Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing From Windows Vista 64-bit to 32-bit

• 31-08-2009 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi, my gf bought a toshiba l500 13v laptop in harvey norman last week.
    It came with windows vista 32 bit and 64 bit pre-installed. When she started the laptop for the first time it asked which version she wanted to install.
    She picked 64-bit as she thought it would be better. However, from reading about 64-bit on the internet i think 32-bit would definetly be better for her as there are no problems installing programs on it.
    Im just wondering if anyone can tell me how to change to the 32-bit version or would i need to restore the laptop to factory settings and pick 32-bit at the start this time? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have You had problems?

I've ran Vista64 for 2 years without a bother, I'm now using Windows 7 64bit without any hassle at all. Nearly all devices are supported as 64bit is nearly the norm these days and I was very suprised that M$ even released a 32bit version of Windows 7.

BTW, its not posible to change now without a re-install from recovery partion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

there may still be an argument for a 32 bit kernel, actually.

http://gizmodo.com/5343443/snow-leopard-currently-restricts-64+bit-booting-to-newer-macs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Dont do it,your laptop might blow up

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Honestly? If you're not seeing specific problems trying to run specific apps, I wouldn't bother. The 64-bit version is pretty solid for general use from what I've seen using it at work.

As for "arguments for a 32-bit kernel", I'm not sure I'm prepared to accept technical advice espoused by someone who says that you only need a 64-bit OS to access 32GB of RAM...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

thanks for the replies, to be honest i didnt no much about the 64 bit version so i checked it up online and read there was some issues with it thats why i thought it would be better for her to use 32 bit. I'l just tell her the 64 bit version is fine now :)

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Honestly? If you're not seeing specific problems trying to run specific apps, I wouldn't bother. The 64-bit version is pretty solid for general use from what I've seen using it at work.

As for "arguments for a 32-bit kernel", I'm not sure I'm prepared to accept technical advice espoused by someone who says that you only need a 64-bit OS to access 32GB of RAM...

I cocked my brow at that as well. But I mean, if youre still on 3-4 gig tops (and many of us are still at 1-2gb or less) then it makes its case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Donny_

Hi i bought a laptop recently aswel, its installed with 32 bit home premium but is able to take 64bit. Im getting the win7 upgrade and hear if i have 32 bit vista iv gotta get 32bit win7 so wanna change before i get it. Anyone got a link to a 'How to' page 'cos i cant find a clear one. Im not great with these 'internet boxes' ya see.

Thanks in advance.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?threadID=348275
    1.) Your computer can run Windows 7 x64.

2.) You can purchase a Windows 7 x64 upgrade DVD/license (at the reduced cost).

3.) You will need to perform a clean installation (wipe everything and start from scratch) since you cannot directly upgrade/convert from 32-bit to 64-bit operating systems (or vice versa).

4.) You will not need a BIOS update.

5.) Aside from being able to use more than 4GB of RAM, you likely will not notice much of a benefit unless those multimedia applications are available in 64-bit versions. 32-bit versions will work, but see little/no performance boost.

6.) Each copy of Windows 7 will include both 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs, so you can choose to 'convert' now or down the road.

Hope this helps,
    John
    yes you can. Nothing too scary about a complete reinstall either, just back up your valuables and off you go. The Windows 7 Disc will already be carrying most of the Drivers you need to get started.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you may need 32 bit windows for backward compatability with older hardware which doesn't have newer drivers or for old programs

but if everything works and you don't have old stuff you need to re-use then 64 bit is fine and 64 bit should also be more resistant to malware

The argument is like the old one about 286 vs. 386 in both cases the new one wasn't any faster at running old programs, but the old one would not run any of the new programs.

as more 64 bit programs are released they should run a bit faster than 32 bit ones (but not twice as fast ;) ) however, not all of them will be availabe as a free upgrade , but you can continue to run the vast majority of current programs will run fine

Advertisement