Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time of Defiance

Options
  • 31-08-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭

anyone play this at all?

I remember hearing about it before I had internet. But when I got internet I was subjected to my landlady's draconian firewall policy - and then I completely forgot about the game.

Anyway its now free to play so Im begining to scratch the surface here. Its an MMO-RTS with a perpetual environment - games last from 7-28 days and involve hundreds of players and their empires.

For stargate fans, I found this in the FAQ:
    What do I use my Quantum Gate for? Think of the Quantum gate as a teleporter or a worm-hole. The gate allows you to access the 8th House, other player’s gates and also sends vehicles between gates that you own. You can access the 8th House using a Quantum Trader, or get a report from the 8th House by clicking on Ambassador’s Chat. You can also check 8th House prices for vehicles etc. from the Gate’s menu. To access other player’s gates you need to use their code. Only give out your gate code (found by clicking on ambassador’s report on your Quantum Gate menu) to players that you really trust. If you feel that the trust has been broken, then you can set a password on your gate to prevent other players from coming through.

What is the Eighth House? The Eighth House is an area of Nespanona where the Eighth House of the Cog Tribe allow all other members on Nespanona to interact, bank resources and buy items. The 8th House are at war with the Shadoo. This results in the capture of Shadoo Craft, which they make available to your Empire (for a fee of course). Once in the 8th House, on the left side of the screen you will find a menu where you have the option of buying vehicles filled with resources, a selection of advanced vehicles you cannot normally build, gate coordinates, intelligence information, transfer crystal moss and read the 8th House newspaper.
    More information on the history of the Cog, Shadoo or Nespanona can be found in the articles available on this site.

What do I use a Quantum Trader for? This ship has only one purpose, to take resources into the Eighth House. It can take 80t of water, 20t of moss and 150t of all other resources. You can take as many traders through your gate as you wish but you will need to load your Quantum Gate with enough water or crystal moss to allow the gate to activate.

Ive gotta try it on. But does anyone have any experience with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Played it this evening and found it pretty fun. The only thing it lacks is the number of players which, due to zero publicity, has dropped to a few dozen due to old players not being replaced with new ones.

But its neat. The map is huge and you have to think about your moves ahead of time - how much fuel your scout has and if theyll have enough to RTB. My first encounter with another active (signed in at the time) player - most ive seen so far was 5 - happened when I sent my scout to its maximum range, it ran out of fiel, and I asked for a top up :D We had a chat for about 10 minutes and went our seperate ways. Seeing as how we lived a dozen sectors away from eachother, no need to be hostile.

Just dont tell him that once I find out his Gate code Im going to send a fleet right up his tailpipe.

Learning curve is sharp but shallow. an hour max for the basics. one or two more for the niggly bits and the rest is strategem. Interesting Empire-Building game. If you liked Civ or AoE or Sins you might get a kick out of it. Commands take a while to execute (1 sector to the next can take up to 10-30 mins depending on the ship) so you can just run it in a window in the background of your desktop and not worry about it. The engine is several years old and should in no way hog your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sounds interesting, might give it a shot. Any chance of setting up a boards only game? Would that work or would we not have enough players? How many would we need for a decent set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I love the game. I periodically go back to it and throw myself into it for a few days at a time... however, the severe decline in players over the past few years has just made the game almost unplayable...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zillah wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, might give it a shot. Any chance of setting up a boards only game? Would that work or would we not have enough players? How many would we need for a decent set up?
    Just join the game and play. Most people just play on Division 2. I'll even give you my Iris code and we can trade and **** :pac:

Now if only we could marry ToD and Sins... that would be magical.

Advertisement