Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner home brew question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

Hi all,

I am new to the brewing and would like to buy a smallish (10L) brewing bucekt/barrel with the tap at the bottm. Does anyone know where I can get one in Dublin?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Short answer: You can't.

Long answer: if you are looking for a fermentor, the 23litre ones are quite reasonable or, if you really want a 10l plastic bucket, try asking nicely at a deli. They may give you one of the buckets which came with bulk mayonnaise or ketchup in it. No tap though.

If you are looking for a 10l pressure barrel for serving, the UK is your only option with HopshopUK.com doing one for £26 and hopandgrape.co.uk doing one for £27. I should mention that the 23litre ones are either the same price, or £1 more and the prices do not include shipping.

Short answer: You can't.

Long answer: if you are looking for a fermentor, the 23litre ones are quite reasonable or, if you really want a 10l plastic bucket, try asking nicely at a deli. They may give you one of the buckets which came with bulk mayonnaise or ketchup in it. No tap though.

If you are looking for a 10l pressure barrel for serving, the UK is your only option with HopshopUK.com doing one for £26 and hopandgrape.co.uk doing one for £27. I should mention that the 23litre ones are either the same price, or £1 more and the prices do not include shipping.

Thanks a lot Guildofevil,

Is there a shop in Dublin where they sell the 23L?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

No bricks and mortar shop in Dublin, I'm afraid. IrishCraftBrewer.com has a list of on-line suppliers though. Have you got all the other bits and pieces you will need? You might be better off getting a starter kit, if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

theres a few good online shops and deliver next day . ive had no probs with them so far.

also, have cider fermenting in 2o ltr demijohn. i have an airlock on it and one end of tube going into bottle of water. i have never seen any bubble come through ?? wonder if anything could be wrong. seal is tight.

the fact that the tank is only half full of apple juice may this be the prob?/

thanks.

• Advertisement

No bricks and mortar shop in Dublin, I'm afraid. IrishCraftBrewer.com has a list of on-line suppliers though. Have you got all the other bits and pieces you will need? You might be better off getting a starter kit, if you don't.

I have ordered the champagne yeast online and hopefully it is coming soon. Is there any onther major ingredent in the cider. I thought I just need an apple juice (approx. 10L -20L) and yeast to ferment it and a container for that. Is there anything else I should need to make a cider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

MGLman wrote: »
    I have ordered the champagne yeast online and hopefully it is coming soon. Is there any onther major ingredent in the cider. I thought I just need an apple juice (approx. 10L -20L) and yeast to ferment it and a container for that. Is there anything else I should need to make a cider.

Time:D

Juice ,yeast and a fermenter is all you really need.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

also, have cider fermenting in 2o ltr demijohn. i have an airlock on it and one end of tube going into bottle of water. i have never seen any bubble come through ?? wonder if anything could be wrong. seal is tight.
    Is the room warm enough for fermentation to be happening? Checking the gravity for changes is the only way you can be sure whether fermentation is happening or not.

Advertisement