Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleas or Skin Allergy?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I adopted an (approx) 18 month old female rescue black lab five weeks ago. She was neutered,chipped, vaccinated, wormed etc by the vet in the rescue centre before we took her home.
    However, in the past two weeks or so she has started to scratch herself more and more. She doesn't seem to have fleas, we've checked her coat extensively and don't notice anything ourselves. I was wondering if maybe it could be the dog food we are feeding her? We have her on Hill's Science Plan for the past month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

Pups and dogs can normally get skin allergies...like exema (cant spell it). You should take her to the vet and they will check her over and most likely give you an anti biotic or shampoo for her. I wouldn worry to much but it can irrate her so get it checked. Best of Luck xx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It'd be best to get her checked out. While it could be something minor, it could also be the early stages of mange or another skin allergy/disease. Better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

My own dog suffers excema from time to time but it makes his skin go scaly so it is quite noticable and easy to diagnoise.

There have been many people with similar problems. My theory has been right with quite a few when saying it is an allergy to plants, grass seed, hod weed, fox glove or some other plant.

This time of year is typical to get these reactions.

Advertisement