Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should a good domain name sell for?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am interested in buying a domain name for a business website I am setting up and was just wondering what the average price would be for a domain which comes up 5th or 6th in a related Google search?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brianLiverpool

is it a registered or unregistered domain name your looking for? Domain names that are already registered but are for sale can cost an awful lot of money (these domain names would already have been ranked before). However, depending on the type of domain extension you are after all the prices are different e.g .com = €8 etc. You will need to pick a good and unique name for your domain name if you want it ranked top. Search engines give high ranking to keywords in a domain name e.g i type in google dublin earthquake and have a domain name www.dublinearthquake.ie - this should be ranked number one. Also you need to have good website content.

I can provide a company i register my domain name from. Just let me know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

foggyyeah wrote: »
    I am interested in buying a domain name for a business website I am setting up and was just wondering what the average price would be for a domain which comes up 5th or 6th in a related Google search?

It doesnt work like that, you cant buy your place on googles search listing for different prices. Also having a particular domain name does not gaurentee you position or mean you will have number one as the posted above said. Positioning comes down to the domain name and the content on the site, with the latter playing a huge part. Look up the term SEO which will explain about keywords in your content and meta tags. The work is in the website and its content, thats how you get highly ranked on google, but it depends on the competition, if you are in a niche market then you wont have as many sites in the same set of search results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you have a good domain ranking will be considerably easier:

http://www.memorabledomains.co.uk/seo-generic-domains.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It really depends on the domain. Personally I go for great domains rather than Google ranking, as you can build up the ranking over time.

For example, I just bought Empleomadrid.es which is the Spanish equivalent of Madridjobs.es. It was a bit more expensive than buying a domain which already ranks, but long term it is a much better investment as it's a great domain.

Advertisement