Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy Policy Poll

Options
  • 31-08-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Does anyone find Boards.ie like Big Brother - all PM communications are moderated - this is outrageous - why call it Private Messaging when it's not - how can PMs expose Board.ie to any litigation?

There is no way to communicate via email with members - what's this about?

So what's behind this policy & how many here object to it?

I've searched this site for info on this but didn't find any

Boards.ie Privacy Policy feedback 29 votes

Do you agree with the forum Privacy policy?
    0% 0 votes
    Do you NOT agree with the Privacy policy?
    37% 11 votes
    Do you not care about it?
    24% 7 votes
    Would you like to know more?
    37% 11 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I didn't even know PMs were moderated.

Shit :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Private messages aren't moderated and not even the admins can see them unless they are reported (usually for being abusive/spam).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nice poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I doubt the moderators have any interest in 99.999% of the ****e in PM's. What the hell are you worried about?

Also its a private site, you agreed to the terms by joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

before sending someone a PM on boards I swap One-time pad data with them in real life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dear OP

Im sending you this PM to let you know i agree with you

Dr Bollocko is a fag. Its all his fault

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Where did you get this 'breaking news' from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

orestes wrote: »
    Private messages aren't moderated and not even the admins can see them unless they are reported (usually for being abusive/spam).

Cheers Oreo (since when are you not a mod?!)

I didn't think I'd ever saw anything about PMs being moderated, but then again, I am slow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

didnt know that PMs are moderated ..... has it always been like that ?

meh ... its like saying that CCTV is an invasion of privacy....only if you are doing wrong then the system can catch you.... I disagree with your claim that its an invasion of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is so not the forum for this. but let me vote before you throw this thread where I cant follow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Im so confused :( all your poll answers are questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Even if they were moderated...

1) why send sensitive info to a random stranger?
    2) oh, they're not a random stranger? Then get another form of contact going (email, phonecall, text, and god forbid, maybe meet in person)
    3) Why would mods spend their day reading PMs when they've enough ****e threads to close?

EDIT: lol at multiple choice poll, vote spoilt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If only there was some way out of having to obey the rules and charter of a privately owned and run forum site..

Oh.. oh wait there is..

Go elsewhere!!

brummytom wrote: »
    Cheers Oreo (since when are you not a mod?!)

I didn't think I'd ever saw anything about PMs being moderated, but then again, I am slow

No worries dude (I stepped down as a mod during the week btw)
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    didnt know that PMs are moderated

They aren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

orestes wrote: »

That's a relief.

My PMs are so full of aphorisms, scandal and bon mots that it must be killing the majority of moderators that they can't have as much as a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Who cares anyway. I got nothing to hide:P

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jocko4 wrote: »
    Does anyone find Boards.ie like Big Brother - all PM communications are moderated - this is outrageous - why call it Private Messaging when it's not - how can PMs expose Board.ie to any litigation?
    Ask Hullabaloo.
    There is no way to communicate via email with members - what's this about?
    Ask Regi. I think..
    So what's behind this policy
    Ask DeV or Cloud
    & how many here object to it?
    I dont know, youre hiding the poll results.
    I've searched this site for info on this but didn't find any
    You agreed to it when you signed up. Its also at the very bottom of every page on the website, via the Privacy Statement link.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Of course PMs on the site aren't moderated, they're pre-moderated, which basically means boards has three bald birds in a pool put the idea for the damn things in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Overheal wrote: »
    Ask Hullabaloo.

Ask Regi. I think..

Ask DeV or Cloud I dont know, youre hiding the poll results.

You agreed to it when you signed up. Its also at the very bottom of every page on the website, via the Privacy Statement link.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

so... its true !!! :P

(Personally ... I dont care - my PM box is full of rubbish)

Overheal wrote: »
    Ask DeV or Cloud I dont know, youre hiding the poll results.

I'm not voting i this poll since the subject matter is completely wrong, but if that is true the ironing is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It was Earth all along?

The cake is a lie?

There is no spoon?

Wow. Really didn't care about that coz I've nothing to hide........do YOU OP? Hmm? A little skeleton in your outbox? Eh? Yes? Hmm?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from after hours. PMs aren't moderated. If you report a pm then the admins will see the report and the pm content apart from this no mod/admin will see. You can send others here emails if they choose to have it shown in their profile but not everyone wants their email to be made public so their email won' be shown by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The poll results are hidden??

Is that because of privacy?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jocko4

Ok, wow, I didn't expect this many replies - first off I'm willing to be wrong about this (as an ex-moderator says I am) - can we get confirmation from the mods that PMs are not monitored?

Why is there no email allowed in the usercp?

I kept the results hidden so as not to influence those answering the poll - I'll unhide it in a few days - this is my first poll so a bit green

I joined but that's a stupid answer - I want to know how compliant we all are?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ok, wow, I didn't expect this many replies - first off I'm willing to be wrong about this (as an ex-moderator says I am) - can we get confirmation from the mods that PMs are not monitored?

Why is there no email allowed in the usercp?

I kept the results hidden so as not to influence those answering the poll - I'll unhide it in a few days - this is my first poll so a bit green

I joined but that's a stupid answer - I want to know how compliant we all are?
    If you go to this page (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editprofile) you can enter all manner of off site communication methods. e.g. skype, twitter, facebook, msn, aim, google chat. Fill those in and anyone on the site can see them and use them to contact you.

I could have sworn you could enter in an email but that doesn't seem to be the case.

OK, it seems I was wrong about this - emails are in usercp - lets close the thread.

No, I don't have a lot to hide but I bet your not all squeeky clean either!

Edit: Does anyone know how I can reveal the poll results?

Unless there has been a drastic change in the abilities of mods (not to mention in site policy and the privacy agreements/regulations every user signed up to when they registered here) in the 2 days since I have stood down as mod, then no, they can't. Not even the admins can unless the user who recieved the pm reports it, and the admins alone will see it in that case. The only pms any mod can see on here are there own.

Almight Cushion is a cat-mod and he has said the same thing.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Who cares anyway. I got nothing to hide:P

you're no fun. i got lots to hide

.. lots

Can I explain now why I came to this erroneous, it seems, conclusion - I PM'd a OP of a thread that was closed & commiserated with him but also offered to talk about it further via email (He sounded mature, I hope he didn't think I was grooming him :)). If he reported this then he's some cuckoo so I assumed the post was intercepted as I got a warning from the mods & no reply from the intended recipient! What would you think?

• Advertisement

Can I explain now why I came to this erroneous, it seems, conclusion - I PM'd a OP of a thread that was closed & commiserated with him but also offered to talk about it further via email (He sounded mature, I hope he didn't think I was grooming him :)). If he reported this then he's some cuckoo so I assumed the post was intercepted as I got a warning from the mods & no reply from the intended recipient! What would you think?

what did the warning say?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement