Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Moy, Ballina, Mayo

Options
  • 31-08-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I'm heading over to fish the Moy in Ballina for the weekend. Having been over there early August without success, i was wondering if anyone has been fishing there recently? I'm just wondering if the fishing has been any good over there in the last week and what the water levels are like? They were very high when i was over there last month and i'm hoping they've subsided a bit now even though we've had a lot of rain in the last couple of days.

Any tips/news/insight would be appreciated.

Cheers
    wgsten

www.irishflyfisher.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

why don't you ring up one of the local tackle shops in ballina? or the mount falcon hotel and ask for the number of one of the guides.

got a free magazine in Rory's tackle shop in temple bar called 'hooked on the moy'. great magazine.

wish i could help you out, time's running out for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Thanks DocFarrell. I'll ring Gary in the ridgepool tackle shop and see if he has any updates.

www.irishflyfisher.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

been fishing the moy since the early 1980s if i was you i would head upstream in september, the water should be high enough above foxford and further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Thanks ironbluedun. Got your post a little bit late as i was already on the way there. I'll definitely try that next year. Just thought i'd give you a quick update. I wish i had something better to report but unfortunately due to the high levels of water on the Moy, the fishing wasn't great. Flyfishing wasn't an option due to the height of the river so spinning and worming were the only options. Fished a couple of days there and no salmon got unfortunately. However, all was not lost as we fished a few of the local lakes and had some great trout fishing. I'll upload some pictures in the next couple of days.

wgsten

www.irishflyfisher.ie

Advertisement