Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Bernard Dunne v Poonsawat Kratingdaengym thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

john47832 wrote: »
    To be fair though walshb, you would have retired him after the Martinez fight
    John I am concerned as to when you would consider a retirement for him, maybe permanent injury or more bad beatings, or worse?

REF Kiko:No, I wouldn't have retired him, at least not for health reasons. That fight was simply answering a lot of peoples
    queries regarding the chin. He was hurt bad and took some good shots, but everyone deserves one loss. Now, this has simply rubber stamped it, he hasn't the chin
    and strength and what would be the point to take unnecessary shots and endanger your
    health when you are not up to it?

BTW, this isn't just Dunne I would say this for. The likes of Lee and esp. Duddy
    should also be considering their future. Both take shots and both are
    going nowhere IMO. Hatton the same. But you know what, you will always
    have folks wanting them to keep going. I don't get this.

This isn't darts or snooker we're talking about. This is pro boxing where people
    can get badly injured and when your number is up and you cannot compete
    at the top, why try to campaign at the top and get badly beaten?

Sure, he could come back, fight some cans and retire, but what will
    that achieve or prove and it won't make much money

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

Again, another maxes out the brain usage for the day

hey Einstein take a look at this - "sarcasm a witty or ironic comment such as irony is wasted on the stupid"

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I think Bernard has all the skills to be a great fighter but sadly not the chin. I just don't think at that level you can get by and stay at the top without riding the heavy punches and he clearly gets rocked badly by them. Its really sad as he has the heart to fight.
    He didn't do anyone a dis-service by his performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Other - no contest, draw, technical draw etc
    Blah blah blah, TKO your own BS.:D
    Picking up for your little friend are we.....lol

Yes.

walshb wrote: »
    Yeah T-K-O, but you do realise that your slur on Kiko may unintentionally place Dunne
    even lower down, after all, Kiko did destroy Dunne, and Kiko himself
    has never been destroyed. Beaten, yes, but never destroyed.

I fail to see how knocking a weak chinned fighter out with punches is luck?

99% of the guys (who can box) Kiko will fight will combat that power as Munroe did.

T-K-O wrote: »
    99% of the guys (who can box) Kiko will fight will combat that power as Munroe did.

Yeah, Kiko is limited and a guy with skill and a CHIN will show this. But, Dunne is lacking in the chin, so he will not expose it. Munroe is a tough and strong chinned fighter who would IMO be a bad match for PK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

No, I wouldn't have retired him, at least not for health reasons. That fight was simply answering a lot of peoples
    queries regarding the chin. He was hurt bad and took some good shots, but everyone deserves one loss. Now, this has simply rubber stamped it, he hasn't the chin
    and strength and what would be the point to take unnecessary shots and endanger your
    health when you are not up to it?

BTW, this isn't just Dunne I would say this for. The likes of Duddy and Lee
    should also be considering their future. Both take shots and both are
    going nowhere IMO. Hatton the same. But you know what, you will always
    have folks wanting them to keep going. I don't get this,

This isn't darts or snooker we're talking about. This is pro boxing where people
    can get badly injured and when your number is up and you cannot compete
    at the top, why try to campaign at the top and get badly beaten?

Sure, he could come back, fight some cans and retire, but what will
    that achieve or prove and it won't make much money

This guy he was fighting has a rock hard head, leaves no body to be hit, and the punches he landed with would have put a few title holders down, not only at this weight but even feather and possibly higher -

nobody who has an ounce of care for him would like to see him get hurt, but what do you think would hurt more, leaving a great career on a sour note like that or the possibility of being floored once more?

also the likes of Molitor and Munroe are not cans - and would not pose serious danger - yes Bernard has limitations, but he is still an outstanding boxer with a great heart who deserves a little more respect than is received

To be fair though walshb, you would have retired him after the Martinez fight

That is a fair point Walsh.. There is an argument for Dunne to hang them up or fight on. The decision is his, and personally I would support him either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

raven136 wrote: »
    Whats with all this abuse to so called muppet fans who filled out casltebar,the point and the o2?Do people involved in the boxing scene not want outsiders getting involved and following the sport.Do i have to have boxed to go see a world title fight.

No, but the thing that i hate about dunnes fights are the muppets who go see the fight, and every time withour fail, boo and jeer his opponent like it were a bloody WWE fight and hes the 'baddie'. Its disgraceful and disrespectful, and any right minded boxing fan wouldnt do it. Alot of the people who go to dunnes fights do it constantly thus proving theyre just morons who are only there cause dunnes 'one a de lads jerknoworrimean'

• Advertisement

This guy he was fighting has a rock hard head, leaves no body to be hit, and the punches he landed with would have put a few title holders down, not only at this weight but even feather and possibly higher -

nobody who has an ounce of care for him would like to see him get hurt, but what do you think would hurt more, leaving a great career on a sour note like that or the possibility of being floored once more?

also the likes of Molitor and Munroe are not cans - and would not pose serious danger - yes Bernard has limitations, but he is still an outstanding boxer with a great heart who deserves a little more respect than is received

This is what I don't get. Now, we will have the hype about how amazing PK is.
    The shots he hit Dunne with were good shots, but the effects of the shots
    made them appear even better. That's because Bernard cannot take a good shot.

I would pick Munroe to beat PK. I would pick any skilled fighter with a reach and height advantage and a chin to beat PK. He is not the next Mike Tyson.

There is not a possibility of him getting floored once more, it's a reality. He will get
    floored and hurt when hit by any decent shots and even Munroe can throw a decent shot. Bernard has taken his fair share of punches and twice now he's been
    decisively beaten. He had a hell of a tough time with Cordoba. The miles
    are clocking up and it's time to really think hard.

That is a fair point Walsh.. There is an argument for Dunne to hang them up or fight on. The decision is his, and personally I would support him either way.

If I were close to Dunne, I would say give it in. I would do it as a friend and an adviser.
    Bernard will make the decision, I just hope he hasn't got the leeches around him
    conning him and manipulating him and trying to convince him
    that he still has it. Bernard needs honest and good advice, just like
    many boxers needed, and never bloody got. The last person to know
    they are past it and in danger are the boxers. It's a drug to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

If he wants to fight some cans before another title shot then I would still go and cheer him on.

He will not retire and he should not. He needs a new trainer that can help him with his shortcomings, thats all.

I still believe in him.

Yeah, Kiko is limited and a guy with skill and a CHIN will show this. But, Dunne is lacking in the chin, so he will not expose it. Munroe is a tough and strong chinned fighter who would IMO be a bad match for PK.

You give Kiko and Munroe far to much credit. Kiko is one of the most limited fighters I have seen. A very average Munroe out boxed him for 24 rounds.

You give Kiko and Munroe far to much credit. Kiko is one of the most limited fighters I have seen. A very average Munroe out boxed him for 24 rounds.

What?

I just said that KIko is limited and was exposed. How is that credit?:confused:

Hey, he beat Dunne. Big Deal. That doesn't make him great. He beat Dunne not because he was great, but because Dunne has no chin

If I were close to Dunne, I would say give it in. I would do it as a friend and an adviser.
    Bernard will make the decision, I just hope he hasn't got the leeches around him

Of course the leeches are there, they always are. His Dad knows the game and I'm sure between the two of them they will make the right decision, what ever that may be.

• Advertisement

0ubliette wrote: »
    No, but the thing that i hate about dunnes fights are the muppets who go see the fight, and every time withour fail, boo and jeer his opponent like it were a bloody WWE fight and hes the 'baddie'. Its disgraceful and disrespectful, and any right minded boxing fan wouldnt do it. Alot of the people who go to dunnes fights do it constantly thus proving theyre just morons who are only there cause dunnes 'one a de lads jerknoworrimean'

Its called home advantage. If anyone does'nt like it they should stick to knitting.

spongeman wrote: »
    If he wants to fight some cans before another title shot then I would still go and cheer him on.

He will not retire and he should not. He needs a new trainer that can help him with his shortcomings, thats all.

I still believe in him.

What exactly do you believe in?

Do you think overnight he will magically develop
    a steel chin and strength and MORE skill. He's almost 30 now.
    It's not gonna' change. Jim Rock even said about the chin.

spongeman, I respect you, but surely you cannot be serious?

What?

I just said that KIko is limited and was exposed. How is that credit?:confused:

Hey, he beat Dunne. Big Deal. That doesn't make him great. He beat Dunne not because he was great, but because Dunne has no chin

I dont see any skill in relation to Kiko. Munroe stuck his gaurd up and Kiko hadn't a clue.

Of course the leeches are there, they always are. His Dad knows the game and I'm sure between the two of them they will make the right decision, what ever that may be.

Well, sometimes people make the wrong decision and in this case I know what that is.
    I am hoping I never see Bernard taking a bating like he did the other night

I dont see any skill in relation to Kiko. Munroe stuck his gaurd up and Kiko hadn't a clue.

Nor do I see much skill with Kiko. I never ever said he was skilled. He simply can throw punches, punches that Dunne couldn't take. We are on the same page regarding
    Martinez' talent level.

• Advertisement

Its called home advantage. If anyone does'nt like it they should stick to knitting.

I go to a lot of fights and while I never feel the need to boo the opponent, I don't jump of my seat and give him the céad míle fáilte.

This is not unique to Ireland. BTW Just like Kiko, Poonsawaat was given a round of applause leaving the ring.

What exactly do you believe in?

Do you think overnight he will magically develop
    a steel chin and strength and MORE skill. He's almost 30 now.
    It's not gonna' change. Jim Rock even said about the chin.

spongeman, I respect you, but surely you cannot be serious?

Its a mental thing as well I believe. He has the boxing skills. He is not utilising them in the best way. Ok if he had to run for 12 rounds then he should have. Somebody did not tell him that.

Its a mental thing as well I believe. He has the boxing skills. He is not utilising them in the best way. Ok if he had to run for 12 rounds then he should have. Somebody did not tell him that.

It's a boxing match, not a race. Bernard at some point has to engage and throw shots and this is when you are open. Even the cutest fighters know that they are at their most
    vulnerable when they open up. His defence isn't the best, and nothing will make it all that much better. It is better than it was a couple of years ago, but not by much.

He is utilizing his skill, he is simply unable to take a shot. He cannot change this, unless he does run, but running and not throwing shots doesn't win fights, and even running does not guarantee that you will avoid shots.

I will not fault Ben at all for how he fought. He moved, tried to keep distance, threw shots, but he simply hadn't the strength to keep the man off. The man set a hard pace and Dunne wasn't up to it. If you watch a few seconds before the firs knock down, Dunne was looking tired. He had taken shots before the hook and the pace was tremendous.

The only way Dunne was going to win the fight was by taking PK out before
    he was taken out, and again, Dunne had nothing to throw to gain PKs respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I just hope he hasn't got the leeches around him

He's as good now as he was last week, i dont believe he's damaged in any way-if bernard should retire then so should 50% of known boxers and basically nearly every journey man, i'd look at it all totally different if he was minted, then i'd say he's won the european, world title and can afford to enjoy it now.

Not saying he should keep fighting but totally think its fine if he wants to as nothing has changed in eyes, we know his limitations but he also has talents that he had all along, i actually thought he looked great the 1st 2 rounds.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    He's as good now as he was last week, i dont believe he's damaged in any way-if bernard should retire then so should 50% of known boxers and basically nearly every journey man, i'd look at it all totally different if he was minted, then i'd say he's won the european, world title and can afford to enjoy it now.

Not saying he should keep fighting but totally think its fine if he wants to as nothing has changed in eyes, we know his limitations but he also has talents that he had all along, i actually thought he looked great the 1st 2 rounds.

Paul, like I said earlier, I couldn't fault his performance. He boxed well in rd 1 and I gave him the rd. The second rd saw PK getting closer and landing more, even fight and rd three the effects of the pace and shots done him in. He is not minted, but he is comfortable and has options, much bloody easier than taking beatings. I would urge him to use them options

Dunne is not financially secure. He hasn't made as much as people would think. While I do think there is no shame in retiring. I would agree with Cowzerp and Dunne looked pretty good in the early rounds.

There is only a handful of guys in the world that would do that to Dunne - That IMO is not reason enough to retire.

Interesting to read Carruth's thoughts on the issue. He said that it was bad management to have Dunne fight this guy in his first defence. I said long ago, that Dunne should have a few 'easy' fights after the Cordoba war. Now, I know it was a mandatory, but surely the team could have pulled some stroke to avoid risking the belt vs PK and if it meant a stripping, so be it. Carruth also calls for Bernard to retire.

BTW, there was only three rds, Dunne won 1 and PK won two I thought. RD 2 was close, but PK shaded it, even
    though Bernard did well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

Poonsawat points win
    should he move up a weight if he stays in the game?

should he move up a weight if he stays in the game?

Won't put muscle enough on his chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i doubt he has that much money. prob has a few quid but hes only 29. long road ahead. he may go on for a few more fights i feel. retired fighters will hardly have that many options open to him unless he went into the promotion game like peters or something?? media work with rte would be small.

• Advertisement

Interesting to read Carruth's thoughts on the issue. He said that it was bad management to have Dunne fight this guy in his first defence. I said long ago, that Dunne should have a few 'easy' fights after the Cordoba war. Now, I know it was a mandatory, but surely the team could have pulled some stroke to avoid risking the belt vs PK and if it meant a stripping, so be it. Carruth also calls for Bernard to retire.

BTW, there was only three rds, Dunne won 1 and PK won two I thought. RD 2 was close, but PK shaded it, even
    though Bernard did well.

Guys on here know well that I never liked Dunnes team. I didn't want to bring it up as it sounds like an excuse.

Curruth is spot on most management teams pull the same stroke all the time.
    It doesnt matter now but I thought I head Dunne took round 1 and 2 on the score cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

No, its called being ridiculously disrespectful. Im not saying dunnes fans should have given poonsawat a standing ovation upon entering the ring, but theres no need for booing at all

No, its called being ridiculously disrespectful. Im not saying dunnes fans should have given poonsawat a standing ovation upon entering the ring, but theres no need for booing at all

It was light hearted to be honest, many tanked up guys just having the banter.
    There was no malice in it from what I saw.

Guys on here know well that I never liked Dunnes team. I didn't want to bring it up as it sounds like an excuse.

Curruth is spot on most management teams pull the same stroke all the time.
    It doesnt matter now but I thought I head Dunne took round 1 and 2 on the score cards.

whats wrong with the team do u think?? i only really know peters but hes a promotor not a boxing expert. hawkins is the trainer. is there more? do u reckon they havent enough know all about things TKO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Dunne points win
    I was absolutely gutted for Bernard last night. I just couldn't see how this opponent was right for him and I hoped against hope that it wouldn't end the way it did. Devastated for him. I'll forever be greatful to Bernard for some of the great nights he gave us, in particular the buzz in the stadium for the Cordoba fight will stay with me for a long time.

I generally try and gauge an athlete's delivery on their potential and that is the main thing I use to form my opinion of them. For example, Kevin Kilbane is a footballer with limited skills but has managed to have a lengthy career in the top flight of football = over achiever. Jimmy White clearly had the skills to win world titles but didn't have the mentality and never did it = under achiever. Sonia O'Sullivan had the talent to win Olympic gold but didn't, though that was largely due to a Romanian drug cheat so is a bad example. David Gillick getting 6th in World Champs 400m: I heard several people mock him for 'almost coming last' whereas what he did was really quite exceptional.

When I make an honest assessment of it, despite my huge admiration of Bernard, I never thought a strong case could be made to say he clearly had the talent that should automatically lead to a world title. And forget what belt it was, he did that, he managed to over achieve and win a world title. How any of these keyboard warriors can have anything but respect for the man after that is beyond me and says more about those people than it does about Bernard.

I was heartened by the first round and was hoping Bernard could keep Poonsawat at that length for 4 or 5 rounds and then hope that PK's punches might have had a little bit of power sapped from them so he could exchange a few every now and then and then get back to the outside. But in reality, PK was just getting a feel for Bernard's punches and once he felt Bernard couldn't hurt him, the outcome was inevitable. I really don't see how Bernard could beat this guy even in a rematch. There may be something to the suggestions that with a 13 week training camp he was over-trained and I agree that he looked skinny rather than lean, featherweight seems more and more to be his natural weight.

I was screaming at the TV for Bernard to use the full ring after the first knockdown in particular. He neither ran away or tried to cling on like Macklin's opponent did on Friday - he was caught in the no man's land that is the last place you want to be in that situation. But most people that have actually boxed and have actually been knocked out or been close to it know that comments like 'his corner were to blame' or 'he was far to cocky going back after him when he got up' are misinformed at best. The reality is that definitely after the second knockdown, Bernard's eyes showed the telltale signs of that darkness that comes over your eyes in those situations. It's pretty hard to even hear or see anything when your brain has been shaken like that, let alone have your wits about you to move away promptly.

Whether you think he was lucky to get there, or if he could or should get back to that level (can't see it happening), there is no denying that the man was a World Champion and he can be proud of himself for that. But forgetting about the discussion on how he stacks up against other champions, it is the following speech that he gave immediately after the most painful and humiliating experience in his professional career that to me shows what a true champion Bernard Dunne is:

Even if you don't rate the guy compared to the top level champions, surely he deserves respect?

One of the best posts ive read on here. Dunne has his limits and unfortunately they were badly exposed the other night but you cant fault his heart and desire the be one of the best.

ah i wouldnt mind that to much(wouldnt boo anyone myself) but its all part of the show. in fairness us irish are a pretty fair lot. we all gave fair dues to poonswaat for his nights work after. from all reports he got a good recption all in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

Shane10 wrote: »
    ah i wouldnt mind that to much(wouldnt boo anyone myself) but its all part of the show. in fairness us irish are a pretty fair lot. we all gave fair dues to poonswaat for his nights work after. from all reports he got a good recption all in all.

The majority of people around be clapped him on the way into the ring - some morons booed! The Thai anthem was impecably observed and Poonsawat was roundly clapped by all when he went to each corner of the ring after the fight.

The majority of people around be clapped him on the way into the ring - some morons booed! The Thai anthem was impecably observed and Poonsawat was roundly clapped by all when he went to each corner of the ring after the fight.

All the skangers in the cheap seats booed!:D

did ye see poonswaat shook magee's hand from reaching through the ring. did jimmy reach out for him or did poonswaat recognize him prob from during the week and shook his hand ? thought it seemed a nice jesture. anyone know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

Poonsawat points win
    sounds like jimmy jumping on the bandwagon to me

whats wrong with the team do u think?? i only really know peters but hes a promotor not a boxing expert. hawkins is the trainer. is there more? do u reckon they havent enough know all about things TKO?

Experts - that is the key word. I dont want to come down to hard on his team but if you want to compete against the best you need the best around you.

The Vorinon fight was the first sign and nothing happened after that fight. No change what so ever in the way Bernard boxed. We all know the abilities that Dunne has yet he tried to fight like a Rafa Marquez. :confused:

As Jim Rock said you cant put muscles on your chin but I always thought Bernard made a mistake coming back from the states. (Q the rumour mill that he was sent home :rolleyes: )

All the skangers in the cheap seats booed!:D

:D

One could argue that the Voronin fight showed Bernard had a weak chin and weak resistance. Surround yourself with whomever you like and this probably won't change.
    I am no fan of Peter's and do not think he's a boxing man, a money man, but not boxing.

There is only so far a team can bring a fighter, but the fighter must also have the tangibles.
    In Dunne's case, he doesn't have them. Saying this, I am with Carruth fully regarding the
    go ahead with this fight.

One could argue that the Voronin fight showed Bernard had a weak chin and weak resistance. Surround yourself with whomever you like and this probably won't change.
    I am no fan of Peter's and do not think he's a boxing man, a money man, but not boxing.

There is only so far a team can bring a fighter, but the fighter must also have the tangibles.
    In Dunne's case, he doesn't have them. Saying this, I am with Carruth fully regarding the

At least Bernard did'nt throw his title in the bin like that coward Riddick Bowe did, rather than fight Lennox Lewis. Is that what Carruth is saying?

Dunne may have a weak chin but theres nothing weak about his heart.

I can't help but think a top coach would have picked up on those flaws and schooled Dunne to box in a fashion that would best suit his ability.

His guard or lack of, is a prime example. I think a top coach would have worked on that problem from early on and not wait until he got KOed.

Novice Coach
    Novice Promoter
    Novice Team

• Advertisement

One could argue that the Voronin fight showed Bernard had a weak chin and weak resistance.

I disagree walshb - even though it has been proven that Bernard does not have the same punch resistance as McCullough - at the time of the Voronin fight it came in round 10 of his first 10 round fight, I do not see how this could predict the future

Novice Coach
    Novice Promoter
    Novice Team

whatever about the coaching i dont think any promoter would have done a better job than peters in fairness.

whatever about the coaching i dont think any promoter would have done a better job than peters in fairness.

Again I am grateful these guys brought the sport back to the mainstream.
    Peters should have secured at least one fight before Dunne took his mandatory, I also believe Dunne should have made more money while the sun was shining.

I was ring side for every one of Dunnes fights at 200/250 a pop it wasn't cheap. The under cards could have been a lot better.

In saying that I would pay it again tomorrow. You can't beat live boxing and the buzz around the point is fantastic. Funny enough the night he lost to Kiko the place was electric.

I disagree walshb - even though it has been proven that Bernard does not have the same punch resistance as McCullough - at the time of the Voronin fight it came in round 10 of his first 10 round fight, I do not see how this could predict the future

Lets remember Dunne schooled that guy for 9 round in what was a great performance up until the 10. He also showed great heart surviving the round.

Surelythe coach and the team could hear the alarm bells after that fight, but it wasn't until after the Kiko fight that we saw a minor improvement in Dunnes defence.

Lets remember Dunne schooled that guy for 9 round in what was a great performance up until the 10. He also showed great heart surviving the round.

Surelythe coach and the team could hear the alarm bells after that fight, but it wasn't until after the Kiko fight that we saw a minor improvement in Dunnes defence.

But they did - it was only after that the decision was made to campaign at super bantam - before that the plan was to fight at feather

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement