Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you rat someone up?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. It seemed to be the most appropriate place. Please feel free to move...

Myself and a few friends were in a pub in the city centre at the weekend where a lounge boy was extremely rude to me for no real reason and put me in a highly embarrassing situation. I casually mentioned it to a barman when I was ordering a round (from the bar this time!) and he was just as bad. My friends were really taken aback as well so its not a case where it was just me and I'm over-reacting. I'm not usually the complaining type, but I wrote a letter to management as I felt so annoyed. The manager got back to me today with a lovely letter of apology and a nice offer of free stuff, but she wants a description of the staff involved.

I never intended to get anyone into trouble - I'm really not the type, but the way I was treated was really not on. I'm trying to decide what to do. Do I identify the staff and possibly get them into serious trouble or do I let the matter slide and assume both of them were just having a bad day... I don't want to snitch on people, but then if I don't say anything then they might well just keep doing it.

What do you think? All comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I would'nt be having a moral dilemma over this :)

If the manager has an issue with his staff when you truthfully explain the situation, then they were obviously out of line and it needs to be addressed.
    If the staff have an issue with that, then they need to modify their behaviour not you.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I would go with Welease, I wouldn't have a problem either, to be honest, with an indirect complaint like this, you have to put some trust into the Management\Employer, in as much as they will weigh the situation up carefully (and hopefully fairly) themselves.

Unlikely anyone will get fired, but very likely their ears will be smarting after a chat with their superiors..

For all you know, this might be how they operate, that the staff involved might have been doing this for a good while. Sometimes you have to nudge people out of their bad habits. You're doing the establishment\Employer a favour too, keeping things ship shape for other patrons, and yourself, if you ever go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have seen this from both sides, it's hard to confront a member of staff and investigate an allegation made by a customer.

I had a situation where an allegation of a rude gesture was made and on closer inspection of the cctv this wasn't the case. But the member of staff still has the investigation on their file, even though no further action was taken also the customer got their 'good will gesture' before the cameras could be checked!

I think if you have a problem with someone's behavior then you have to be sure enough to stand up and point the finger.

All too often a customer gets irate with the manager and when you say you will speak to the person responsible to ensure this doesn't happen again, they say 'Oh I don't want to get anybody into trouble.'

Well that's the way it works, if you do your job right, no issues, if you don't you have to take responsibility for your actions.

So yes I would 'rat' some one out if I was making a complaint, but I would be sure I had my facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

As long as you were truthful and honest, and didn't exaggerate in the original complaint, I'd see no problem in giving details.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

There is no point in writing to the manager in the first place, unless they are given enough information to take the matter up with the staff members involved. Unless they have all the facts, there is little they can do to stop it happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Definitly give the description. Be completly honest about what happened and don't exaggerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Thanks all. I gave the manager a full and completely honest account of what happened in the original email. It really wasn't a sackable offense by either member, just very rude and condescending in tone and word. Which irks me more than anything in the world. Anyway, having read the comments here and talking to a few of the guys who were there to make sure I wasn't over-reacting or being overly sensitive I've decided to let her know who it was. Its their own fault. The customer service was genuinely appalling.

I'm sure the staff members in question will deny it, but maybe if complaints have been made against them before (the lounge staff member in particular) it'll wake him up to the fact that you just can't treat your customers like that.

Again, thanks all :) My conscience is at ease...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

no excuse for bad manners no matter where you were brought up..

Was in a hotel in Meath recently and a girl 30's and her mother arrived in a merc and barked at the receptionist for a porter, then started barking at the porter to do this and than... I was actually embarrassed for them

fair play to you for complaining its something irish people dont do enough off.

paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

My view is, If i was running that business and my staff where putting customers off by been rude, i would want to know so i think its well worth complaining .

Go for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement