Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Mills Leader Puppy

Options
  • 01-09-2009 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I am getting a puppy in less then two weeks and I might try feeding her this food, does anyone have the ingredients? On the site it has the ingredient analysis but I am looking for the actual ingredients. Also, anyone know roughly how much it costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hey guys,
    I am getting a puppy in less then two weeks and I might try feeding her this food, does anyone have the ingredients? On the site it has the ingredient analysis but I am looking for the actual ingredients. Also, anyone know roughly how much it costs?

They are the actual ingredients that are on the site. Manufacturers have to provide a full list under legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you are getting a puppy i would keep it on the food the breeder it has it on for the moment as it might upset it by changing over, you can always change in a few months then if you want to.

Red Mills is roughly about 40 for a 15 kg bag give or take a few quid here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Red Mills don't have the full ingredient list on their website. They have the following analysis on their website for Leader puppy:-

Raw Protein 30.00%, Raw fat 16.00%, Raw fibre 2.00%, Raw ash 9.00%, Moisture Content 10.00%, Minerals, Calcium1.5% Phosphorus 0.85%, Sodium 0.48%, Magnesium 0.09%, Iron 75 mg/kg, Zinc 70 mg/kg, Copper (Sulphate) 25 mg/kg, Selenium 0.2 mg/kg, Vitamin A 10.000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 2.000 iu/kg, Alpha - Tocopherol (Vitamin E) 200 mg/kg, Digestible Energy 16.8 mj/kg

The ingredients for the different Leader products are primarily the same. See below:

Always ensure there is plenty of fresh water available. Full feeding guidelines available on back of bag.
    SOME OF THE MAIN INGREDIENTS USED IN THE RED MILLS LEADER RANGE: Prime Quality Chicken, Herring, Prime Quality Irish Oats, Corn, Corn Extract, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Milk, Dried Whole E gg, Linseed, Natural Chicken Digest, Calcium, Phosphorus,
    Sodium, Potassium Magnesium, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium, Iodine, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocophero l) Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B1 , Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12 Nicotinic Acid, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid,
    Biotin (Vitamin H), L-Carnitine, Betaine, Creatine, Chondroitin, Glucosamine HCL. No added preservatives. Only natural preservatives are used.

I have used Leader puppy in the past and found it OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Redmills is more a food for working dogs because it is very rich in energy, can disagree with some dogs and if they arent very active, could become overweight on it.
    I would recommend Burns dog food, great food, completely natural and reasonably priced too. They do different sized kibbles etc for different dog sizes and pups. (And if you're getting a breed that has skin trouble, Burns would be highly recommended).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I Have to disagree on that about the working dogs, maybe you are confusing it with the grey hound food as they do a range for greyhounds as well.

The leader range is suitable for pets/show dogs. I know a lot of people that feed the leader range to their dogs who arent working so maybe you are confusing the other range of redmills food.

Have a look at their site www.redmills.ie and have a look at their range of dog food they have.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    I Have to disagree on that about the working dogs, maybe you are confusing it with the grey hound food as they do a range for greyhounds as well.

The leader range is suitable for pets/show dogs. I know a lot of people that feed the leader range to their dogs who arent working so maybe you are confusing the other range of redmills food.

Have a look at their site www.redmills.ie and have a look at their range of dog food they have.

I agree with what andreac said on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If the ingredients aren't on the website, they should be on the bag itself. The law states that a manufacturer must list the ingredients (chemical names) on the bag (it's the case for large animal feedstuffs, anyway).

If you're in any doubt about what to feed your puppy you should contact Red Mills as they have nutritionists to advise on what to feed, or your vet.

I had one of my dogs on Leader puppy recently.

There is an ingredient list and a nutrient analysis on the bag. (The analysis was listed in a previous post and can be got from www.redmills.ie )

I cut off the back of one of the puppy bags for future reference. So here is the ingredient list:-

**cereals, meat and animal derivatives, derivatives of vegatable origin, oils and fats, fish and fish derivatives, vegetable protein extracts, milk and milk derivatives, egg and egg derivatives, minerals, fruotc-oligo-sacchardides. Preserved with propionic acid, contains natural antioxidants. **

I have listed the main ingredients in Red Mills Leader in a previous post (which applies to all Leader products.)

I also have a cut off from a bag of Pedigree Complete. The ingredient list is as vague as Red Mills. They don't list all their ingredients exactly either.

So by my reckoning companies don't seem to have to give an exact ingredient list. The only companies I have seen doing this would be the top end companies like Orijen, Arden Grange, etc.

I have read some reports on the web that the reason companies don't give the exact ingredients is that they can mix & match ingredients (within reason) depending on what is available - as long as the nutrient anlysis is OK, it passes. For example "meat and animal derivatives" covers alot, doesn't it? Orijen etc wouldn't do something like this because they are aiming at the high end market.

For an insight into ingredients in dog foods look at http://www.iwsocietyofireland.com/news/petfoodapi.htm

After reading that report, some people might be put off mainstream commercial foods and put their dogs on Orijen or a raw diet.

Red Mills is a mid range dog food and I still think its pretty good for what it is - quality, price, etc. My dogs are doing good on it anyways and I won't be changing.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

My Akita was on red mills leader for puppys since we got him at 8 weeks and loved them, we kept him on them until about a 5 weeks ago and we got him a bag of Orijen from zooplus.ie which he also loved but he seems to go through them quicker so we said for cost and handiness we would put him back onto the red mills leader for puppys again (he's now 7 months old), he now dosent seems to like them at all and if this is linked or not we started him back on them last monday mixing them with the last of the Orijen and on friday he became very sick and threw up a few times and didnt eat friday or saturday for us,on saturday night he ate some mashed up potatoes and bacon for us and that was it.
    We mixed a can of Hill's canned food with the nuts last night and he ate 3/4 of a bowl and then this morning he ate half a bowl mixed with the canned foods.

Could our dog have taken a dislike of the red mills? Or just maybe he's a bit under the weather? Hes in great form yesterday though and full of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Red mills do a different range of dog food. I had my dogs on RedMills PET and it gave them a tonne of energy so I changed to RedMills Star and they are very relaxed now because RedMills Star is for dogs that dont require lots of excersize. I havent tried any of their other dog foods though. But I can get RedMills star 15KG for 16 euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement