Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1911 Online Census.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

eh.......zoom??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LOL - note the emphatic double-swipe of the pen through the profession/occupation column for Sinead DeValera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I think it would depend on the census taker.
    One of the forms handwriting is sooooo bad it looks just like mine. That has to be genetics.

One of my greatgrandmothers kept Roscommon people as domestic slaves. :eek:

Were there any red lights on the old homestead at all?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Does anyone know where you can look at a a census from a later year? I don't even know the names of my parents' grandparents so I can't look them up on the 1911 one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

no the next census was not taken until 1926.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

How many years have to pass before a census can be made public?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

100 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

This means that the 1926 census records will be open to the public by the National Archives in the year 2026. By that time almost all of the persons covered in the 1926 census will be deceased. Although there was demand for a shorter period it was considered that 100 years was necessary to comply with the spirit of confidentiality promised to respondents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If it's 100 years before a census can be released Why do we have the 1911 census then????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Found my mother's side, they were all Irish speakers which is cool.

My father's side doesn't exist apparently lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Found my granny, aged 0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

wonder did anyone back then fill in their religion as jedi...

if they did that would be ****in class! and strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Newjellyboxer

Really is very addictive stuff. I have been able to tell what type of house my great grandmother lived in and the farm they had as they were the only house on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

So weird. My brother was looking around on this site and found loads of stuff. Our mother's great grandmother's sister died young and then our mother's great grandmother married her sister's widower decades later. No one knew of this man they both married, what he did or anything, no one even knew his first name. My mam kept digging and eventually found out all about him and by some stroke of luck somebody else had posted a photo of him on another site. Amazing stuff really.

My brother posted about it here. Crazy stuff really. http://www.irishelection.com/2009/09/1911-census-online-have-a-dig/

He also got his name wrong, his name is Thomas, not Billy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure these forms were filled in by people going from house to house. I don't think it was the homeowners themselves.

I've been looking at census information from 1901 and 1911 over the Summer for work and a lot of the forms have the same handwriting.

According to wikipedia:
    The census information was recorded on the following forms:
    Form A, which was completed by the head of family
    Forms B1, B2, and N, which were completed by the census enumerator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Ireland,_1911

So yes it is their handwriting. Form A is the main one that lists everyone in their house, their religion etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

bluto63 wrote: »
    Interesting, on the left of the page, it says to write in Irish if you can only spek Irish, English & Irish if you can speak both, or leave blank if otherwise. So back then was there not many people who could only speak English?

I think it was just assumed that everyone could speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Found my mothers family, 2 of her aunts are still alive as well, one is 103 and the other 101...mental:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Mad stuff alright. Just came across the Artane Industrial school's return there, 410 pupils and about 10 teachers :eek: And the teachers form is filled out in the auld Irish script.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Drumcondra_Rural/Artaine_South/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My great-grand father was a magistrate, coroner and a GP (busy guy) ...
    That wouldn't have been considered a strange mix, coroners would ideally need both medical and legal knowledge to some level, magistrates were appointed from "upright members of the community". Both magistrate and coroner were very part-time posts (apart from RMs).
    I found an entry which has a Landed Gentry type couple in their 60's with a guest. Religon is listed as "brethren" and under the guests amount of children he has "don't know". :p
    That would be Plymouth Brethern, and it would probably have been considered bad form for the householder to ask the guest if he didn't already know.
    coyle wrote: »
    I thought that a lot of the handwriting looks the same alright, but mother of jaysus, that'd be a labour-intensive way of doing it wouldnt it? Maybe they all just had similar writing back in the day?!

Actually i just checked a couple of returns, and the signature of the Head of the Family is the same as the actual writing on the form.
    Many householders wouldn't have been able to write, so the enumerator would have been required to fill out their forms too.
    I think it was just assumed that everyone could speak English.
    No, a fair number in 1911 wouldn't have been able to speak English, at least fluently, and the further west (in general) you went, the more that would have been true.

It's more because the census was then being run by an English government, so "speaks English" would have been seen as the default option from their point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Jaysus, whats that all about?! unless they filled out the wrong form or somethin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Jaysus, whats that all about?! unless they filled out the wrong form or somethin!

It does say it's a Reformatory school...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

They were probably Magdalene Laundries. Sometimes they put children in there when they ran out of room in the orphanages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Was Just going over the cenus with my father and he remembers all the names but misplaced a few names:p, tis very good, my great grandparents on my mothers side had 9 kids and only 4 of them survived:( and on my fathers my gret gandparents side were 11 kids and 9 survived:(, does make me very proud looking over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

Mine was a bit depressing mostly farm labourers and domestic servants. A few cannot reads and two Irish onlies. Even the farmers were extremely poor. There seems to have been a big transformation between 1911 and the second world war.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

All mine were read and write only and all were Farmers, up ya boyo:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

My Grandfather was 6, and he was a Scholer. The family had 3 servants, now we have none, bring back slavery.

Advertisement