Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racists in the confederate states at it again...

• 01-09-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Only this time with a twist;
    After 35 years, next Atlanta mayor could be white

The city that became a post-civil rights movement emblem of the political power held by African-Americans could have a white mayor for the first time in a generation - a possibility that has some in the black community scrambling to hold on to City Hall.
    Atlanta Councilwoman Mary Norwood, who is white, is one of the front-runners for the Nov. 3 election, along with City Council President Lisa Borders and state Sen. Kasim Reed, both of whom are black.
    In addition, blacks may no longer feel obligated to elect a black mayor, said William Boone, a political science professor at Clark Atlanta University and co-author of the racially-charged e-mail.
    "You have a young generation of blacks - not native to Atlanta - who don't necessarily see that as something that has to happen," Boone said. "They may be staking their vote on matters more critical than race."
    In the memo, Boone and Keith Jennings - also a political science professor at Clark Atlanta - urge black voters to rally behind Borders, whose grandfather desegregated the city's police force and who was recently endorsed by the city's black clergy, to prevent a runoff that could hand Norwood a victory.
    The incendiary and widely circulated e-mail sent in late August to black Atlantans specifically noted Norwood's race.
    "Time is of the essence because in order to defeat a Norwood (white) mayoral candidacy we have to get out now and work in a manner to defeat her without a runoff, and the key is a significant Black turnout in the general election," the message sent by the Black Leadership Forum reads.
    "There is an unstated assumption that having a black mayor in Atlanta is equal to having a black social, economic and political agenda or at least someone in office who would be sensitive to that agenda if not a full promoter of that agenda ... A black agenda would better enable us to have our interests respected by and our influence realized in any administration."

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7401&eeid=6785748&_sitecat=1522&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=-2&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt&l=hm

Delicious irony.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

They should be more worried that it's a woman being touted than anything else tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

themont85 wrote: »
    They should be more worried that it's a woman being touted than anything else tbh.

They probably just wanted someone to clean up the city. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

As long as there's no lynching, intimidation etc. involved, I see no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

spillit67 wrote: »

While I don't see what is exactly delicious about the irony...I would rather say perharps it is time they see that political office should be for the most qualified and shouldn't be based on historical or sentimental factors.It is Atlanta today..it could be Boston tomorrow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Meh. It's not as cool as The Wire. Carcetti for mayor. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Governor ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Yeah, only a moron would vote a woman into a position of power... :rolleyes:

Racism works both ways. Same for other -ism's. Sometimes I just wish people would realise this rather than assuming that because someone is somehow *different*, it makes them more right than boring people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Dartz wrote: »
    Yeah, only a moron would vote a woman into a position of power... :rolleyes:

Racism works both ways. Same for other -ism's. Sometimes I just wish people would realise this rather than assuming that because someone is somehow *different*, it makes them more right than boring people.

Aside from the gender issue which obviousely is a major concern to myself, the lack of condemnation of these actions from the Rev Jesse Jackson, I thought he was emperor of black people(well thats what he told Randy Marsh anyway).

themont85 wrote: »
    Aside from the gender issue which obviousely is a major concern to myself, the lack of condemnation of these actions from the Rev Jesse Jackson, I thought he was emperor of black people(well thats what he told Randy Marsh anyway).

??????...dude are you knackered ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

procure11 wrote: »
    ??????...dude are you knackered ?

??????...dude ever see that South Park episode?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Apparently racism is ok when the victim is white.

Equality my arse.

Apparently racism is ok when the victim is white.

Equality my arse.

Well said...but there wouldn't be any need for this discussion if not for ???....I,ll leave it.

Advertisement