Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you fail a repeat?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I have an essay and an exam to repeat in September. What happens if I fail one or both of them? Will I have to repeat the year or is it possible to repeat the assignment or/and the exam again?

I don't think I'll fail but I have been quite stressed at the moment and knowing that failing these is not the end of the world (i.e. repeating the year and having to pay fees/rent etc for another unnecessary period of time) would provide me with a certain amount of relief.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

It depends on the subject. You might be allowed to proceed to the next year but have to carry the subject so you'd resit it again with your exams next year. But if the subject is considered critical to being able to do the next year then you may have to repeat the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

As BC said, if its a core subject of the course, then usually they won't let you carry it into next year but if you fail 1 or maybe 2 other subjects they may let you carry it (i'm not sure if you have to get over 35% or not though, but i have heard this).
    Otherwise you will have to either repeat the year (paying a large fee) or repeat externally (paying a small fee), meaning you just re-sit the exams when they are on again but have no use of the colleges facilities except the library if you pay a bit extra

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

And how would you go about finding out if your subject is critical or not, if you did end up failing an exam? Is it a face to face meeting or do they automatically send you a letter telling you the situation?

Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

You should enquire with the course coordinator to find out if it's a core exam but you can usually tell, like programming will be a core subject to computing or computer science type courses whereas management won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

What happens if you fail one core subject. Can you still fill in a personal circumstances form if it is a repeat? Does anyone know how specific you have to be on these forms? I do have a legitimate problem but I'd really rather not let my lecturers know what the situation is.

• Advertisement

What happens if you fail one core subject. Can you still fill in a personal circumstances form if it is a repeat? Does anyone know how specific you have to be on these forms? I do have a legitimate problem but I'd really rather not let my lecturers know what the situation is.

Your lecturers won't know AFAIK. I believe it's really just for the head of your schools eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

Hmmm.. I'd still rather nobody knew! And quite frankly I'd be afraid my time in the college would be affected because of it. I guess I'll just have to hope I pass!

Hmmm.. I'd still rather nobody knew! And quite frankly I'd be afraid my time in the college would be affected because of it. I guess I'll just have to hope I pass!

I think in the years of existence DIT has managed to survive, any personal issues are par for the course.

If yours is that bad, just imagine the crap people will be making up!

Advertisement