Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euan (C&C)

• 01-09-2009 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Right.. *deep breath*

I'm sure you're all sick of seeing my baby portraits popping up in the random thread, but there's a reason - I'm playing with the idea of advertising to photograph children and babies. If it worked and I got a couple of calls, yay, experience. If it catches on and I got more than a couple, double yay. Also, there is no such a service offered in our locality.

So I'm putting up pics for critique from now on. I'd say be gentle, but I want honestly. It's easy to convince yourself that your work is good enough to charge for when it's your own kids.

Here goes nothing..

25FE5E6C64C24369BEAE344D9A23F226-500.jpg

97717F0E54A2456CAF92081C268506B9-500.jpg

5060DC080BF84498810CF699B684F53E-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I am propably not experienced enough to offer C&C as in addition I am not really into studio photography, but if that was my baby I would buy at least #2 & #3. In #1 he's too much in his own world for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fuzzywuzzy1

This is my first time to offer c&c. As a wannabe photographer and mother to a two year old, I love no. 2 & 3. I'm not keen on photos of babies in nappies for some reason (even my own) and I don't like the idea of the tie around the baby's neck. I love the natural expression in no. 2 & 3 and in particular I love the catchlight in the baby's eys in no 3. Well done on having the courage to post your pics for c&c. Hopefully some day I'll be able to :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

aye. 2 and 3 are lovely, slightly flat bw conversion... but maybe thats what ya anted, not my personal taste. also in 1, the nappy distracts, maybe pants or not to sound inappropriate, nude would work better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I like them. Great looking baby with great expressions. The black and white conversions look fine to me. Love the props. Work really well here. I'd like to see a bit of eye contact with the camera. Who ever is playing with(attracting) Euan should do so with the aim of getting his attention towards the camera. Maybe by playing peek-aboo from behind the photog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

if that was my kid, I'd buy all three of them. Absolutely beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I like 2 and 3. But these shots would be so much better if you can get the baby to look at the camera and also like Oshead I like the B and W conversion and the props too, great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Folks, thanks for the feedback.

For those of you who think the nappy distracts, I agree.. I've been looking for plain nappies, no decal, I think that'd be better. If anyone knows of any, please share. If I do go down the route of shooting other people's kids, I'll buy terry cloth nappies or nappy covers. I don't mind nude baby rear shots, but I wouldn't do the front unless the parent asked. I wouldn't want it for my kids, we'll say.

Melekalikimaka (sp? :)), you do have a point about the flat b&w conversion, you're not the first person to point it out (I am lucky enough to have a husband with a good eye who'll give honest c&c). It's the first time I didn't use a lightroom preset to start with, so I'm still very much learning here.

Thanks again, peoples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Quackles wrote: »
    Folks, thanks for the feedback.

For those of you who think the nappy distracts, I agree.. I've been looking for plain nappies, no decal, I think that'd be better. If anyone knows of any, please share. If I do go down the route of shooting other people's kids, I'll buy terry cloth nappies or nappy covers. I don't mind nude baby rear shots, but I wouldn't do the front unless the parent asked. I wouldn't want it for my kids, we'll say.

!

Well for a plainer nappy I think the lidl ones are quite plain. I never used them as my kids were sensitive but my sister in law did and as far as I recall they are just plain white with a small band at the front. Terry cloth would be much better, or even just an old style nappy pant, you know the type that you would but over a girls nappy if her dress was short, you can still get them in the old style clothing shops, there is one just off Henry street, is it called Liffey street, not sure, by arnotts side door.

I love them honestly, having spent a while doing child shots it is very hard to get a child to react like this, espcially if they are not your child. I would like a little more interaction with the camera rather than the person entertaining at the side, like what I said in another c&c thread try get the parent to stand above you, i.e. if you are on your hunkers, that way at least the child os looking in your direction. I also used to use a musical barney toy and hold it with one hand right beside the lens, this would engage the younger babies and it would be almost like they were looking directly at the lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Great expressions on 2 and 3 . You've clearly got a knack for this as I know from past experience that babies don't make easy subjects.
    I'd say though that in general these type of photos work best with lots of light, catching the eyes etc. Your's are just a wee bit dark.

Thanks folks. I need to work on getting the subjects to look at me. Also on getting someone else's kids to practise on, because it would be so much more difficult than my own.

The nappies in lidl have a fairly dark blue design all over them, I'd tried them :) I think the nappy cover job sounds best, need to find a shop around here that does them. And does neutral ones!

All this advice is pure gold, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My girlfriends reaction was 'awhh look!'...

She'd have bought 2 & 3 as well (I'm a cheapskate, I'd have tried to copy them :p)... good luck with the new business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I think the nappy cover job sounds best, need to find a shop around here that does them. And does neutral ones!

All this advice is pure gold, thanks again.

If I come across any I'll grab them for ya, they're only cheap anyway. Oh and a lot of school uniform shops are those oldy kinda shops so they may have them, where I get my kids uniforms is a mens shop though so they wont have them.

If I come across any I'll grab them for ya, they're only cheap anyway. Oh and a lot of school uniform shops are those oldy kinda shops so they may have them, where I get my kids uniforms is a mens shop though so they wont have them.

Actually, there is a shop like that in Sligo, does cot sheets and things like that, so should probably have them - will give it a shot :) Thanks!

Sleepy wrote: »
    My girlfriends reaction was 'awhh look!'...

She'd have bought 2 & 3 as well (I'm a cheapskate, I'd have tried to copy them :p)... good luck with the new business!

So what you're saying is big, obtrusive watermark on my proofs? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

So what you're saying is big, obtrusive watermark on my proofs? :D
    Sorry for the resurrection...

What I'd meant was I'd try to replicate the shots with the same model and my own camera ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The other alternative is mount the camera on a tripod and fire remotely and that way you can interact better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I like them. For #1 I would have got down lower. #2 and #3 would be really great if he was looking at you. It's very hard to get a baby really smiling at you if the mother is in the room trying to get them to smile as the baby or child is almost always looking at them. It's worth warning them of that beforehand. I don't mind the baby being absorbed in something and not looking at the camera for all shots but it's great if you can get one. Sometimes the easiest one to get is one where you're directly above them and they're looking straight up at you. For older children a fart machine is invaluable :D
    You can get knitted nappy covers on Etsy or if you know anyone who knits they aren't that hard to make. Also have a look at http://keriannebrown.com/. I adore her stuff!
    Best of luck with your venture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

For those of you who think the nappy distracts,

A suit pants ? you know that look of kids in suits but just have him in the suit pants + hat n tie ?

Really nice shots, wish I had something like that of me when I was small instead of the ones hanging on the wall at home... makes me gringe everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I think they are all excellent, but unlike most number one stands out as both really good and a bit different.:pac:

My first multiquote, I'm so proud :pac:
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Sorry for the resurrection...

What I'd meant was I'd try to replicate the shots with the same model and my own camera ;)

Aaaah.. I said the same, but I still nearly bankrupted myself when the older fella graduated playschool!
    Borderfox wrote: »
    The other alternative is mount the camera on a tripod and fire remotely and that way you can interact better.

I have to try this - at the moment, I only have a wired remote, must get a wireless one. Also have to try the waving toys around approach. It's getting harder, because my model can crawl now, so being able to get away from the camera would be much better.
    I like them. For #1 I would have got down lower. #2 and #3 would be really great if he was looking at you. It's very hard to get a baby really smiling at you if the mother is in the room trying to get them to smile as the baby or child is almost always looking at them. It's worth warning them of that beforehand. I don't mind the baby being absorbed in something and not looking at the camera for all shots but it's great if you can get one. Sometimes the easiest one to get is one where you're directly above them and they're looking straight up at you. For older children a fart machine is invaluable :D
    You can get knitted nappy covers on Etsy or if you know anyone who knits they aren't that hard to make. Also have a look at http://keriannebrown.com/. I adore her stuff!
    Best of luck with your venture!

Oooh lovely.. the tiny baby photos make me clucky, my husband won't thank you :)
    Chorcai wrote: »
    A suit pants ? you know that look of kids in suits but just have him in the suit pants + hat n tie ?

Really nice shots, wish I had something like that of me when I was small instead of the ones hanging on the wall at home... makes me gringe everytime.

I dont think I'd be in to the suit pants alone, but maybe the pants and a shirt.. We all have the cheesy childhood portraits. I had two pigtails til I was 24 or something like that ;)
    Covey wrote: »
    I think they are all excellent, but unlike most number one stands out as both really good and a bit different.:pac:

Thanks, I love no. 1, too.. I like that he's in his own little world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Can't add much C&C as most of it's covered. Just wanted to say I really love these shots. Original, fun and makes you smile. I could see this style selling quite well.

Super work Deirdre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I had a similar crisis of faith with my own children's photos. Be the best and be unapologetic!

Advertisement