Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Bernard Dunne v Poonsawat Kratingdaengym thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Guys if you want real honest commentary go to Eurosport,
    RTE, SKY and ITV are just hometown fighter hype machines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Poonsawat points win
    feb09 wrote: »
    how much money did dunne get for this fight ?

about a 1000 hunky dorys:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Dunne points win
    fryup wrote: »
    about a 1000 hunky dorys:cool:

least they will last longer than he did in the fight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Hello all, first time post.
    Big boxing fan here and i really have to give Dunne the utmost respect after tonight, Ireland doesn't have many top level fighters, in fact they're a rare thing but this lad gave us one of the best nights of all time in March and unfortuantly he came up against a lad who is a step above him tonight.
    Poon knew Dunne couldn't hurt him and he started to step up the pressure in the second and landed a great left in the 3rd to end it, Dunne showed huge balls to get up from it as he was gone at that stage. Even if Dunne tried to jab and move all night he wouldn't have managed it as Poon was very strong with great stamina and anyone who watched his fight with Cordoba could see this.
    I can see Dunne being European champion again and beating some lads in the top 10 but as soon as he comes up against real power than he falls short.
    Top man though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Poonsawat points win
    feb09 wrote: »
    how much money did dunne get for this fight ?

Small money. I think the total combined purse was 130k. Not sure what the % each were to get. Take your expenses for training camp, manager, living away etc. Does not leave a great deal. From that video that rte shown he does not live like a typical world champ. Nice modest family home, driving a ford mondeo, hopefully he has saved away what little he earned through brian peters promotions

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Small money. I think the total combined purse was 130k. Not sure what the % each were to get. Take your expenses for training camp, manager, living away etc. Does not leave a great deal. From that video that rte shown he does not live like a typical world champ. Nice modest family home, driving a ford mondeo, hopefully he has saved away what little he earned through brian peters promotions

I think he was offeres a purse of 150,000 to fight Munroe after the Cordoba fight but he would of had to give up his belt to fight him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Dunne points win
    Fuk it. Its tough on the poor chap. At least he gave it a lash. Good man Bernard. You've nothing to be ashamed of.

Crotchety wrote: »
    There's a new joke doing the rounds now on the mobiles.

Bernard Dunne probably won't win the title again but as long as he doesn't hang himself he'll be OK.

I was thinking that one of these would crop up especially with his fight being so soon after the death.

Thanks for posting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BDF

Dunne points win
    Poor Bernard, he has nothing to be ashamed of. He gave it a go but a big puncher was always going to be his worst nightmare. That Thai was a ****ing beast I reckon I'd get knocked out if Poonsawat just walked past me!

Andy Lee was right, at least Dunne fought the best, he didn't run from or duck anyone.

What now for Dunne though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Poonsawat points win

Bernard Dunne probably won't win the title again but as long as he doesn't hang himself he'll be OK.

I was thinking that one of these would crop up especially with his fight being so soon after the death.

not nice:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Poonsawat points win
    peanuthead wrote: »
    not nice:mad:

I know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Poonsawat points win

Why would you post such a disgusting thing on here? :mad:

Poonsawat points win
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Why would you post such a disgusting thing on here? :mad:

I was just saying it was doing the rounds. It's not nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Poonsawat points win
    I know. :rolleyes:

why post it then? And take your roll eyes back thanks :rolleyes:

Poonsawat points win
    It's doing the rounds that's it. Stop asking me constantly why I posted it. I explained why. I suppose it bore some relevance to the topic in discussion. But anyway...

Poonsawat points win
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Im not going to turn this into an MMA/Boxing debate, but in MMA it's VERY rare to have an Unbeaten Champion. Everyone loses and in THAT sport, it's accepted that you can come back and be stronger next time!

But in Boxing, why are fans and pundits so quick to end boxer's careers?

I watched Amir Khan get destroyed by Bredis Prescott and Jim Watt said his career was OVER!! The guy was 20 (or 21) at the time!

It's madness if you ask me!
    They are not quick to end their careers. Examples

Muhammed Ali
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Evander Holyfield
    Lennox Lewis
    Oscar de la Hoya
    Bernard Hopkins
    Roy Jones jr.

I could go on but I think you get my drift.

Poonsawat points win
    I was just saying it was doing the rounds. It's not nice though.
    You are better to keep some things to yourself. You have lost my respect on here immediately for posting that. :mad:

Poonsawat points win
    You are better to keep some things to yourself. You have lost my respect on here immediately for posting that. :mad:

Sorry. Will I be forgiven? I shall leave now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Other - no contest, draw, technical draw etc
    Just back from the O2, thought Bernard did Ok in the first two rounds, keeping the Thai at bay ,however he needed that discipline for ten more rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

They are not quick to end their careers. Examples

Muhammed Ali
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Evander Holyfield
    Lennox Lewis
    Oscar de la Hoya
    Bernard Hopkins
    Roy Jones jr.

I could go on but I think you get my drift.

Lets just take a step back and imagine how misplaced the name of Bernard Dunne would be on that list.. He's finished. Next stop RTE pundit along with Andy Lee who also used to be a great white hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

Poonsawat points win
    Chriscl1 wrote: »
    From that video that rte shown he does not live like a typical world champ. Nice modest family home, driving a ford mondeo, hopefully he has saved away what little he earned through brian peters promotions

I was thinking the exact same thing. Poonwat's whole life is boxing. While boxing only plays a part of Dunne's life. Thats not to say he doesn't respect boxing or he doesn't train hard, it's just that he clearly has other commitments.
    They could have redone the fight a thousand times and the outcome would have been the same. Dunne wasn't ready. Poonwat was ready to fight two Dunnes

Poonsawat points win
    Oh and Jimmy McGee is a laughing stock. He is so unbelieveably biased. It's like he can only see Bernard's punches, to the point that he didn't even see the first punch that downed Dunne. Absolutely insane. Wouldn't have him commenting on a bare fist fight, let alone an international event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Poonsawat points win
    LOL at the 30+ people voting for a Poonsawat knockout in the poll after the fight ended, it was 151 votes when the fight finished and a Dunne points victory was in the lead

Poonsawat points win
    dedon wrote: »
    Jimmy McGee was a disgrace again tonight. He is a legend but he days as a boxing commentator are up. He total missed all of the major punches and rambled on a bout how many names he had.

Absolute joke again dame the last fight!!

For god sake man we are not interested in your Google exploits.

Hard luck Bernard!

Jimmy McGee is a perfect example of a man full of facts but really hasn't a notion. He is like your school guidance councilor- useless

Liamario wrote: »
    Jimmy McGee is a perfect example of a man full of facts but really hasn't a notion. He is like your school guidance councilor- useless

spot on.. best analogy i have heard all month..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

He is like your school guidance councilor- useless

It really is amazing how useless those ***** are, isn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 getthegarglein

It's doing the rounds that's it. Stop asking me constantly why I posted it. I explained why. I suppose it bore some relevance to the topic in discussion. But anyway...

ur either a prick, or stupid, or both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Felt sorry for Bernard. Got absolutely nailed in the 3rd round by the thai. To be honest I didnt see it coming. I thought he matched the thai in the first 2 rounds and then he was finished in the 3rd round. I thought the extra physical training he was doing would stand out, but it didnt. The Irish media have a part to blame also. They talked up Dunne to a level that he felt himself he was invinicible, a dangerous thing to do in sport.

Poonsawat points win
    Lets just take a step back and imagine how misplaced the name of Bernard Dunne would be on that list.. He's finished. Next stop RTE pundit along with Andy Lee who also used to be a great white hope.
    I was not comparing Bernard Dunne to them, they were some of the best pound for pound boxers of all time.

He would belong on this list though

Kelly Pavlik
    Kendall Holt
    Steve Molitor
    Amir Khan
    Matthew Macklin
    Jeff Lacy

All the above are still boxing. Saying he is finished is so ridiculous, he can come back. He has to have discipline in the ring though and stick to his game plan, he can outbox most guys from the outside, unfortunately his chin will alway be suspect. His stamina has been an issue but that can be improved.

Dunne will comeback I have no doubt, he will have one or two cherry pick bouts before a challenge at a WBA. A fractious title but a title nontheless. I think he should retire. He'll never lift a belt again IMO so he'd be much better advised to get another way of income from the sport besides stepping in the ring. He gave up a huge amount of effort and even credibility for a paltry pot tonight. Fair enough he had a go and started well but he got found out. There aint no hiding place in that game, I think his manager knows it too. Another build up to get let down? We don't need it just for the sake of our entertainment. Every time I have seen him on chat shows etc he has come across as a proper Irish bloke, with common sense, humility and bottom line a family man. If he tries again and fails thats his legacy. Time to move on Irish boxing fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've seen Dunne fight 3 times - first time, he went down faster than a Bangcok hooker.

2nd time, he wobbled, but kept going & fought a brilliant fight.

Tonight, he was pathetic. Again.

Not worthy of a world title - all mouth, no action.

Plus, next time he metions Hunky F*cking Dorys, I'll deck the pint sized waste of space.

Move on Dunne, your time is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Reginald - can understand why you're sayin that, but if every sportsperson retired after losing a major bout/match/game, where'd we be, who'd be left?

ShaneU - was thinkin that2.

anyone notice how long the Thai fella was swinging the flag at the ropes constantly from moment poonsawat entered til the beginning of irish anthem, then from anthem til first round. seemed ominous in a strange way...

I've seen Dunne fight 3 times - first time, he went down faster than a Bangcok hooker.

Plus, next time he metions Hunky F*cking Dorys, I'll deck the pint sized waste of space.

Some beauties on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Boooourns wrote: »
    Some beauties on this site.

Love you too babe. ;)

makl wrote: »
    Reginald - can understand why you're sayin that, but if every sportsperson retired after losing a major bout/match/game, where'd we be, who'd be left?

ShaneU - was thinkin that2.

anyone notice how long the Thai fella was swinging the flag at the ropes constantly from moment poonsawat entered til the beginning of irish anthem, then from anthem til first round. seemed ominous in a strange way...

But we aint talking about every sportsperson. Harrington didnt beat Woods last few times, there's no way he shoud retire, cos he has plenty more in the tank at the top level. Dunne doesn't, he's not blessed with that amount of talent. Hard work and committment only goes so far. It's not comparing like with like. Too easy to use that argument.

Love you too babe. ;)

That explains it.

Poonsawat points win
    But we aint talking about every sportsperson. Harrington didnt beat Woods last few times, there's no way he shoud retire, cos he has plenty more in the tank at the top level. Dunne doesn't, he's not blessed with that amount of talent. Hard work and committment only goes so far. It's not comparing like with like. Too easy to use that argument.
    You are just a troll imo. You quoted a post where I responded to somebody and mentioned that Dunne didn't belong in that company. I agreed with you and was never intending to put him in that company but I listed a number of boxers who he would compare you, but you just don't bother to respond to that and move on still talking the same shíte.

Poonsawat points win

Keyboard warriors are a waste of space and thats what you are. If you wish to say something like that, lets have your name and address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Poonsawat points win
    yep.
    it figures those mocking him for this loss are those who rarely post on here. i suspect they've never stepped into a boxing ring either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Poonsawat points win
    F*cking joke all those slagging him off on here. As always this country attracts the the casual event junkie irish fan who loves to watch on tv and who is an expert of boxing after the event.

bernard is the best we have. Bernard you will be forever a world champ, I admit I doubted your chin but I will never doubt your heart and i like everyone saw your wife cry on the apron.

Bernard, you are part of irish sporting folklore by being world champ. You gave irish boxing fans something to shout about for the first time in a long time. Thank you for that great time. you are by no means finished. regroup and go after Israel Vasquez bernard. Offer him a payday and bring him to dublin.

You did so much for the pro game in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

Jayob10 wrote: »
    F*cking joke all those slagging him off on here. As always this country attracts the the casual event junkie irish fan who loves to watch on tv and who is an expert of boxing after the event.

bernard is the best we have. Bernard you will be forever a world champ, I admit I doubted your chin but I will never doubt your heart and i like everyone saw your wife cry on the apron.

Bernard, you are part of irish sporting folklore by being world champ. You gave irish boxing fans something to shout about for the first time in a long time. Thank you for that great time. you are by no means finished. regroup and go after Israel Vasquez bernard. Offer him a payday and bring him to dublin.

You did so much for the pro game in Ireland
    i agree with everythng you said apart from this,Bernard you will be forever a world champ.
    get over it,he got bet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 srynelo

Dunne's DONE mate!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 srynelo

Skills wise? Bernard has them without a doubt!!!!
    Heart? No question ( Cordoba fight!!! )
    Intelligence ? Need more work here....and soon he'll be back
    again!!!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Dunne KO win
    it looked like Bernard went against his coaches wishes(din't stick to the plan)
    Made a mistake ,got dragged in and lost the fight In my opinion will be almost impossible to get back after this.Having said that I hope that I'm wrong because the guy has a fighter's
    heart

Go on Bernard We need you back!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Poonsawat points win
    Bernard Dunne.... It was sad to see him loose. Regardless of our views he is an irish sportsman. Its people with attitude and talk like him that makes the sport popular. Lets face it Chris Eubank was a showman more than a boxer thats why we knew of him.

It was sad to see Bernard Dunne loose. It has been a bad week for boxing with the Death of Darren and the loss by Barnard.

I though Jimmy a good commentator but I much prefere Barry McG

Anyway that all being said. It annoys the hell out of me that these games only last 3 rounds or so. Nothing beats a good boxing match. Although I would not last 2min in the ring so I will leave it to the experts to comment on the time.

srynelo wrote: »
    Dunne's DONE mate!!!!

The brains were not passed down in your family,thats for sure.

TROLL

IDIOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes watched the fight two times now. Think Dunne if he makes a comeback needs to move up a weight. The two opponents who have beaten him seem a lot more bulked up than him. And from second round onwards could sense Dunne's opponent was giving him trouble. Dunne maybe should have made more use of the ring. Allowed his opponent to get too close to him. And once that first punch landed, Dunne's body language was all wrong. He was struggling after that.
    Yes think Dunne needs to take time out now. He has won the world title which is a wonderful achievement but boxing a very unforgiving sport. Dont think he has that much left to prove. He fulfilled his ambition and who knows what another beating would do to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jan_kowalski

I was thinking the exact same thing. Poonwat's whole life is boxing. While boxing only plays a part of Dunne's life. Thats not to say he doesn't respect boxing or he doesn't train hard, it's just that he clearly has other commitments.
    They could have redone the fight a thousand times and the outcome would have been the same. Dunne wasn't ready. Poonwat was ready to fight two Dunnes

And I think what you said here gives an essence of these fighters.
    I read some backround of Thai fella and he is bit on the mental side.
    He doesn't lead social life like Dunne. His life is fight and some prayers during breaks.
    He is like wild animal in the cage trained for fight. I don't think Dunne did bad job, he was just unlucky to get that beast, I think there is no boxer in the world that can stand the chance with Poonsawat now. Sheer power and speed and INCREDIBLE mental efficiency. But now comes the question, how to fight such boxer? You'd have to be mad too with no other things in life than fighting I suppose.

Good stuff Dunne, as there wouldn't be any fighter available who would have knocked Thai beast last night from what I seen. Impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Poonsawat felt him out for the first round.
    Realized Dunne had no chance of hurting him at all. Dunne just does not have a decent punch. Its great for keeping someone at bay if they are afraid of getting hurt, but is never going to knock you out unless you are knackered. Poonsawat just figured out it there was no risk to being hit by Dunne at that point. It wouldnt hurt him.

Poonsawat realized that and just walked up to him. There was no fear of being hurt there, to keep him at a distance. It was all over then. Dunnes weak chin did the rest.

Kiko did the exact same thing. Just walked straight through Dunnes weak offence. Realized there was absolutely no way Dunne was knocking you out while you are fresh. So why not just go for him and just ignore Dunnes punches. Only difference is that Kiko got lucky with the first punch and then it was all over.

There is a future for Dunne. Hes great at TV. I think thats where hes headed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement