Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL & Cisco EPC2425 router

• 31-08-2009 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

just got the NTL broadband express offering installed today - so far so good - however there is zero docs with the router. I've managed to login and change the default password, however there is an 'advanced' tab - which seems to have a completely separate username/pass.

Any ideas on what is in this tab, and what the user/pass is?

Very tempted just to turn off wireless and run through existing routers (had a second with tomato for acting as a relay).

Thanks for any info you guys can provide

Comments

I haven't managed to get into that advanced tab. I also had problems trying to disable the wireless and using my own router (ZyXEL NBG-460N).

After much frustration I changed the mode on my router to be an access point and I've been using it like that. I'm going to try to get the bog-standard modem from NTL as I am not too impressed with the all-in-one solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭quiche

Nice one - cheers :)

Good to have the manual (particularly the 1st link). Strangely though it dosn't talk about the advanced tab (I think...) - so that might be a restricted area for the cable company or something...

Anyways nearly all options you'd want seem accessible so that's cool, cheers again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Any of you know if the epc2425 supports bridging between the ports ? - I've two pc's plugged in but no matter what I try they cant see each other ?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I talked to UPC about this yesterday.
    The advanced tab is really to do with the phone (voip) system that they offer.
    If you're looking for port forwarding etc. that's in the setup tab, under the heading of advanced settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

what are the default username and passwords to get into the setup tab?
    Don't *think* I set one. (although I may have)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

to get into the advanced tab, which is pointless, as everything is disabled, the UN is admin and the pass is W2402

and there is more to it than VOIP, UPC just doesnt want you messing with QOS and line stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    to get into the advanced tab, which is pointless, as everything is disabled, the UN is admin and the pass is W2402

and there is more to it than VOIP, UPC just doesnt want you messing with QOS and line stats.
    that's the same password as on the old scientific atlanta modems they used to do as well.

only slightly more secure than a certain bank I used to do support for who has blank admin passwords on all their laptops. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Did any of you ever manage to turn the Cisco into a straight forward pass-thru only device to your normal routers?

Trying to do that now and it looks like it could be a pain.....

I didn't and I ended up getting a normal modem from UPC after much grovelling and hassle. They provisioned the modem for me and I'm using it with my own router. It was made clear that they really really didn't want to do that for me though and you might have a hard time going down that road yourself.

• Advertisement

Thanks baz8080,

I've been in contact with the guy who installed the newer router and he seems sound and has said he'll pop out to put the older epc2203 one in for me.

Is there anything I'm overlooking by "downgrading"? I have a fab router (Draytek 2820vn) and the newer Cisco router is just getting in the way, but I also don't want to do something stupid like limit myself in a couple of months due to picking the wrong equipment from UPC.

It appears to be Docsis 2.0 compliant. It should be grand for 30Mb or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Speed_Tables

NTL offer a maximum of 20Mb at the moment and that's due to be upgraded to 30Mb soon so you should be grand really.

Was reading the same page only seconds ago too! Came to the same conclusion. Thanks for the speedy reply though!

Advertisement