Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Bernard Dunne v Poonsawat Kratingdaengym thread

• 31-08-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

As we know who is "Next for Dunne" and the fight is around the corner I thought I would start a new thread on specifically this fight because we are sure to have a lot of "casual fans" pop by in the next couple of weeks.

I reckon its a real 50/50 fight. Poonsawat having the power - Dunne having the skills and home advantage. I still havent made my mind up as to whether it will be 8th round KO win for Poonsawat or a wide points win for Dunne!

Here is my preview article (its a bit of a monster) -

In an attempt to play his part in tidying up the division and the mess that is the WBA’s super bantamweight title triangle, Bernard Dunne (28(15)-1(1)-0) invites a nightmare into his house when he faces Thai powerhouse and WBA interim champion Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym (38(27)-1(0)-0) to battle it out for Dunne’s first defence of his WBA regular super bantamweight title at the O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland on the 26th of September.

Unless they’ve been travelling around the world on a J1 visa trekking through Belize, Machu Picchu and Laos then there is hardly an Irishman on the planet that could have failed to notice the rise of Bernard Dunne, who has almost singlehandedly revived professional boxing in Ireland. Despite the popularity of John Duddy amongst the immigrant diaspora in the US, no professional boxer has captured the Irish publics imagination like Dunne since Steve Collins filled the Dublin’s O2 (then “The Point”), Cork’s Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Manchester’s Nynex Arena and most famously Millstreet’s Green Glens Arena during the mid 1990’s.

Of course Collins, who’s career path draws parallels with Dunne’s, had the aid of high profile British fighters such as the flamboyant Chris Eubank and destructive Nigel Benn to ensure that enough media hype and interest was generated to power all the lights in Birmingham for a year. Sadly for Dunne he has no such caricatured figures to be pitted against, but what he does have is the technical boxing skills of any top Cuban amateur, an endearing cheeky chappy persona, manager Brian Peters, and until recently a booming Celtic Tiger economy to make up for the lack of household names in the division – Irish households that is. But, if Bernard Dunne has Brian Peters, the County Meath farmer, publican, and entrepreneur has provided the bricks and mortar, the timber and the nails, the plasterboard and silicone mastic (need I go on?) for this particular development.

Dunne turned professional in December 2001 in the sweaty cut throat surroundings of the LA boxing scene and Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Gym but Dunne did not confine himself to local fights in California and travelled throughout the states to Connecticut, Oklahoma, Nevada, West Virginia, New Mexico and Arizona garnering nationwide TV coverage on SRL promoted ESPN2 cards, which undoubtedly boosted the American boxing publics awareness of this seemingly frail and anaemic yet marauding Irishman.

However, in 2005 with Sugar Ray Leonard’s attentions focused on The Contender TV series and the pangs of homesickness and mammies cooking rumbling in the Dynamo’s belly, Brian Peters brought the matured (14(9) - 0) fighter back home to Dublin to set sail of a voyage that would bring fame, fortune and glory to both. Peters surrounded Dunne with a close-knit team, stalwart trainer Harry Hawkins at the Holy Trinity Gym now trained the Neilstownman and later fitness and conditioning guru Mick McGurn was brought in to answer lingering question marks which dogged Dunne’s ability to cope with the age old conundrum of making weight and maintaining power.................

The rest can be read here.

How will it go? 221 votes

Poonsawat KO win
    0%
    Poonsawat points win
    55%
    NemesisjdMossy MonkGShevYAPMEKRIUQtriv88SeiferBig EarsLawros Tachebassyevad_lhorgziggySherifuCall Me JimmyapplehunterBrian?Drappergernon 123 votes
    Dunne KO win
    2%
    csmOnearmedbanditflahavajBanes05JarrenRHunce 6 votes
    Dunne points win
    14%
    D-FENSalancelticthecutterrun_Forrest_runjimmyboycurrymanDSBKing of KingsAnfieldjoey54joepenguinnutzzz123bigeasyeahianisainmdomrich1874Frankie LeeIang87Daroxtar13663046paulmac13 33 votes
    Other - no contest, draw, technical draw etc
    26%
    DempseyBigConlemeisterroboraven136Kingp35dlofnepDraupnirbullpostdjkeoghSignpostconor563NeamhshuntasachBeanmachinecowzerpmaklBenny Cakemollzergebbelc1979 59 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭itouchmyself

Poonsawat points win
    Il be going for a KO inbetween rounds 6-8 myself. His chin doesn't look good enough and the Thai will keep coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Bernard is going to get "Dunne" in this fight imo. Bad fight for him. Money to be made on Poon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

akindoc wrote: »
    Bernard is going to get "Dunne" in this fight imo. Bad fight for him. Money to be made on Poon

its a 50/50 fight imo - so if you are getting better than evens on Poonsawat then thats good value in my book and worth a punt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Here is my preview article (its a bit of a monster) -

I just read that on boxingscene.

I think it will be tight with Dunne winning on points.

unknown13 wrote: »
    I just read that on boxingscene.

I think it will be tight with Dunne winning on points.

Hopefully I will have time to do a second article which compares and scores the fighters on all aspects and will give a verdict - even though i aint made my mind up yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Poonsawat points win
    Poonsawat ko round 4 :(..........too much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Dunne points win
    nice article vintage, new to boards i see but obviously clued in to some extent. I think yet again that people will underestimate Dunne, he is a different and more complete fighter to 12-18 months ago but you can be sure people will still look for flaws rather than looking at what he has added to his armoury. It is true that he needed a defeat in order to re evaluate his whole approach and he is a much more accomplished fighter for this but he is carrying serious power in both hands now, people questioned his heart and his chin and I think he quelled these doubts in spades last time around, cordoba was no blow in and dunne sucked up everything that was thrown at him, ok dunne was in big trouble in the 5th but dunne also caught cordoba on the money in the 3rd but with no time left in the round to capitalise. The one serious challenge dunne faced was to put more bite into his power in order to compete at a world level and i think it is fair to say that most people were very surprised with this. McGurn,Hawkins and Dunne have dovetailed very well in maximising this and I think people will see a further improvement. If you look at the stats for world title fights (in this weight division in particular) you will see that a very high percentage of world title fights dont go the distance and I cant see this going 12 rounds. Given the height & reach advantage Dunne has one can expect to see this play out with dunne trying to keep things at range especially with the Thai's agressive nature but I would expect to see Dunne get in closer in the latter rounds and take a few more risks.... Im banking on a rd 7-9 stoppage but wouldnt be surprised if it comes earlier.

Just on your article and some trivia about Dunnes earlier career, bonus kudos if you can name Dunnes promoter in the states - before SRL promotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Dunne points win
    Great Article. Would love Dunne to win in another classic, but i have my doubts. If he gets caught with some clean powerful shots then it could be all over. I just hope the Thai is as bad a traveller as has was hinted at in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

Poonsawat points win
    i went against dunne in his last fight and he shocked but I just don't see him been disciplined enough to try an out box poonsawat all night and can see him then trying to brawl him for the fans which btw half the "fans" at the fight wont have a clue about boxing and whilst trying to please the "fans" he will get stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm hoping Dunne can win this. I can see him taking it on a points victory. He'll have to be careful though and keep the guard up cause he will feel this guys punch. I dunno if there is much of a future for Dunne in this division as guys like Juanma, Marquez and Vazquez are strong fighters who can hit hard and get hit hard. I have faith in Dunne and will be rooting for him as I've not been this invested in a boxer in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Dunne points win
    Well he's making the toughest defence of a title in the division (aside from other champs) if he gets by that he will have a very high world ranking in a stacked division ans he'll have gotten there by takin on top ten / five fighters.

Really looking forward to this but will have another look at poonswat before saying who ill think will win.

Anywhere to watch this live outside of ireland? stream or rte website maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Il be going for a KO inbetween rounds 6-8 myself. His chin doesn't look good enough and the Thai will keep coming.

Apologies for that bust up we had on the other thread.
    Cant bring myself to mention your name though.

f the Thai knocks him out it will be the earlier rounds tho ?

Hopefully Bernard on points ?

Dunne_poster_final.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

If Dunne cant do it then it cant be Done

Great poster.

Dunne points win
    spongeman wrote: »
    Great poster.

yeah look the biz.

The official fight poster should show the challenger and the local / irish lads on the undercard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Poonsawat points win
    joepenguin wrote: »
    yeah look the biz.

The official fight poster should show the challenger and the local / irish lads on the undercard though.

That poster must be for an American audience(if you look at the times it gives).

You're right about the official poster though.

maharg92 wrote: »
    i went against dunne in his last fight and he shocked but I just don't see him been disciplined enough to try an out box poonsawat all night and can see him then trying to brawl him for the fans which btw half the "fans" at the fight wont have a clue about boxing and whilst trying to please the "fans" he will get stopped.

I think things will be very different in this fight - there has been no trying to please fans since the martinez fight - the 3 comeback fights seen no attempt at all to go for a please the fans knockout, other than after the clash of heads in the Faccio fight where Bernard thought he would get the decision against him

be under no illusion Bernard will try keep this fella at a comfortable distance and all that matters in this fight is the win, no matter how it comes - also this fight will in no way require Bernard to change from usual tactics, he has a lot of experience now with boxers coming at him, pickering came all night long, voronin too, granted the Thai is better class but Bernard knows exactly what too expect, i think the Thai will be a little more in the dark about what way Bernard will try pick him off

I see Bernard holding him at bay and picking him off, the Thai will remain dangerous throughout but I believe he will get frustrated

Decision: points the mighty Dunne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Dunne points win
    I'm going to go against nearly everyone here and say Dunne will stop him late. He'll use his reach advantage to stay well away from the thai's power shots and wear him down sticking the jab in his eye all night. Stoppage in the 10th.

I could be proven very wrong if Bernard gets careless but thats my opinion.

Poonsawat points win
    john47832 wrote: »
    If Dunne cant do it then it cant be Done

Talk to you the 27th so :pac::pac::pac:

Ah dont get me wrong id love to see any Irish man win a world title... but he's far off it! anyone that knows there boxing knows what I mean.

Hope he doe's it but he aint ever going be top 5 in my view.

• Advertisement

Talk to you the 27th so :pac::pac::pac:

Ah dont get me wrong id love to see any Irish man win a world title... but he's far off it! anyone that knows there boxing knows what I mean.

Hope he doe's it but he aint ever going be top 5 in my view.

he's wba world champion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MCMT

Poonsawat points win
    This is certainly a tough one to call.

I've only seen a few of Kratingdaengym's highlights on youtube - including the entirety of his points win over Cordoba back in 2005. He's a terrific fighter, very strong and solid, but he's not unbeatable. Dunne will need to tighten up his defense (don't we say this every fight?) and make intelligent offensive assaults. By that I mean he'll have to punish this guy every round without wading in too deep. As is evident from his fight with Cordoba, Kratingdaengym is adept at bullying his man into the corner and getting rough - Dunne will want to frustrate him by avoiding that. Let him chase and eat up jabs and hooks.

This is another terrific match up (I'd say fairly even) and, importantly, it will allow us to see what Dunne really has learned from the Martinez massacre. Kratingdaengym will be on top form and very eager so Dunne will have to demonstate that he can control the little man while keeping his composure. There is some solice to be taken from the fact that Kratingdaengym was never able to put the oft off-balance Cordoba down during their fight so perhaps this one won't be as explosive as some are predicting.

Right now I'm siding with Dunne. Most of the odds are stacked in his favour (height/reach, home turf etc) but most importantly, he's now listening to and has confidence in his corner. They outsmarted Cordoba and they can outsmart this guy.

Poonsawat points win
    he's wba world champion!!

Ahh Celestino Caballero is the real wba champion :D :pac:
    love annoying you about it.

Ahh Celestino Caballero is the real wba champion :D :pac:
    love annoying you about it.

Sorry I must have left the point theatre on the 21st March 09 when the MC announced that part :D

Sorry I must have left the point theatre on the 21st March 09 when the MC announced that part :D

I think that that is still under the carpet in the O2 where everyone swept it. Anyway at least Dunne is doing his bit to clean the division up! Which is more than can be said about the WBA!

Poonsawat points win
    Anyway at least Dunne is doing his bit to clean the division up! Which is more than can be said about the WBA!

Obviously Im not a big Dunne fan, but Il give him that much atleast he's taking another step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Let's see all the "Dunne" fans pop up. Personally can't see Bernard win. Poonsawat looks dangerous and Bernards jaw is made of glass. I'd love to see Bernard win but I really can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

MCMT wrote: »
    This is certainly a tough one to call.

I've only seen a few of Kratingdaengym's highlights on youtube - including the entirety of his points win over Cordoba back in 2005. He's a terrific fighter, very strong and solid, but he's not unbeatable. Dunne will need to tighten up his defense (don't we say this every fight?) and make intelligent offensive assaults. By that I mean he'll have to punish this guy every round without wading in too deep. As is evident from his fight with Cordoba, Kratingdaengym is adept at bullying his man into the corner and getting rough - Dunne will want to frustrate him by avoiding that. Let him chase and eat up jabs and hooks.

This is another terrific match up (I'd say fairly even) and, importantly, it will allow us to see what Dunne really has learned from the Martinez massacre. Kratingdaengym will be on top form and very eager so Dunne will have to demonstate that he can control the little man while keeping his composure. There is some solice to be taken from the fact that Kratingdaengym was never able to put the oft off-balance Cordoba down during their fight so perhaps this one won't be as explosive as some are predicting.

Right now I'm siding with Dunne. Most of the odds are stacked in his favour (height/reach, home turf etc) but most importantly, he's now listening to and has confidence in his corner. They outsmarted Cordoba and they can outsmart this guy.

I agree with you MCMT, Poonsawat is a tough little fighter, he bullied Cordoba from start to finish. I thought that Cordoba got some nice combos in on him at times, but throughout the bout he was letting the Thai back him into the ropes and corners were the 2 of them would then slug it out, and Poonsawat been more of the aggressor was happy to do this. Dunne will have to be in top shape both mentally and physically,and do what has already been said, keep the Thai lad at a distant jab and move, and try and dictate the flow of the fight.Dunne is a better boxer im going to go with him to win on points (fingers crossed)

Dunne points win
    Dunnes jaw is an issue alright and if it was proven to a bit sturdier than I would have him as favourite. However he has shown that he is able to get up and survive etc.

Style wise I think Dunne has all the tools to do it and he will give poonswat a lot of trouble. The thai wont be able to throw the shots he likes and he will have to compromise his stance and posture etc to get them, I see Dunnes counter punching throwing him off. However If Dunne finds a rhythm and settles too much he could get "caught cold" by that I mean take a serious blow when not expecting it anywhere in the bout.

If he trys to be a crowd pleaser then he is in danger, however if he fights to win, has patience and sticks to a game plan he can do it and keep the dangerous fighter at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dunnes jaw is an issue alright and if it was proven to a bit sturdier than I would have him as favourite. However he has shown that he is able to get up and survive etc.
    Yes, but Cordoba wasn't a puncher, nor was he really an accurate and deadly finisher.
    Dunne can win, but the resistance to a shot is still a BIG issue and if this guy has a good punch with a killer instinct, then Dunne is in trouble. Bernard has the skills to out box
    this guy from what I have seen, he needs to stay so focused and improve further on that defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Poonsawat points win
    Poonsawat will have too much power for Dunne. :(

6th round KO.

walshb: I noticed you havent submitted your vote to the poll

any chance of jumping off the fence here? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

walshb: I noticed you havent submitted your vote to the poll

any chance of jumping off the fence here? ;)

From what I have seen, Dunne can win here, unless his chin lets him
    down. It's that difficult to judge...The Thai isn't great, is smaller in reach and height and his record is somewhat inflated. The record suggests Dunne should lose. Ring rate the Thai 3 places above Dunne, but that doesn't automatically mean he will win. Molitor is also placed above
    Dunne, and Molitor is far from great.

n268161255295_5324.jpg

Im going for a win for Dunne on points.

The Mrs, who is from Thailand, says a Poonsawat win by KO.

No surprise there then.

• Advertisement

Poonsawat points win
    Johner wrote: »
    Poonsawat will have too much power for Dunne. :(

6th round KO.

I don't agree. He's bullish but from what I've seen he isn't that big of a puncher (although, like many, what I've seen is limited to a few youtube vids). He bullied Cordoba over the majority of 12 rounds but never looked like he could put him down. If anything it was his work rate and aggressiveness that probably won him that fight.

I think if Dunne can disrupt Poon's assaults with some moving and sticking, he'll avoid hairy moments (Cordoba did some of this beautifully in the middle rounds of his fight with the Thai, even making him look really mediocre for a few of them). If he becomes complacent and is satisfied with merely circling with a lowered hands (as he has had a tendency to do in the past), then he might get caught with something unexpected. Otherwise I don't see him down and out in this one.

Likewise, I don't see Poon kissing the canvas either. He's too much of a thick head.

Also, I agree with Walsh that Poon's record is fairly inflated. He fights regularly and has a strong KO percentage, but the opposition has hardly been stellar. I'm not arsed adding up the total loses of the guys he's battered, but it'd be fairly high:

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=69288&cat=boxer

Dunne points win
    So who do you think has the better record.

Dunne or Poonswat

So who do you think has the better record.

Dunne or Poonswat

great question Joe - MCMT says that Poonsawat's record is inflated. Sure it is - but thats boxing in Thailand for ya. They fight every couple of months to earn their keep but top Euro fighters only three about 3 times a year.

But his record is less padded then Dunne's. Dunne was pretty much fighting Mexican roadsweepers with negative records right up until his return to Ireland and even since then he has fought plenty of C level fighters and faded B level fighters.

Lets compare their top level fights.

Dunne -

A Level fights - Ricardo Cordoba W.

B Level fights - Kiko Martinez L. Reidar Walstad W. Esham Pickering W.

Poonsawat -

A Level fights - Ricardo Cordoba W. Somsak Sithchatchawal W. Wladimir Sidorenko L.

B Level fights - Simon Ramoni W. Leo Gamez W. Rafael Hernandez W.

Poonsawat also has more B- level fighters on his ticket as well.

Therefore I would say that Poonsawat has the better record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodgrigez

I went for Dunne on points in the poll but thats just hopeful thinking really. To be honest I cant see past Poonsawat's experience in high level fights. Think he might win on points or a late on stoppage. But I hope Dunne wins :)

Rodgrigez wrote: »
    I went for Dunne on points in the poll but thats just hopeful thinking really. To be honest I cant see past Poonsawat's experience in high level fights. Think he might win on points or a late on stoppage. But I hope Dunne wins :)

talk about hedgin yer bets! :D but yer right - and I still havent made up me mind yet! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

Dunne can do it!!
    ok - Poonsaswat has more power and will be very dangerous early but i think Dunne has learned from the Martinez fight.
    Dunne on pts.

Dunne points win
    great question Joe - MCMT says that Poonsawat's record is inflated. Sure it is - but thats boxing in Thailand for ya. They fight every couple of months to earn their keep but top Euro fighters only three about 3 times a year.

But his record is less padded then Dunne's. Dunne was pretty much fighting Mexican roadsweepers with negative records right up until his return to Ireland and even since then he has fought plenty of C level fighters and faded B level fighters.

Lets compare their top level fights.

Dunne -

A Level fights - Ricardo Cordoba W.

B Level fights - Kiko Martinez L. Reidar Walstad W. Esham Pickering W.

Poonsawat -

A Level fights - Ricardo Cordoba W. Somsak Sithchatchawal W. Wladimir Sidorenko L.

B Level fights - Simon Ramoni W. Leo Gamez W. Rafael Hernandez W.

Poonsawat also has more B- level fighters on his ticket as well.

Therefore I would say that Poonsawat has the better record.

Good analysis there.
    He looks like a big puncher when someone is in front of him trading but with good footwork etc i can see Dunne leading him to over reaching / getting frustrated etc.

He looks like a world class version of kiko. Can ko you if you stand in front of him trading but should be able to negate that power by keeping on the move. Not saying run the whole fight but take him out of his comfort zone a bit, make him make mistakes / over commit. This way I feel Dunne can hurt the guy.

Poonsawat points win

Agreed. I was very much aware when I made that point that Dunne's record is equally, if not more, inflated.

But in fairness, I haven't heard a single commentator using Dunne's record as proof of his excellence. Admittedly, that's likely down to the fact that Irish fans have little to go off other than Poon's record.

Nice breakdown, Vintage.

Poonsawat points win
    Good analysis there.
    He looks like a big puncher when someone is in front of him trading but with good footwork etc i can see Dunne leading him to over reaching / getting frustrated etc.

He looks like a world class version of kiko. Can ko you if you stand in front of him trading but should be able to negate that power by keeping on the move. Not saying run the whole fight but take him out of his comfort zone a bit, make him make mistakes / over commit. This way I feel Dunne can hurt the guy.

Agreed - he's a strong puncher and much more well rounded than Kiko. He knows how to pressure and doesn't look to bad on the back foot either.

I think Dunne can learn a lot from the Poon-Cordoba fight, even if it was a god few years ago. Cordoba had a lot of success when he used angles and moved off to the side rather than backwards. Poon's defense is fairly basic so Dunne should be able to hit with some frequency with the left hook. Cordoba also had his greatest successes when he disrupted P with lots and lots and lots of jabs. When the jabbing decreased Poon could force his way inside and tear him up with body shots etc. And hopefully Dunne will do a better job on the clinch because Cordoba was an absolute mess there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Dunne points win
    Bookies have it very close in the betting and are seldom wrong.
    A contest which is predicted to be as close this has been will keep Bernard on his toes and subsequently at his best and I think he will have the edge !

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Dunne points win
    Bookies have it very close in the betting and are seldom wrong.

Cough Cough, The bookies were well wide of the mark last time out, pricing Dunne at 16-1 to win by stoppage.... in a two horse race this was an insane price and regardless of the pre fight stats this was a hugh error so it will be interesting to see how much this price tightens up.

It is very interesting to see the general consensus is either a PK win by stoppage or Dunne on points. I can understand why nobody is expecting PK to win on points but why are so many people reluctant to expect a stoppage win by Dunne????? Sure he will try and enforce his style by boxing him from the outside but with PK's style he will also have to get in tight and I personally expect him to wear him down with body shots in the first half of the fight. From what I have seen of PK he is definately vulnerable towards the latter rounds and his workrate tails off, Cordoba had most of his success towards the latter rounds and I expect Dunne with his new found strenght & power to take a few risks and do damage in these rounds...

Ill give ye the money meself if he knocks him out - IMO the only chance of a stoppage here for the mighty Dunne is with body shots and this guy seems very short, not much body to hit

alanceltic wrote: »
    Cough Cough, The bookies were well wide of the mark last time out, pricing Dunne at 16-1 to win by stoppage.... in a two horse race this was an insane price and regardless of the pre fight stats this was a hugh error so it will be interesting to see how much this price tightens up.

It is very interesting to see the general consensus is either a PK win by stoppage or Dunne on points. I can understand why nobody is expecting PK to win on points but why are so many people reluctant to expect a stoppage win by Dunne????? Sure he will try and enforce his style by boxing him from the outside but with PK's style he will also have to get in tight and I personally expect him to wear him down with body shots in the first half of the fight. From what I have seen of PK he is definately vulnerable towards the latter rounds and his workrate tails off, Cordoba had most of his success towards the latter rounds and I expect Dunne with his new found strenght & power to take a few risks and do damage in these rounds...

Al, I've seen no evidence that Poonsawat's work rate tails off towards the end. I thought that Poonsawat kept pushing Cordoba all the way to the end. Also I think that Poonsawat is a much better fighter now than he was when he better Cordoba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Poonsawat points win
    I cannot wait for this fight. It's gonna be a cracker that's for sure. I will be cheering on Dunne 100% but I can see him getting KTFO I'm afraid. Dunne will use his reach advantage and try outbox the Thai but I cannot see him going the 12 rounds without getting caught. Dunne can win if he boxes out of his skin again so it wouldnt say it is a foregone conclusion. But if I had to bet, I would say Poonsawat to K.O Dunne. Win or lose, Bernard Dunne will forever go down in Irish boxing folklore. Best of luck Bernard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 13663046

Dunne points win
    Al, I've seen no evidence that Poonsawat's work rate tails off towards the end. I thought that Poonsawat kept pushing Cordoba all the way to the end. Also I think that Poonsawat is a much better fighter now than he was when he better Cordoba.

You say how much Poon has improved since the Cordoba fight, but no one has mention how much Cordoba had improved since the Poon fight. this was 4 years ago and Cordoba was 20 and from looking at the fight he was just a boy. Both fighters have changed and improved and in my opinion if cordoba had fought Poon now rather that 4 years ago he would beat him.

You arent in your prime at 20 more like 30.

I myself am for Dunne, he will wear Poon down with accurate punches and wouldn't be suprised if he stopped him also poon has travelled either so am looking forward to how he handles it.

This will def be dunnes toughest fight as Poon is none stop and everyone wants to avoid him, and being from thai those guys have been in wars from when they were kids, even if they have poor records they are still very tough.

Kevin

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement