Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy Policy Poll

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jocko4

Here's the warning:
    Reason:
    Breach of Peace

The prohibition of discussion of relating to ****** and how to circumvent the restrictions they put in place is not limited to just the forums, but also visitor messages and all other parts of the site.

Don't do it again

I substituted the asterisks for the text that was there!
    The wording of this suggested to me that it was being monitored! Correct me if I'm wrong here!

Edit: Here'a an idea for you - why don't I send the same message to one of you & you agree not to report it & let's see if I get banned. Of course I won't be able to post that fact back here!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jocko4 wrote: »
    Here's the warning:

The wording of this suggested to me that it was being monitored! Correct me if I'm wrong here!
    That looks like it was because of a visitor message. Those are completely different to private messages as they are visible on your profile to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Here's the warning:

dont think that was a pm, just a visitor message on their profile page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

/major facepalm

jocko4 to clear this up, your pm wasn't intercepted - you never sent one. You mistakenly posted a visitor message on a users profile (which is visible to all members here) asking about something which is illegal.
    You then got a slap on the wrist by an admin for it.

If I were you I'd stop trying to make a fuss about it and learn the difference between a pm and a visitor message.

Details here (mods only)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can I explain now why I came to this erroneous, it seems, conclusion - I PM'd a OP of a thread that was closed & commiserated with him but also offered to talk about it further via email (He sounded mature, I hope he didn't think I was grooming him :)). If he reported this then he's some cuckoo so I assumed the post was intercepted as I got a warning from the mods & no reply from the intended recipient! What would you think?

I assume the person you PM'd forwarded on the PM to the mod in question, unless it was an admin that warned you about it. Sometimes I get PM's forwarded on to me from people that post on the poker forum, but I always tell them to report the PM and an admin will deal with it if necessary as it is not something mods deal with.

To reiterare what orestes and BigComfyCushion said, we (or admins) cannot see PM's. The DBA type admins could if they really wanted to, as everything has to be stored on a DB, but that is something they never do. There was a big thread in the mods forum a while back about this very subject as some mods (myself included) assumed admins (there are less than 20 of them) could see everyones PM's, and it was explained that this most certainly was not the case.

Edit: lol. Visitor messages can be confusing for new posters I guess, but as said above, they are public domain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Steve wrote: »
    Details here (mods only)

I almost clicked on that out of habit :o

OK that clears it all up now - I must have posted a visitor's message, doh! & then got my knickers in a twist - end of topic!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

orestes wrote: »
    I almost clicked on that out of habit :o
    You'll be back :P

G'luck in the real world you'll be missed :D

Yes, Steve, what's that mods only link about? See I'm just annoyingly inquisitive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Yes, Steve, what's that mods only link about? See I'm just annoyingly inquisitive :D

Going at a guess it would be the link to the reported Private Message thread in the moderator forum. Reported visitor messages come up in the regular mod forum, same as all reported posts, since they are in the public domain. Reprted private message threads go into the admin only forum.

• Advertisement

It's a link to the report I sent about your message. I happened to see it when I was viewing the recipient's profile for an unrelated matter.

Sorry Steve, I don't understand what you are saying - I might be thick or losing it :confused:

Sorry Steve, I don't understand what you are saying - I might be thick or losing it :confused:

Steve reported your visitor message about set-top boxes, the link is to the reported post explaining why he reported it. It's visible to mods only.

I was looking at the users profile where you left the message - I saw it was against site rules so I reported it (by pressing the 'report message' link)

I was looking at their profile because of another matter, nothing to do with you.

OK, so that clears it up further - you were the one that reported the vistor's message. That explains a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

To clear up.
    PM cannot be read by us Admins unless you report them to us.

If you wish to adjust your profile privacy towards other users you can do so here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=privacy

The privacy statement is in the footer of all pages within boards: http://www.boards.ie/privacy.php

/fin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement