Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting time to get overdraft?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey does anyone know how long it would take for a new bank to give you an overdraft after you first set up a new current account with them? Say if you were asking for an OD of 500-1000?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It depends, you'd need to have a regular income and make sure the account is operating well. I'd ideally like to see 6 months of good account operation before a first overdraft, however if you've had your account elsewhere before moving to your current bank, if you give them statements on your old account they could take those into consideration. Best bet is ring your branch and see do they think it's worth applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks for reply Toots. I already have an overdraft with my own bank, but I thought I'd be better off having a couple of current accounts with an overdraft on each, (I'm not talking massive money :)) - just enough for a safety net and to then have no need at all for a credit card. I'm just going to open another account now, and apply then after a couple of months.

Advertisement