Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SIGMA 24-70 f/2.8 Lens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Another thread was going about that lens here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055635986

with lots of input about it.

I think if you can wait and save the money for the branded one its worth it. I had the Sigma 24-70 and sold it very quickly, flare, noisy, poor focusing. The image quality was ok. I upgraded to the Nikon version and I can see why its worth the extra money. Thats just my opinion though. Like the other thread has said, soe people are very happy with theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I didnt have the 2.8 but I did get a sigma and also sold it on very very quickly, in fact within a couple of weeks. I now use a tamron which I love but if budget allowed I would be more onclined to go with the nikon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i had one of these, the one thing i couldnt get used to wasthe focus and zoom were the opposite way round to other lenes i had used

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

aye havent heard much good bout this lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have the Canon fit one. Its my walk around lens and is the one that lives on the camera most of the time. For the money its a good lens in that zoom, but nowhere near as good as the Canon L version. Then again, its nowhere near as expensive either ;)

My gripes would be its a bit softer than the L, and the focus isn't as fast. It's a matter of economics though :)

Edit: that's the HSM, I have this one actually, which was a good bit cheaper... not at all sure about yours. You could get the canon L in HK for about 200 extra? I think I'd be going for that TBH - try http://keaphoto.com/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=392&category_id=18 for example

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the newest sigma 24-70mm f2.8 is supposed to be better than canons version. It was released early this year. the previous sigma 24-70's werent too great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Wasn't it Ryan who use that lens and swore by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarahcon

Thanks for the replies, I suppose if I can afford to buy a Canon lens now I should rather than buying the sigma lens and having to upgrade next year anyway.
    Would a 24-70 the best all round lens for portraits and weddings etc? This one for example?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/31998/art/canon/lens-24-70-f-2-8-l-usm-fo.html
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Like the previous posters my friend had that lens and was not that impressed. Would love to upgrade my kit a bit but simply cant afford what Canon lens cost. Has anyone used the Sigma 17-70 f2.8? Is it worth the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

Sara, for only a few quid extra....okay it's 200-300 extra but you get a Canon L 24-70.
    these lenses are built well, feel good and most importantly produce the best images.

I usually bought sigmas but decided I may aswel get L lenses now rather than later....
    I have a 70-200m IS f/2.8 Canon.....worth every penny, from ebay for €1370.

24-70 is versatile, and especially at 70mm for portraits, nice bokeh. So yes good for weddings and portraits.....but at this price range I thought you'd know what yer looking for ;)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-CANON-EF-24-70mm-f-2-8L-USM-LENS-24-70-mm_W0QQitemZ380146308642QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item58827c5622&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sarahcon

Thanks for all the replies, decided to go with the Canon L lens, and save myself upgrading next year!

Advertisement