Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Docu "If Lynch had invaded" 9.35 pm RTE 1. Tomorrow night 1/09/09.

• 31-08-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

At 9pm on August 13, 1969, the Taoiseach Jack Lynch made a dramatic television broadcast on RTÉ which outlined his government's response to the outbreak of violence in Derry the day before with the 'Battle of the Bogside'. The crisis marked the greatest challenge to his political career as Lynch declared that "the Irish government can no longer stand by and see innocent people injured and perhaps worse". As part of the Hidden History series, this 90-minute documentary examines in forensic historical detail the story of how Lynch and his government dealt with the crisis, explores the tensions within his cabinet over the issue of military intervention in the North and asks what might have been the consequences had the Irish Defence Forces actually crossed the border.

Not sure should I have put this in Politics or not. Thoughts......I for one am looking forward to seeing this, seems that it was defo on the table at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I thought it was tonight and that I missed it:o

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

'History' magazine did a piece on the period in this months (i think..) issue.

the Irish Army (COS) reckoned they could of taken and held Newry for between 24 and 48 hours, assuming there was resistance from the British units in the area.

that was it.

Advertisement