Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt Ireland and vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

As things stand I'm on the 3 meg broadband package with BT but my voice calls and line rental are billed through eircom.

Im wondering if the line rental situation disqualifies me from this migration. From what I've read on both the BT and vodafone sites line rental with BT is a must?

I'm in the same boat - looks like you have to take line rental with voda

still a handy way to get out of it if you refuse to transfer line rental ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have had 2 eircom sales reps banging down my door...telling me that BT was pulling out of Ireland and to switch to Eircom. The rep was saying that Vodaphones broadband is done by "PERLICO" and that internet service is really really bad.

They offer 7mb BB and all house calls incld Sentanta Sports online for €65 all in. I sure as ****ing hell do not want me broadband with PERLICO. Also eircoms 7mb BB has a very good contention ratio of guarenteed 24:1.....ideal for GAMERS!!!

Dont know what to do now!!!!

BT have not moved out of Ireland
    BT will transfer its consumer and small business broadband and voice customer base to Vodafone and will also provide wholesale network services to underpin Vodafone's business over a seven-year period. BT will also be committing significant investment towards building an advanced network infrastructure and improving broadband speeds in Ireland. It will provide a platform for the delivery of up to 24Mbps broadband services to approximately two thirds of Ireland's available broadband lines by unbundling up to 58 additional exchanges. To date, BT has already unbundled 22 exchanges in the Republic of Ireland.

Vodaphones broadband is done by "PERLICO"

I think that's not a true statement either anyone else know for sure?

"internet service is really really bad"

Wouldn't that be your fault Eircom since the line is rented off you? And you haven't spent enough upgrading the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Vodafone did buy Perlico, but I'm not sure to what extent Vodafone broadband is "provided by Perlico." Vodafones 7MB package also seems to be 24:1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Perlico are still run by themselves but yes owned by VF. I switched and its perfect so far, only bother is online usage etc is not working but I changed from 1Mb BT to 3Mb VF (couldn't wait to for change as could be months away) and anyways, its working perfectly, no bother.P.S. I get line rental, 3Mb broadband with 40Gb limit, free evening calls for 40 a month which I consider cheaper than even BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

So most peeps with BT are gonna stay with BT/Vodaphone and see what happens?

Are Eircom really that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I changed over to utv. Unlimited usage (they told me no one ever hit the fair usage cap and it was a over 200GB) and i get a fixed ip.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    So most peeps with BT are gonna stay with BT/Vodaphone and see what happens?

Are Eircom really that bad.

I'm staying until the dust settles and I see what the packages end up as, ie. if Vodafone up their 7Mb cap. If not, I'm thinking of UTV too. Won't be going to eircom.

I'm going to wait too hopefully I'll get better internet I'm currently on 1Mb with 10GB download and 10GB upload :( When I get transferrred will I be able to get the 3Mb broadband with 40GB and unlimited uploads ? These are my stats:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=90018&stc=1&d=1252235005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

What's going to happen to the 24 Meg deal.

Is that out the window now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Is there a package with Vodafone home which includes free calls to the UK. Thats what im looking for?

Also do you get charged if you excede your download limit, ie 40gb?

• Advertisement

in theory there is a charge on overusage but some people here posted that they went slightly over it and didn't get charged. You can't check the online usage yet either so pen and paper.....
    ANyone know of a utility that my computer can record how much it downloads???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dipole

Current package BT Broadband & Total-Talk (1)
    Was on to BT last Friday to upgrade to Wireless Router. This was OK. :)
    Asked about changing package to include 33% of Mobile calls but was told this could not be done because of their deal with Vodafone. :mad:
    Probably applies to any change.

TheDriver wrote: »
    in theory there is a charge on overusage but some people here posted that they went slightly over it and didn't get charged. You can't check the online usage yet either so pen and paper.....

Yes i notice on my account infomation online with vodafone there is nothing showing for my calls made or data used?

I emailed them and the reply was:

Thank you for your e-mail.
    Unfortunately at present customers are unable to view their usage
    online, although this may change in the future.
    Also your monthly download allowance runs from the 1st of the month
    until the end of the month.
    If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

My contract with eircom is up in a few months.
    I'm switching to vodafone. Switching from 3 to vodafone too.

7mb for €48 plus 10% off if your a Vodafone mobile customer too.

They have a 60gb limit too, better than eircoms 40gb(not 50 gb like advertised)

Last month i broke the limit.

Total Time Online: 595:21:56
    Total Uploads: 1869 MB
    Total Downloads: 55315 MB
    Download Allowance: 40960 MB
    Download Excess: 14355 MB
    Percent of Allowance used: 135%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    I'm going to wait too hopefully I'll get better internet I'm currently on 1Mb with 10GB download and 10GB upload :( When I get transferrred will I be able to get the 3Mb broadband with 40GB and unlimited uploads ? These are my stats:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=90018&stc=1&d=1252235005
    Maybe 2MB since you've a good noise margin but that high attenuation might set you back.

Trial and error, go for up to 3MB when you can and request to be put on 2MB straight away.

TheDriver wrote: »

I use NetLimiter Monitor. It's free. But it will only give figures for the computers it is installed on, of course. If you have other devices using the connection, such as consoles or phones, it can't include those. But phones shouldn't use much and it is easy enough to keep track of large downloads on consoles from month to month.

thank kahless, presume consoles such as xbox don't use much to merely play games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

If you are thinking of transferring over early, I'd advise to leave it a few days. I've just been talking to a call centre in Cork where the staff dont seem to know what they are doing and systems are creaking under the strain. They also promised me a new free wireless modem, which is not what it says on their website, but I'm not complaining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I currently have a 7.6MB connection with BT, yet when I check my line on the Vodafone site it says I can only get 3MB :confused:

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I currently have a 7.6MB connection with BT, yet when I check my line on the Vodafone site it says I can only get 3MB :confused:

Same with me my neighbour has 7mb broadband (Eircom) yet vodafone say i cant have 7mb broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭yknaa

homer911 wrote: »
    If you are thinking of transferring over early, I'd advise to leave it a few days. I've just been talking to a call centre in Cork where the staff dont seem to know what they are doing and systems are creaking under the strain. They also promised me a new free wireless modem, which is not what it says on their website, but I'm not complaining...

You get this free modum if you sign up online. Thinking of moving from Eircom but not sure how hard the migration will be as the current wireless set up is linked to the wii and an internet radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can keep your existing modem. All you'll need to change is a username and password setting on it.

i got the free modem from online but still in the box, the old modem works fine, an eircom jobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

yknaa wrote: »
    You get this free modum if you sign up online. Thinking of moving from Eircom but not sure how hard the migration will be as the current wireless set up is linked to the wii and an internet radio.

Their FAQs on migrating from BT to Vodafone specifically state that to transfer sooner you have to call them up, and that existing BT customers wont get a new modem..

http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/faq/

I have a BT Modem and an Eircom modem already, but tend to use the Eircom one as I upgraded the antenna to improve wireless reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Raven13

I recently called Vodafone and got some answers. First of all they explained that if you don't want to move to a new Vodafone package you can still keep the same option you had with BT.
    URL="http://blog.amielucha.com/bt-vodafone/"]Read the full article...[/URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Does anyone know if BT are still providing their local loop unbundling service? I can't seem to find anything about it online..

I find it interesting in their FAQs that 1MB will be kept on if you were a BT customer yet I changed package and got 3MB for a cheaper price, strange....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

hellboy99 wrote: »

Same here. I want to keep the 7mb package when I transfer over.

• Advertisement

Same here. I want to keep the 7mb package when I transfer over.

Well if we are to believe the FAQ you will have the same speed.
    I am on high speed broadband with BT. Will I get the same speeds with Vodafone?

Yes, Vodafone will offer at least the same speeds as customers currently receive from BT and intends offering higher speeds through its partnership with BT as the broadband network is further developed and newer technologies becomes available.
    I find it interesting in their FAQs that 1MB will be kept on if you were a BT customer yet I changed package and got 3MB for a cheaper price, strange....

Yes but it also says that you can upgrade your telephone line if it is capable of handing higher speeds, I say they are keeping people on the 1MB just encase their line can't support the 3MB line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement