Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Bernard Dunne v Poonsawat Kratingdaengym thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Other - no contest, draw, technical draw etc
    Just regaurding weight , The thai fighter was reportedly 9lbs over the 122lbs limit this week !

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=22405

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    Just regaurding weight , The thai fighter was reportedly 9lbs over the 122lbs limit this week !

supposedly its normal for Thai fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭bamboozler

Poonsawat points win
    Macsimus wrote: »
    is this on rte or is it poxy pay per view??

No RTE at 930
    PPV with an irish boxer headlining the card and fight, i dont think i will ever see that in my lifetime.
    Rogan a good undercard, fagan only cos he fought can, duddy's looks over, lee fights bums, macklin is en???h, and noone knows dunne outside ireland. hopefully mccloskey wins the europoean and gets a shot a pacquiao, so maybe.

Think poonswat will ko him but hope not and bernard uses his big height advantage. wasnt great fan of dunne before his last fight cos thought he was too cocky but he showed so much heart and seems a lot more humble seen he lost to kiko.

Anyone know what time they touch gloves, so know what time to hit the pub, presume its round 1030?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Poonsawat points win
    ODD-JOB wrote: »

What time wil we know what they touch the scales at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Will not be a problem on the weight issue here.He has always made the weight.

However if the challenger did not make the weight it would normally become a non title match i believe ?

• Advertisement

Poonsawat points win
    spongeman wrote: »
    Will not be a problem on the weight issue here.He has always made the weight.

However if the challenger did not make the weight it would normally become a non title match i believe ?

Would the fight be allowed go ahead though?? Iv seen the odd fights go ahead if there a small bit over but 9lbs is a bit much, no??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

weigh in at 3 - id imagine he would get some time after that if he doesnt make it

According to the Wba website:

He is given an additional 2 hours.

if the challenger does not make the weight after these two hours, and he then wins, the champion will retain the title.

God we are really plumbing the depths on here now!!!!!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 gandhi24

I was in the Gym last night in Ballsbridge and Poonswat was on the treadmill next to me. He was going hard on it for an hour wearing a sweat-suit.

I have trained in thailand previously for muay thai and it seems to be pretty common practice among thai fighters to be 7-8lb overweight with a few days to go to the fight. I would be pretty confident that he will be there or thereabouts come weigh in time.

gandhi24 wrote: »
    I was in the Gym last night in Ballsbridge and Poonswat was on the treadmill next to me. He was going hard on it for an hour wearing a sweat-suit.

I have trained in thailand previously for muay thai and it seems to be pretty common practice among thai fighters to be 7-8lb overweight with a few days to go to the fight. I would be pretty confident that he will be there or thereabouts come weigh in time.

Hope you gave him a few jabs! Give him an of Irish bunch of fives !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Dunne points win
    bamboozler wrote: »
    No RTE at 930
    PPV with an irish boxer headlining the card and fight, i dont think i will ever see that in my lifetime.
    Rogan a good undercard, fagan only cos he fought can, duddy's looks over, lee fights bums, macklin is en???h, and noone knows dunne outside ireland. hopefully mccloskey wins the europoean and gets a shot a pacquiao, so maybe.

Think poonswat will ko him but hope not and bernard uses his big height advantage. wasnt great fan of dunne before his last fight cos thought he was too cocky but he showed so much heart and seems a lot more humble seen he lost to kiko.

Anyone know what time they touch gloves, so know what time to hit the pub, presume its round 1030?

I remember the Kiko fight standing in a bar,there 3 or 4 goons behind me commenting saying how they'd love to see Bernard lose, he's too cocky, full of himself, too mouthy ect ect ect....
    The country is full of people like you since Bernard won the World Title... Loads of People thought he was cocky, and would never make it and when he did people start to jump on the band wagon.
    I myself have always like Bernard. People who truely followed him knows he wasnt cocky, confident yes, (confident in his ability and as it turns out he was correct) and didnt get more humble since the kiko fight, he got more focused.
    I love watching Bernard fight. He's all heart,guts, determination and that will get you a long way not just in sport but life also.

spongeman wrote: »
    According to the Wba website:

He is given an additional 2 hours.

if the challenger does not make the weight after these two hours, and he then wins, the champion will retain the title.

God we are really plumbing the depths on here now!!!!!!!:pac:

No depth plumming here sponge - we just want a fair fight at level weights, we dont want PK stuffin his face then saying he cant fight

poor Bernard is starvin these days

Get him a tray of snack boxes then !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No matter what way the Thai fighters do it, this doesn't seem to be healthy in this case.
    Sweating hard running a day before the weigh in?:eek:

Bernard cannot make weight easy either, but he does it. It must be very
    difficult for him, as he is a tall guy for this weight.

Let's hope the Thai makes it first time and doesn't have to work hard to sweat down
    a lb or two. Bernard would want that, obviously, I would too if I was Dunne.

walshb wrote: »
    No matter what way the Thai fighters do it, this doesn't seem to be healthy in this case.
    Sweating hard running a day before the weigh in?:eek:

Bernard cannot make weight easy either, but he does it. It must be very
    difficult for him, as he is a tall guy for this weight.

Let's hope the Thai makes it first time and doesn't have to work hard to sweat down
    a lb or two. Bernard would want that, obviously, I would too if I was Dunne.

yeah its bad for the body alright.

Dunne is lighter now then when he was 19!! :eek:

Yea the harder he has towork the better it will be for Saint Bernard.

However this is all unfounded speculation, until the weigh in.

yeah its bad for the body alright.

Dunne is lighter now then when he was 19!! :eek:

That's true, a 57 kg fighter aged 19 or so, and ten years later he's below this. Wow!
    That is very unusual, as we all know that as you age, you grow and mature, especially
    from the teens thru to the late 20s. Bernard has hinted at times that the making weight
    is the real hard part of it all, for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Well he would have to have a way lower bodyfat now than he had last time right?
    After all he has being lifting weights a fair bit since the kiko fight.
    That thai fighter will make that weight no problem he was only 9 pounds over it after a huge meal.
    Most of that is water sticking to carbs in his body.

Well he would have to have a way lower bodyfat now than he had last time right?
    After all he has being lifting weights a fair bit since the kiko fight.
    That thai fighter will make that weight no problem he was only 9 pounds over it after a huge meal.
    Most of that is water sticking to carbs in his body.

Only 9 lbs? Look, no matter what way you cut it, that cannot be easy.

9 lbs in a week or two weeks is tough, but a day or two? Gotta' be very difficult. Achievable? Yes, but it will take a lot out of a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Bernard Dunne and his mandatory challenger, Poonsawat of Thailand, have both made the weight ahead of Saturday's World title fight at the O2.

Dunne successfully weighed-in under the 122 pounds limit at his first attempt while the challenger was marginally heavier and had to step onto the scales three times before he was given the all-clear.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

Too many pies perhaps PK ?

Good news for Dunne.

Your all getting worked up.
    He arrived in Dublin sat and was reportedly weighting 6 pounds over the 122.
    He had a dinner and then he weighed 9 pounds over the limit reportedly.
    So he has 6 days to loose 9 pounds. Now he might of loaded up with carbs in Thailand.

1000 grams = 1 litre

1 gram of crabs = +3 grams of water toy your weight.

2.2 pounds = 1 kg

4kg = 9 pounds

Now I've ofter done a diet and when i came off that diet i weighed an extra 8 pounds in a few hours not days.So I don't buy this at all.
    He will make the weight fine, it's probably only a stunt.

fatgav wrote: »
    Bernard Dunne and his mandatory challenger, Poonsawat of Thailand, have both made the weight ahead of Saturday's World title fight at the O2.

Dunne successfully weighed-in under the 122 pounds limit at his first attempt while the challenger was marginally heavier and had to step onto the scales three times before he was given the all-clear.

So, he didn't do any work to make weight? Just three times he stepped on and after the third, they gave him the all clear? I wonder how much time between weighs?

Anyway, I'd love to see the fight weights tomorrow night in the ring.

Bernard should try and refuel as much as possible and come in 10-12 lbs heavier, you can bet PK will.

wow i told ya nothing to worry about....

So he has 6 days to loose 9 pounds. Now he might of loaded up with carbs in Thailand.

1000 grams = 1 litre

2.2 pounds = 1 kg

4kg = 9 pounds

Now I've ofter done a diet and when i came off that diet i weighed an extra 8 pounds in a few hours not days.So I don't buy this at all.

Well, with this extra information, then it is clearer to me.

6 days to lose 9 lbs is a whole lot better than one to two days.

Thanks for the needed details.

BTW, I have put on 8-10 lbs in a day on several occasions.
    It can be done quite easily

1000 grams = 1 litre

2.2 pounds = 1 kg

4kg = 9 pounds

I'm not surprised your diets are dodgy if your calculating 1000 grams to equal 1 Litre :rolleyes:

john47832 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised your diets are dodgy if your calculating 1000 grams to equal 1 Litre :rolleyes:
    Oh i missed a zero....
    Nice catch .

I think it's simply for comparison purposes. Drink a litre of water, and you will
    gain roughly, and very close to 1kg. Same with milk or coke or beer.

1000ml approx equals 1000 grammes, water and other drinks I am talking about

Well, with this extra information, then it is clearer to me.

6 days to lose 9 lbs is a whole lot better than one to two days.

Thanks for the needed details.

BTW, I have put on 8-10 lbs in a day on several occasions.
    It can be done quite easily
    Well the way you were over reacting was why i posted my calculations just to show people it wasn't unheard of or even strange.
    He's not a retard.

• Advertisement

I think it's simply for comparison purposes. Drink a litre of water, and you will
    gain roughly, and very close to 1kg. Same with milk or coke or beer.

1000ml approx equals 1000 grammes

when i went to school (a little while ago now) 1000grams equaled 1 Kilogram

life was simple back then :)

You've great eye sight anyway john .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Poonsawat points win

1000 grams = 1 litre

2.2 pounds = 1 kg

4kg = 9 pounds

Every decent boxer knows it's the one gram of crabs that makes them scratch of the excess weight!
    Go on Bernard, hope he avoids the ko he should take it on points then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

patmac wrote: »
    Every decent boxer knows it's the one gram of crabs that makes them scratch of the excess weight!
    Go on Bernard, hope he avoids the ko he should take it on points then.

Ye wouldn't know what you;d catch in Thailand......:p

Poonsawat take four attempts to make 122lb and Dunne nail 121.8lb first time of askin!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭duagre

http://www.boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=584039

change of opponent for Hyland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Dunne points win
    I reckon dunne on points

but nobody has mentioned that dunne looked a lot more powerful than usual against cordoba. I expect that strength will have improved since then again. Wouldn't be surprised with another dunne ko'd although I feel it'll be a points decision.
    It was between 10.40 and 10.50 pm. I would expect a similar time on the 26th

didn't actually start till 11 - 11.15

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Dunne points win
    PK was definately very tight at the weight, was at the weigh in and you could actually see him trying to clear his lungs and then holding his breath to try and make the weight... looked at one stage that he might have to go commando!!

And man he has a set of ears that a hooker (the rugby type lol) would be proud of, he looks like he came out the worst of fight with a pit bull with them ears!!!!

Just checking the odds and Dunnes odds seem to be drifting, on bet365 you can get Dunne at 16-1 for a KO in rds 7-9 or 10-12, this effectively works out at 8-1 for a dunne stoppage in the second half of the fight. now when you consider that he has had a great camp and is stronger than the cordoba fight its gonna attract some of my €€€€€€

alan, what was the time between weigh in 1 and when he actually made the weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Poonsawat points win
    I reckon dunne on points

but nobody has mentioned that dunne looked a lot more powerful than usual against cordoba. I expect that strength will have improved since then again. Wouldn't be surprised with another dunne ko'd although I feel it'll be a points decision.

it would be some achievement considering the Thai has never been knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Dunne points win
    alan, what was the time between weigh in 1 and when he actually made the weight?

there was none. some people are confusing this issue and making it a big deal when there wasnt much of a hoo ha. When he stepped up first time it looked like he was bang on but id say the scales were tipping just over by a solitary ounce but settled on 8-10. Just to be sure Mel Christie asked him to step off for a few seconds and step straight back on, he done this 3-4 times so he was obviously right bang on the limit.... no big deal and he didnt look drained. Hes solid alright but not as defined in his upper body as martinez was and while dunne is that bit taller and skinnier, dunnes muscle definition looks pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

any pictures ?

courtesy of rte

not much difference between 2

Poonsawat points win
    God, Macklin is after gettin the ball rolling. Cant wait for the fight. I decided not to bet against dunne, good odd on PK, but it didn seem right standing infront of a counter in paddy powers, going against one of our own for the sake of a bit of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

What would be the plan now for these 2 felas tonight? Go home and eat as much as they can? Dinner Box in Silvios for Dunne!:P

Dusty87 wrote: »
    God, Macklin is after gettin the ball rolling. Cant wait for the fight. I decided not to bet against dunne, good odd on PK, but it didn seem right standing infront of a counter in paddy powers, going against one of our own for the sake of a bit of money!

If ye want to ye can get one of the mods to change your vote in the poll :) youre nearly there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BDF

Dunne points win
    Dunne V Poonsawat Weigh In Clip -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIT1pnq2ufE

Dunne looks in very good shape.

Can someone post a picture of Bernard at the Voronin weigh in - they were posted before - I'm sure Bernard looks in much better shape now than then, and that was feather if I 'm not mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Dunne looks like he is making the wieght properly these days. Back in the day his appearence was of a guy who was starved.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭bamboozler

Poonsawat points win
    Can someone post a picture of Bernard at the Voronin weigh in - they were posted before - I'm sure Bernard looks in much better shape now than then, and that was feather if I 'm not mistaken

picture here

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/176359/5000/

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Dunne points win
    Some good clips of this guy on youtube. Looks a real good boxer, very powerful and has a nice tight stance, but I think Dunne will ride the wave of the crowd and get through it. A very tough test all the same.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement