Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Bike Shop

Options
  • 31-08-2009 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

We are doing some market research on the possibility of opening a new bike shop. We are interested to hear your thoughts on whether or not you think this is a good business idea? All & any views or comments are welcome.

We also have a poll - please let us know your thoughts!

Does Dublin 15 need a new bike shop? 14 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't know much about business, but I do believe there is a market for a decent bike shop in Dublin 15, given that it's a large area and the only bike shops there at present are Halfrauds and the little place in 53 degrees north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rouleur180

Hi Stark,

Yes, that's what we would be aiming at - providing a good local bike shop / mechanic service to the community. Halfords and the small section in 53* North are only alternatives at the minute, bar going into city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

If I remember correctly there is a shop in Mulhuddart village, and possibly one behind the cottages on Main street Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dwoodgate

When I moved to Castleknock there were 2 bike shops...both long since closed. The trick is to open somewhere with really low overheads. A bike shop doesnt need to be in the main street....dont worry too much about trying to sell new bikes....Halfords or the likes will always be cheaper and very hard to compete with them.

One of the real challenges with bike repairs is that a new bike can be bought for 150 so people will not spend a fortune on repairs...again low overheads are crucial if you are to suceed.

I believe that if you give a good service repairing bikes and people will keep coming back....

The 2 nearest shops I know of to Castleknock are in Lucan and another in finglas. There used to be one down the Navan road in Cabra but not sure if there still.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

I think there could well be a good market for a bike shop in Dublin 15 given the huge population increases in the last number of years. As dwoodgate has stated 2 bike shops have come and gone in over the last number of years. There was also a third bike shop in Blanchardstown village in the small industrial area behind the ESB shop- this shop also disappeared a number of years ago.

The bike shop in Lucan is an extremely good "cyclists" bike shop with and it also helps that a bike club is run out of the bike shop drawing in more people. I use this bike shop myself as its only 15 mins from castleknock through the strawberry beds.

But as has been mentioned location location location will would critical from a rent preservative and also easy hassle free access for customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If I were you, I'd do it somewhere near Ongar... there's already a bike shop in Mulhuddart Village, Halfords, I think I remember one in Blanchardstown Village too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Anyone with any form of bike knowledge wouldn't use Halfords to get their bike serviced. Then again they would probably service it themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

anyhow yeah... not enough bike shops... not that i need to get a bike now... but for maintenance and such... would prefer to go to somewhere proper then halfords...

- Drav!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

I live in Mulhuddart Village and there is a bike shop there and I can't understand how it does any business. I've only looked at kids bikes mind you but It's so expensive compared to Smyths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's because they do a Christmas club where you can pay the bike off by the week instead of one lump sum. A welcome thing in "disadvantaged" areas.

• Advertisement

It's because they do a Christmas club where you can pay the bike off by the week instead of one lump sum. A welcome thing in "disadvantaged" areas.

Now Ado don't get all high and mighty because you've moved out XD.
    I think the Bikes and Babes shop does good enough business.
    A bike shop would do well in Blanchardstown Village.

Advertisement