like a LAN will. Also, talk to the best. It's amazing what little hints they'll give you that will make a big difference to your game. Even if it's not the same game, they can help you with training techniques and how to approach a competition.

I think Steam need to cop the fuck on with this regional pricing garbage. It's a joke. Xbox Live needs to stop with the price and the adverts or at least take the adverts away if someone is paying you. PPC mentioned some dedicated servers are going up soon for Xbox Live (as in you or I can make them) so it will be interesting to see how that works out. I don't use Xfire that much, it just seems very fisher price or something.
    3. As a gamer who views games more as entertainment, would you consider story and art design to be secondary concerns to gameplay? Are there any game stories that stand out as particularly strong examples to you?

If you take a look at the games I mentioned above, outside of Ocarina of Time there's barely any story line in any of them so it's definite secondary for me. I played some of Oblivion when it came out and got mad bored with it, before that it was KOTOR which was pretty decent and before that it was OoT. That's about as far as my RPG experience goes, I just can't stand all the waiting around listening to people jabber on about how their donkey/mother/virginity was stolen by some baddie. Just get on with it and let me shoot faces or drive fast cars. Same goes for single player FPS, fricking bores the hell out of me with all the talking. Probably the reason why I haven't played more then an hour of MGS4.

If you take SF4 atm. You can easily play that game on the training level where there's little or no background involved, pretty much a grey screen. I'd happily play that level all day and not be bothered about the background. While the level designs are nice in the game they're just not a necessity. Oh, the stupid storylines in NFS really irritated me as well, haven't played it in quite some time because of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Why is pro gaming so naff in Ireland? Do you believe its purely a problem due to broadband penetration or that theres just little interest?

• Advertisement

Why is pro gaming so naff in Ireland? Do you believe its purely a problem due to broadband penetration or that theres just little interest?

I think it's down to a few things:

Lack of promotion is a big thing. It's hard for LANs in Ireland to try and get mainstream coverage as a PR/marketing rep costs big money, even for a day or two's work. I've looked in to the costs and I'd probably have to charge about €100 per seat to a LP.ie lan just so it's not going to come out of my own pocket, just not feasible unless it's some sort of 4 day super duper giant happy fun lan. There are also some people who don't actively promote it when they're involved, it's as if they're ashamed to be doing something they enjoy but due to the fear of being mocked by their peers they say nothing, looking at you menefail! My family and friends knew nothing about it when I got the cgs contract but when you sit down and explain to them what it's all about and how big it is they seemed to get the picture that I was involved in something really big worldwide.

While I think Broadband has some sort of part to play in it, if you look back 5-10 years you had guys like Koopa or the lads from DNC (all before my time being involved in competitive gaming in Ireland) who were really highly ranked in Europe so I think it's easy for people to play the broadband card now. Laziness and fear is a big thing. If you get hammered in 1 LAN, are you going to go away and practice or just not bother turn up for the next event? If you look at the attendance drop from the 1st Irish qualifiers to the 2nd, attendance was way down for the 1.6 & PGR competition, there was just no interest from those who had got beat the previous year to go away and practice and come back fighting. The limited broadband we do have atm has opened up online gaming to console gamers and we do have some decent players for Halo 3, COD4 & FIFA. When you have players like HotSWAT being picked up by team Dignitas it's a good sign that we do have talent in the country but it's the sort of thing that needs to get covered by local/national newspapers as it's quite a big deal for our scene.

The stigma towards general gaming is something that is alive and well in Ireland, nevermind the competitive side. I remember I was speaking with an aquaintaince (sp) of mine a year or 2 ago and he asked what I had been doing teh past week. I told him I'd been practicing for a competition coming up and he started laughing and calling computer games stupid, so I asked what he had been doing and he said he was out on the lash for most of it. My follow up question to him was, did he get to travel all expenses paid to various countries for being out on the lash? He soon shoot up but still to this day thinks gaming is stupid and childish. There seems to be people out there who think once you leave school you have to stop gaming as it's not a very mature or social way of life.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

1. Have you ever used an aimbot/wallhack?

2. Where do babies come from?

3. If you could get your favorite developer to make your perfect game to your specification, what kind of game would it be?

4. If train A leaves Chicago traveling 100MPH and train B leaves New York traveling 150MPH and the distance between the two cites is 600 miles how far from New York will it be when the two trains meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Question 1:
    "but due to the fear of being mocked by their peers they say nothing, looking at you menefail!" - what the deuce?

Question 2:
    Would you say the highlight of your gaming career was losing to a woman on the Den?

Question 3:
    Can you describe in detail the finer points of racing games from a spectator's point of view?

Question 3:
    Did you ever meet mOE at the CGS events, was that the greatest moment in your life? (Ya hear mOE?)

Question 4:
    On a more serious note, do you see the PC gaming culture growing in Ireland, with more people starting to play online in Irish communities and showing up to events?

Question 5:
    Where do you see the LanParty.ie events in a years time and further down the road?

Question 6:
    Is abeyance the greatest thing to happen to Irish CSS?

Question 7:
    How have you found the transition from racing games to CSS, ie: from a game that requires the use of one button, to a game that involves in the region of 30-40 buttons AND a mouse?

Maximilian wrote: »
    1. Have you ever used an aimbot/wallhack?

No and cheaters really piss me off. Particularly those who do it to get to the top of an online leaderboard where there's absolutely no reward for being there. I can see why people use aimbots/wallhacks in online competitive play but a drop off in form on LAN will generally weed them out from the great players. It's just lame.

Yore ma.
    3. If you could get your favorite developer to make your perfect game to your specification, what kind of game would it be?

Probably a racing sim. Turn 10 the developers for Forza Motorsport have done a really good job but I'd love to see how it would turn out if it was done for the PC. They're also heavily involved with the community so that's why I like them so much.
    4. If train A leaves Chicago traveling 100MPH and train B leaves New York traveling 150MPH and the distance between the two cites is 600 miles how far from New York will it be when the two trains meet?

Pepsi.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Kinetic^ wrote: »

Yore ma.

The answer I was looking for is South Korea.

Pepsi.

It's actually a trick question. Train A would never have met Train B as it was going to Sacremento. In any event Train B was tragically lost in the September 11 attacks.

The answer I was looking for is South Korea.

It's actually a trick question. Train A would never have met Train B as it was going to Sacremento. In any event Train B was tragically lost in the September 11 attacks.

Pepsi max?

Question 1:
    "but due to the fear of being mocked by their peers they say nothing, looking at you menefail!" - what the deuce?

Ya heard me Menefail!
    Question 2:
    Would you say the highlight of your gaming career was losing to a woman on the Den?

Life Lesson No. 1: You always have to let the woman get 1st place.
    Question 3:
    Can you describe in detail the finer points of racing games from a spectator's point of view?

It's no different then watching formula 1 or touring cars. They go around the track and first to cross the line wins. I think the CGS ruleset was pretty poor with the collision chaos that ensued and the WCG with ghosting on wasn't great either. Somewhere in between would be good. There's a lot of other stuff that comes in to it but if you're only spectating then you don't need to worry about it. :)
    Question 3:
    Did you ever meet mOE at the CGS events, was that the greatest moment in your life? (Ya hear mOE?)

Never met moe as his team wasn't in the CGS finals the season I was there.

Greatest moment of my life, probably making the Irish U16 basketball team, making the starting 5 and going on to beat England to win the 4 nations.
    Question 4:
    On a more serious note, do you see the PC gaming culture growing in Ireland, with more people starting to play online in Irish communities and showing up to events?

It's getting cheaper and cheaper to build a decent spec PC so I hope more do get involved. The ease of use with the consoles and their now online capabilities will make it that side more appealing though. *fingers crossed*
    Question 5:
    Where do you see the LanParty.ie events in a years time and further down the road?

If I can get 100 attendees in October then a year down the line I'd like to have the same next year. I want to have it so it runs like clockwork and the admin team have already started putting things in place so the LAN in October runs flawlessly (no LAN ever turns out that way though :)).

Further down the line, I'm not sure. I'm working on getting a large venue in Dublin City centre atm and I may have the place but it's just to get a good picture of what we need for something of it's size and how to reach as many possible PC/Console gamers to maximise attendance. If it goes ahead, it'll be mega big.
    Question 6:
    Is abeyance the greatest thing to happen to Irish CSS?

Yeah he's fairly dedicated to the scene tbh and with the woman and 2 kids I'm surprised he's found the time. I think what he did with the trials for the ED regional team was great a few months back as every single other team captain picked their mates. Hopefully he can continue to do this as finding someone who doesn't get dragged into e-sports politics is hard.
    Question 7:
    How have you found the transition from racing games to CSS, ie: from a game that requires the use of one button, to a game that involves in the region of 30-40 buttons AND a mouse?

I think it was more 4/5 buttons for PGR but w/e. It was difficult because I'd never really played any FPS on PC so getting used to the M+K took a long time. When I was over in LA my PGR practice sessions would generally be shorter then CSS so I'd always go in and watch the lads play matches. I got my config from a mixture of all the lads on the magnetik's css team. Part of it was not having the right equipment in terms of right mouse, mousepad, decent FPS from the gpu. I've got all that now and am still gash so not sure how to advise people on the transition!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

If you could sit down with a group of people from the gaming / eSports world, who would they be and what would you ask them?

What game would you like a sequel to?

What game would you like to see updated (same gameplay - new shiney graphics)?

What game are you most looking forward to at the moment?

What's your guilty gaming pleasure?

Do you wish that the guys at eSports.ie would stop harassing you for interviews? And are you afraid to actually do anything related to eSports knowing that you are likely to get pestered?

For a more rounded view:
    When and how did you get involved in Basketball?

What music do you listen to (now // in general)?

Other favourite sports?

What other hobbies and activities do you partake in?

Any talents that you wish others knew about?

🤪

/waits for the photoshop pic of me and his body!

10406bfcb56f45f508707ce946b1c0c58f02e0f3_full.jpg

I Don't have the original picture. Just ripped the one off your Steam :P

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If you could sit down with a group of people from the gaming / eSports world, who would they be and what would you ask them?

I'd probably sit down with the entire staff and team managers from the CGS to get some sort of idea of how they were approached to get involved. When I was over there it was clear that the TV studios didn't really give a flying frick what the gamers or even the managers wanted so it would be interesting to get their opinion on the whole thing. The one thing that I will give some of them is that they'd speak their point to anyone on the CGS management team.
    What game would you like a sequel to?

Not so much a sequel but I'd really like to see a decent star wars game. It's been years since one has been developed. Probably based around the original 3 movies.
    What game would you like to see updated (same gameplay - new shiney graphics)?

Rock and roll racing. That game just super mega awesome. I spent many hours playing it on the Mega Drive. If you haven't played it, do it. Possibly Destruction Derby as well, was really good for the PS1.
    What game are you most looking forward to at the moment?

Nothing really stands out although I'd like to play some of Gran Turismo 5 whenever the hell it comes out. I'm really curious as to when Valve are going to push out another Counter Strike installment just to see how the 1.6 and CSS communities as well as the esports competitions react to it.
    What's your guilty gaming pleasure?

I used to spend a lot of time on 8 ball pool on miniclip but atm it would have to be either Peggle Deluxe on PC or New Super Mario Bros on the DS. I've finished both several times but they're just really easy to get into to pass 10-30 minutes. Trials Construction on miniclip is another I spent a lot of time on.
    Do you wish that the guys at eSports.ie would stop harassing you for interviews? And are you afraid to actually do anything related to eSports knowing that you are likely to get pestered?

Nah, I'm getting better at making excuses for not doing stuff on the site :pac: I get pestered to do stuff all the time but I've no real issue with it and if I can help I will. I have been mega busy the past few weeks so if I'm ignoring anyone don't block me on msn/steam please. :) I'll get back to you soon.

For a more rounded view:
    When and how did you get involved in Basketball?

Before I get in to when/why I actually started playing, when I was about 2 I managed to throw the remote control from the TV in to the fire over something like this.....

m1-extendable-fire-guard-1740.jpg

MAD SKILLZ! :)

We moved house when I was about 9, just before starting 4th class. When my folks came back from the school she said they played Hurling, GAA Football or Basketball. Obviously as a smart 9 year old I thought there's no way in hell I'm going outside during the winter in Ireland so I choose Basketball. I was just lucky in that the school and the nearby secondary school churned out some of the best teams in the country. We used to have basketball before school in primary school for an hour and then in secondary school I used to go practice outdoors in the morning on my own. It was probably the best thing I could've done growing up as it kept me busy and essentially out of trouble 7 nights of the week, I can be quite mischievous at times. :cool:
    What music do you listen to (now // in general)?

Variety of things. I tend to just put on an album and will listen to it over and over for a few weeks and then change and then a few months down the line go back to it. Some of my favourites are Rage Against the Machine - Battle of Los Angeles, Nirvana - Nirvana, Oasis - what's the story and a few others. I'm not that much of a music fanatic.

Other favourite sports?

Other then basketball, Soccer and American Football are sports that I'll sit down and watch pretty much any team compete in. Over the past 5 years I've been following Dublin GAA football but I wouldn't sit down and watch another county play. I support the Dubs but I'm really in to the other 3 sports.
    What other hobbies and activities do you partake in?

Outside of Basketball & Gaming there's not much time left to do anything else. During the summer I try and play some tag Rugby, great fun and something to do during the break from basketball.
    Any talents that you wish others knew about?

None really. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Why did you start up the 'In The Well' series in Games?

What questions did you secretly hope people would ask? (and would you like to answer them now)

What 'grinds your gears'?

What scene (if any) is Ireland most likely to get recognised for?

Is there any LAN (international) / series that you would like to see the back of?

🤪

Why did you start up the 'In The Well' series in Games?

I've seen how well they'd worked with the fitness & poker forums. The difference between those and games though is that a good chunk of their activity within their respective communities is from events away from the internet. With LANs and other offline events not so frequent I thought it might give people an insight in to people's gaming knowledge/habits as well as the rest of their life, which is side you don't generally don't hear about from gamers. The one I was hoping for from it is more interaction from people who may not have known the person in the spotlight but hopefully that will come as the series evolves on here.
    What questions did you secretly hope people would ask? (and would you like to answer them now)

There's nothing really that stands out. I think there's been some very good questions so far and those in the well have been great, as least up until me. :) The one thing I'd like to change is taking away the initial 10 questions, they may be a bit pre-emptive in terms of taking questions away from people who may want to get involved.
    What 'grinds your gears'?

I'm not sure I can fit enough in here as vbulletin limits the amount you can type!

One of the big things that irritate the crap out of me is boosting/glitching to get to the top of the leaderboards when there's nothing to gain. PES seems to be notorious for it and I remember there was a fair bit of it in Test Drive Unlimited as well. They don't gain anything from it so I don't know why they do what they do. Just strange.

Onlince again, hackers in game. Only the other night, the CSS team I play for when in a 1 night cup and the first team they played against got kicked for hacking. There was no prize for this competition so I don't understand the mindset a person would have to be in for hacking. At the end of the day, if you go to LAN you'll get destroyed and people will know wtf is up with your online results.

Lack of preparation. The shenanigans with the CSS Irish team earlier in the year really pissed me off. You're representing every other gamer in Ireland and no preparation is done, just let someone else have a go if you're not willing to put the effort in.

Ungrateful gamers. I'm sure some of the other Irish LAN organisers get this as well, when you organise a LAN and put up prizes be they either cash, hardware or otherwise and people complain that LANs in the UK have this or that. In order for the scene to grow we need people to get their ass on a seat at LAN and big sponsors will start to notice large attendances. Sure I-series is going to have a prize pot of 5-6k but the chances of the people moaning at us of getting a piece of that is non existent. Support the LANs you have and instead of you going abroad to I-series we'll get to the stage where English teams will return to our country trying to take our money away from us (hopefully failing).

PGR is easy. I got this quite a bit. I asked people if it's so easy then go practice and come to the qualifiers for WCG . None of them showed up. I was dissapointed. Presumably because they realised they were awful at it and cba putting in the work to get better.

Dishonest gamers in Ireland. Might cause a bit of a stir if I go in to details with this but there's people out there asking for games at major events here in Ireland with non existent activity within their scene to justify it. Please stop, you're not fooling anyone and if I were to spread links you'd be made look like idiots.
    What scene (if any) is Ireland most likely to get recognised for?

I'm not sure we'll ever be recognised for a scene tbh. I think we'll always have those 1 or 2 breakthrough players in a game (team or individual based) like Crow, Koopa etc. I think we were very lucky to have a team of DNC's standard but I'm just not sure when we'll see a team based game see similar succss. Halo might, I know that guys like Wardy and Viv from the WCG team last year are still very much active within that scene and the Irish had a good showing at i-37, I'm just not sure what their plans are as of yet. Hopefully I'll get around to running that Halo lan soon to see how much they've progressed. Hopefully when COD:MW2 comes out it brings some new players to the scene and will hopefully rejuvenate it.
    Is there any LAN (international) / series that you would like to see the back of?

Not that I want to see the back of them but I was really displeased at how Enemy Down treated the ex-CSS admin team. It was a disgrace and will probably cost them a few thousand users. I'm delighted for the new admin team, they're doing great but ED doesn't deserve them. I wish the old admin team all the best with the new Eurokrieg leagues. Outside of that, there isn't a whole lot of major events going on compared to 2/3 years ago so to lose one would be very bad for the entire competitive gaming world.

Even if you'd asked me a few years ago I probably would've said none. Losing major events is not something I like to see......well, maybe CPL with Mr. Munoz being such a sly muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mario or Sonic, If you had to remove one of them from history who would it be?

Favourite stimulant(s) of choice to see you through an all night gaming session?

Orgins of your username with the caret on the end, any particular reasons for it?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Mario or Sonic, If you had to remove one of them from history who would it be?

I don't think you'll like my answer on this. :) Sonic. I think that Mario has been more consistent in terms of quality throughout the years. If sega were still in the console hardware market then I think things may be different.
    Favourite stimulant(s) of choice to see you through an all night gaming session?

None. I just got the stamina to keep on trooping! :p I rarely have red bull and I don't drink coffee/tea (well tea one or twice a year) so there's nothing really that I'd be inclined to take tbh. Maybe some Mi Wadi :D
    Orgins of your username with the caret on the end, any particular reasons for it?

I used to go under the handle "Keyser Soze" and just got really fed up with the dual name thing. I wanted to keep the K at the start of whatever I was going to go with and Kinetic just popped into my head. The circumflex accent at the end was just because someone else on here had Kinetic when I went to change and I've just carried it over onto steam/xfire/irc and wherver else I'm registered. Nothing too deep about the thought behind it tbh. :) All the cool kids are using them these days, I set a trend. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

I used to go under the handle "Keyser Soze"

1. sounds familiar, did you play on pesrankings?

2. i drove a bad career race on forza2 and still placed 1 higher than you on the leaderboard. should i turn pro? :P

1. sounds familiar, did you play on pesrankings?

No, I'm terrible at the game. I still play offline on it from time to time, tis a fun game but they need to get it back on track before their entire fanbase is gone.
    2. i drove a bad career race on forza2 and still placed 1 higher than you on the leaderboard. should i turn pro? :P

No, I was never pro at FM2 :) I did put a small amount of work in for CGS season 2 but I just couldn't face another 2/3 months of 6-8 hours a day playing the same 3 tracks over and over again, I just didn't like the game as much as PGR. If you're interested you should check out the IFCA as they run some great leagues and everyone in the community is pretty sound. They've leagues to suit all type of racer. The standard is pretty high and you regurlarly get Top 20 times being set in the races/qualifiers. Some of them will even share setups. With the imminent release of FM3, it's going to get crazy busy over there too so it would be a good time to sign up.

I haven't forgotten about the next in this series, I'm just waiting for a few days before kicking it off again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Good man.

Whats the most addictive game EVER!?

Whats the most addictive game EVER!?

I don't think there's any one game that is the most addictive, more so the features within. Games like World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4 and even Forza/Gran Turismo contain the levelling system that gets the gamer hooked. They think, oh just 100 xp/credits more to get to the next level so they keep going. Then the next level and so on. It's why these games have sold so well. Online leaderboards and insanely unachieveable achievements (ie. get 10000 kills ) can have people hooked as well.

• Advertisement

What is your real name, billing address, credit card number, sorting code and account number

Advertisement