Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire, free parking on outskirts of town?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Im starting work in Dun Laoghaire this week and am not prepared to spend a fortune on parking, and Travelling the M50 is about 3hours quicker to get there then getting Bus and Dart so Im going to be driving, Is there any safe streets about 15-20mins walk away from the town that has free parking.
    I saw some street other day with no paid parking but it was very close to paid parking streets so does that mean I would need a pass saying I live there, or is it safe to park my car up on the road?

Dont wana get clamped :o

Anything in the 20min walk range is perfect, Dont really wana have to go further away as it adds lota time onto travel.

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op you could park around monkstown a few estates there are used by people such as yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Op you could park around monkstown a few estates there are used by people such as yourself

Ill check that out thanks, Ill be travelling early to miss M50 traffic so should be able to get a spot in the mornings, I noticed a few roads about 15min walk away from the town that had no paid parking but also had very few cars parked on it, they were very well to do areas from what I could tell, so would you have to have a resedential pass to park there? it is a public street with no signs up so I assume you cant get clamped or fined for parking there as long as you dont block drives but im bit wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You would be lucky to get parking within a mile of Dunlaoghaire. Most estates anywhere near the dart stations have paid parking to deter non residental cars been parked during the day. Silcheater Park is about the closest on the Upper Georges St end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

You can park outside my house.....is it a nice car, alloys ,sat nav etc............:D

Sids Not wrote: »
    You can park outside my house.....is it a nice car, alloys ,sat nav etc............:D

Nah bit of a banger.

And silcheater? is that silchester road you mean, that was one of the places I was looking at on google maps its bout 15min walk away and didnt have paid parking spaces, very posh looking road.

• Advertisement

Where in dun laoghaire will you be working? if you're working near the park then you could park in sallynoggin and be there in 10-15mins. If you're working the far end then monkstown farm or carrickbrennan road might be your best bet.

Which streets have you noticed with free parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

silchester rd is pay and display afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

If you get up early enough you can park in the laneways between the streets...they're clamper free..AND free parking all day..."not a lot of people know that...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dutchcat wrote: »
    I didn't know that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I didn't know that
    has been like that for 3/4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Where in dun laoghaire will you be working? if you're working near the park then you could park in sallynoggin and be there in 10-15mins. If you're working the far end then monkstown farm or carrickbrennan road might be your best bet.

Which streets have you noticed with free parking?
    carrickbrennan is pay and display,mounttown road be a good spot,near mc cormacks pub

dutchcat wrote: »

silchester park a road over didnt have pay and display when i had a look.

And Im working in centre of town near elbana avenue/bloomfield
    Im coming off at the loughlinstown M50 exit and baiting it up chruch road and up that way so mounttown is kinda otherside of where i was going park, was trying get somewhere on the east side
    and where abouts on mounttown is that pub? lower mounttown?

and i appreciate all the feed back lads, thks.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

silchester park a road over didnt have pay and display when i had a look.

And Im working in centre of town near elbana avenue/bloomfield
    Im coming off at the loughlinstown M50 exit and baiting it up chruch road and up that way so mounttown is kinda otherside of where i was going park, was trying get somewhere on the east side
    and where abouts on mounttown is that pub? lower mounttown?

and i appreciate all the feed back lads, thks.
    beas directions for pub,say u exit bloomfields car park,take left at lights,left at nxt lights,up york rd 2 next lights,go through and ur on mounttown,pub on ur right,hope some of this is of use

You could try Glenageary woods, off the upper glenegeary road. There is a walkway which would bring you down through Royal Terrace down to Northumberland Avenue and then on down Marine road to eblana avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to Dublin County South forum.

Well I parked in silchester park today, was fine. about 15min walk and that was at a bit of a lazy pace. It boggles me how i saw people paying about 3mins away, save the money lads!

Also Motors is far better place then south dublin forum for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

blossom180 wrote: »
    mounttown road be a good spot,near mc cormacks pub
    noooo! don't park outside my house!!! people keep parking on the bends in the road and it makes it way more dangerous to drive there now. a few years ago this was not an issue :(

if i spot a car constantly parked somewhere unhelpful, and those tax discs are out, you better watch out :P plenty of cars have been dumped here in the past. i remember there was one once that was left and put on fire... though i think it was the owner who did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

A few companies in Dun Laoghaire offer subsidised parking in the Harbour. I work near you OP, and my parking permit only works out to one euro a day down there (also valid at weekends). There'd be war if my employer stopped subbing that :D Can your employer help there?

Dun Laoghaire traffic wardens are very vigilant when it comes to street parking and personally I think it is only a matter of time until your car gets clamped or a resident sticks a note on your windscreen. :(

Dun Laoghaire traffic wardens are very vigilant when it comes to street parking and personally I think it is only a matter of time until your car gets clamped or a resident sticks a note on your windscreen. :(

Well I dont think anyone can get clamped or fined for parking on a public street, as its public property. If you block drives or block roads(when people park on both sides of a cul de sac and noone can fit) then there you can be towed if someone reports you, but I think the furthest it can go when parking in front of peoples houses on public streets is they can write a note or something of that nature, personally if I was making someones life harder by taking spaces or something then Id move, but if its just fussy people in well-to-do estates not happy with a car out front then tough hobnobs.

Funny thing is alot of people park up on curbs to leave more room on street and try not to block anything but that is only way of getting ticket on public roads, your not suppose to park up on curbs or sidewalks as a moany warden would most likely ticket you.

Oh and my work has no parking for anybody so.. lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

My road is a 5-10 minute walk with free parking....Ohhhh but not a chance I'm telling. We like our isolated peace! :D

• Advertisement

There is no clamping in Dun Laoghaire. With the exception of the Harbour as it is private property. Parking outside someones house is not in any way illegal unless you are blocking an entrance. Traffic wardens don't go near the non pay parking estates, the only person who will give you a ticket there is a garda if you are illegally parked.

If someone put a snotty note on my windscreen I would make sure and park in the exact same place every day!

I think you should give glenageary woods a go, it's quite a bit closer than silchester.

I think you should give glenageary woods a go, it's quite a bit closer than silchester.

Ill have a look so, thanks. Although silchester was a grand walk quicker then I was expecting.

Also wheres that secret road with free parking???

Ill google map it and see if i can find culprits, or you could PM me? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Sids Not wrote: »
    If you get up early enough you can park in the laneways between the streets...they're clamper free..AND free parking all day..."not a lot of people know that...;)

They do now!

They do now!

what you mean park between the lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If someone put a snotty note on my windscreen I would make sure and park in the exact same place every day!

This is one good way of getting your car Keyed

21/25

Advertisement