Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Impressions of Orientation Thread

• 31-08-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start this to discuss our experience of UL from our orientation and what we thought of the course meetings etc

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cool, let her run.:)

I'd prefer if UL members of staff weren't mentioned or directly referred to, both for legal reasons and board policy (in other words, don't do that). Talking about your orientation guide is fine as long as we don't know who that guide was (there is a facility for giving feedback on guides directly to student affairs, I don't know what that procedure is as I forgot to ask but when I know I'll let you all know). But commenting on how people find the week is cool and quite a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Post removed because Sceptre has said that my orientation is "ancient history". I have no idea how he'd describe his one. Back in the day. Day one, that is.

I could be wrong but I reckon the lads were thinking something more current affairs than ancient history:p

Yes, yes, I know but you don't see me writing about it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

As well as all the forms, CAO offer, medical questionaire etc, do you need to bring anything else to orientation? e.g pen/paper for useful info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Does anyone know what time you have to be there for day 2 of orientation and would it be really important or could you give it a miss?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

As far as I know, it's 1pm in the University Concert Hall. It is something that's pretty important, because if you don't go, you may not get really valuable info that could impact how you spend your time in UL.
    I went last year and thought it was good craic. I would advise you strongly to go to it.

On another orientation related note, a crowd of first years came up to me last night outside the Stables and asked me if I had anymore spare condoms or did I throw them all out to other newbies. Strange.

Just wanted to know as my knee is annoying me. It's in a brace (you might have seen me doing a weird hop thing when going down stairs.) I had enough walking around today and want to try and keep it alright until I get it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

I get ya. Still, it'll be a bit of fun and you'll learn a good bit about the SU, more that what I waffled on about today. It really is up to you.
    It's a bit like a lecture; No one is going to make you go, but you'll miss out if you don't go. I'd say Ergo and Ninty9er would say the same.
    How was your day One anyway?

It was grand. Went around the place and everyone was pretty helpful. Can't wait for it to start properly and once I get the hang of lectures and so on I'd say I'll really enjoy my time in UL.

Only thing was my course were the last to enroll today (Business with French) so I was hanging around a lot. But I met some new people and some people in my course so it was fine.

Yeah, a pretty good day. Doing BBS with French and now feel a lot more relaxed about college now.

Fair play to you SU guys, you've a good set up there!

• Advertisement

Risteard wrote: »
    Only thing was my course were the last to enroll today (Business with French) so I was hanging around a lot.
    Indeed. Business & Japanese were supposed to be last but I got bumped up in the queue by about two hours:pac: Must have been a bit stretched out for you and the weather didn't help but at least the queuing is over.

sceptre wrote: »
    Indeed. Business & Japanese were supposed to be last but I got bumped up in the queue by about two hours:pac: Must have been a bit stretched out for you and the weather didn't help but at least the queuing is over.

Yes, thankfully. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

jkeire wrote: »
    It's a bit like a lecture; No one is going to make you go, but you'll miss out if you don't go. I'd say Ergo and Ninty9er would say the same.

Indeed I would say the same. If your knee is really sore then don't go. You will learn some valuable stuff about the Students' Union, as well as about gigs and Clubs & Socs. You might get some free stuff too...

If you don't want to be standing long I'd recommend getting into the Foundation Building early and finding a seat outside (there's a café in there). Then once you go inside you'll be sitting for about an hour again.

At the same time, if your knee is really at you you can call into the SU early next week and I'll be happy to fill you in on what you missed! Hope you feel better soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

My Tour Guide was a legend, sure he didn't know much about the place but it was great craic anyway.

Also, not sure if this is the right place but I'm assuming if you can't make the second day of Orientation you can still sign up to clubs&societies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Yep. There's a huge Clubs&Socs Recruitment Fair in the arena next Wednesday from 6pm - 9pm. It's a great chance to talk to people involved in the different clubs and socs and to decide which one you want to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

feckin fire alarm went off during course meeting and we had to clear out. caused delays The weeks shopping sorted though , free pot noodle and free condom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

will there be tables all around the arena for all the different clubs and socs or whats the story with this recuitment drive night?????

also i know this is a bit off topic but i never got to see the runnings of the library and im just wondering can i just walk straight in and use the computers or do i hav to go get permission from someone???

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

Those who missed their day2.. didnt miss much. Next Weds is the real day for clubs and societies Id say. Orientation was fine. I was with nice enough people, the guide was sound. All good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

croker1 wrote: »
    will there be tables all around the arena for all the different clubs and socs or whats the story with this recuitment drive night?????

also i know this is a bit off topic but i never got to see the runnings of the library and im just wondering can i just walk straight in and use the computers or do i hav to go get permission from someone???

Its exactly that. They have stalls/tables and plenty of people to ask questions and even some clubs demonstrate (I remember the fencing one last year).

You should be able to just walk straight in and use them, you'll spot the queue infront of you when you go in the front doors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Treetirty wrote: »
    My Tour Guide was a legend, sure he didn't know much about the place but it was great craic anyway.

Also, not sure if this is the right place but I'm assuming if you can't make the second day of Orientation you can still sign up to clubs&societies?

Was this a short blondie fella who just before the Advisor meeting started cracking jokes?

My impression was disappointing. :(

My tour guide was lovely, my classmates all grand, some handy stuff learnt about the runnings of the Students Union and whatnot and enjoyed the roaring speech during the Welcome Session about the Fees but overall, I found it a bit pointless :(

It was essentially walking around places in the campus I already know in the soaking rain for a few hours. Then the advisor meeting was basically "You'll find out in the next few weeks" and the Language Orientation and Course Meeting was just basically reading through the webpage of our course. 7 hours for a timetable basically.

Now mind you, I probably tainted that myself. I had my Debs last night, felt I had to stay for Orientation, left at 4.45 and got home for 6.20 of which I then had 30 minutes to get ready so maybe I'm looking at it all the wrong way! :pac:

Can't get back up for today though so will make a big effort at the clubs and soc thing on Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I found it all a bit pointless too if I'm honest. Our tour guide was a bit of a div, it was just, in here, sign the book so I get paid, out again!

The speeches were boring, except for Ruán's which was a welcome change. I wished I had taken my housemates advice of not going in until 10! A lot of waiting and hanging around too. Queuing for the photos was horrible too, but I guess it has to be done.

Day 1 was definitely not near as important as I expected it to be. All we got was a print out from the website as well!

Day 2 was class however. The speeches from all of the members of the SU were all funny and informative and it was really good. Then I did some of the activities from the clubs and socs which were really good too.

So I guess it's the students that bring out the best in College life and I'm looking forward to being part of the clubs and socs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Oh my god.
    Enrolment was traumatic! It was all go go GO staple, sign, queue, move,
    Photos went terribly. :( yer man didn't tell me when he took the picture so no smiles! just a serial killer look! :confused:

SU communications officer giving boards.ie the bigup during her speech today.

concert hall was fairly empty to day , suppose being a friday and all people went home after the day one part of orientation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

My ID photo is awful... worse then the one I had 6 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

Ah it wasn't so bad for me.

Friendly people doing the tour, only downside was the rain! :(

The enrollment was alot shorter than what I experienced before so thumbs up for me!

It was too much information packed into too little time. They could have done some of the tour on the second day as the Student Union events didn't start until one. all that tour **** went in one ear and out the other

all I can remember is where the main building is, and where the schuman building is. I know there is a computer lab known as "the fishtank" and we bassed it, but couldn't tell you where the hell it is. Also passed the medical centre, a glass door down a narrow corridor in one of the buildings, but, again, have no idea where it is now. Also, you have to press the button marked B (which I would assume means basement) to get to the ground floor in the foundation building. and press the button marked G to get to the first floor.

Registration was quick enough. the online thing meant that i motored through it.

They gave us timetables yesterday with some of the lectures missing on it, SAA fcuked up.

Personally I think they should have spread the orientation over five days, with elective lectures and the ability to select your choices before the end of week zero.

the weather was manky as well, am on the third umbrella in the space of a week. The site for picking your electives doesn't work properly.

and don't get me started on the requirement of a consultants letter for access to disibility services. twelve month waiting list to see a consultant at limerick regional hospital. would be as well off to take out a loan and buy the ****ing adaptive equipment myself. and tell them to shove what they are offering.

actually in relation to the last bit, I may go private and raid the student assistant fund with the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

concert hall was fairly empty to day , suppose being a friday and all people went home after the day one part of orientation.

we were all very hungover!!! :p sorry

speeches were very good .. gardai speech was best very helpful and informative

one more thing, Ultimate frisbie was highlight of my week :D:D brilliant craic with the lads hu were involved in organising it

cant wait for monday

bbs with french class is mainly women :D me and thomond2006 were the only fellas on our tour. great start . havent met risteard yet tho but theres plenty time for that

Mallox wrote: »
    we were all very hungover!!! :p sorry

speeches were very good .. gardai speech was best very helpful and informative

one more thing, Ultimate frisbie was highlight of my week :D:D brilliant craic with the lads hu were involved in organising it

cant wait for monday

bbs with french class is mainly women :D me and thomond2006 were the only fellas on our tour. great start . havent met risteard yet tho but theres plenty time for that

Were ye in the group that when ye came into the French class there was already a group in there? I was down in the front row.

Were ye in the group that when ye came into the French class there was already a group in there? I was down in the front row.
    ya i was the guy hu went to brittany ha i felt like a fool .. did u see the blackboard said "the chamber of secrets has beeen opened" haha i was laughing at that for ages

• Advertisement

Yeah I was wondering what the hell that was. He asked me the first question, I thought he asked was I french not did I ever go to France. Either way the answer was 'non.'

Yeah I was wondering what the hell that was. He asked me the first question, I thought he asked was I french not did I ever go to France. Either way the answer was 'non.'
    haha ya i know he rambled on for a while in french an i was totally lost .. cant wait now for economics monday :D my fave subject ... besides french of course :P

Never did Economics, more into the Accounting side myself. Only one lecture on Monday, pretty good.

never did accounting but lookin forward to it.. i love economics :D .. here i need my sleep im pretty hungover oops ha talk cha monday dude :D nite

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

SU communications officer giving boards.ie the bigup during her speech today.

Ya i've been told there were much less people there today than the other day 2's. Oh well i had a good time anyway, way better than day one. The activities afterwards were great!

Knights of Leon in the stables last night were excellent! :D

Mallox wrote: »

Yeah, Mal, that was class. I was pretty **** though. :p I was fairly shagged after it, the place was so hot.

Yeah, that was us.

Sure I'll see you on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

snazzy wrote: »
    Was this a short blondie fella who just before the Advisor meeting started cracking jokes?

My impression was disappointing. :(
    He was a short and ginger/blonde I think. But he didn't really tell jokes he was just hilariously bad as a guide but good craic all the same.

Advertisement