Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon eos 7d released

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Is the number 6 evil or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

1.6x crop mmmm nice. I was wondering when I saw it so cheap.. "what did they leave out"

Its got video as well I can see that tempting alot of people!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Built in flash master, new auto-focus system and 8fps will ensure that this camera sells by the bucket load. If it was full frame, I'd consider selling my 5DmkII for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

now if I just had the money I could buy this while in the states :)

Also has a built in horizon level in live view. I'm gonna be a bit jealous of anyone who gets this I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

If its a crop and has 18mp im really curious to see the high ISO pictures, not sure if its a good buy looks a lot of mp for a small sensor but i might be wrong (I hope I'm)

Also its strange they call it 7D to a non full frame camera really cant understand there market way of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

gloobag wrote: »
    Also has a built in horizon level in live view. I'm gonna be a bit jealous of anyone who gets this I think.

WHY? why would you want it, are they just adding it for the sake of something to add...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

yeah i think it's strange the way Canon deals with the naming system, especially it's a APS-C camera... i get the feeling 7D compliments 5DMK2, considering its high speed FPS and crop sensor.. it's like 5DMK2 in the sport and action fields....

if i had to upgrade myself from 40D, i'd still go for a 5DMK2 (purely bcoz i have a lust for a full frame body and 1D series is a bit over my budget)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

it also has a better movie mode:

The EOS 7D features an improved movie function allowing users to record Full HD movies with full manual control and selectable frame rates. The operation of the movie function has been improved to make it easier to use via direct access to settings with dedicated buttons. AF can now be started by either half pressing the shutter button or using the AF-ON button as before.

The exposure of the movie can be controlled in Manual mode allowing full control of shutter speeds and apertures. It is possible to select frame rates from: 30 (29.97), 25, and 24 (23.976), with 60 (59.94) and 50 available at 720p. ISO can be set automatically or manually in the range (100-6400) and is expandable to 12800. EOS 7D also allows users to trim and cut their movies.

The frame rate thing is what us 5DII owners want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

mmm.. Jessops has a pre-order price for 7D going at 1,699 pound ... and 5DMK2 selling at 2,040 pound... that's not much of a gap, only 350 pound... of course one could get them a lot cheaper somewhere else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Im not sure that I would really want video from an slr. No crop would be much better.

trishw78 wrote: »
    WHY? why would you want it, are they just adding it for the sake of something to add...

As someone who shoots a lot of landscapes, I'd consider a virtual spirit level for my horizon lines to be quite a valuable feature.

I think on paper, this camera sounds excellent. If it was a full frame and the image/ISO quality was up to snuff, the wireless flash master feature alone would be enough to sway me.

I think the reason they named it the 7D is because they consider this a pro level camera. Crop sensor or not. Some photogs prefer cropped senors. Sports, wedding and wildlife shooters often prefer the likes of the 40/50D as it gives them more reach (and usually more fps).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I can just see said owner standing there tilting the camera back and forth just to watch the level go different ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

7D sounds good, but was there supposed to be a 60D coming out?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

6 is the number of the devil? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Built in flash master, new auto-focus system and 8fps will ensure that this camera sells by the bucket load. If it was full frame, I'd consider selling my 5DmkII for it.
    Same here.

I'd say we'll still see a 60D, probably soon. Maybe it'll be a "budget" full frame :p With full HD video of course. . .

Ok, maybe just the video then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

got an email from an Irish Canon agent today

Pricing & Availability:
    Guide price €1300 ex VAT.
    For information on availability please contact Image Supply Systems on 01 478 2520
    or email sales@imagesupplysystems.com

if the high iso is good I'd be tempted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it looks to have the same body as the 40D/50D and has a built in flash. Along with the aps-c sensor, I would consider this as an upgrade to this line rather than the 5DMKII.
    Can on also released 2 new ef-s IS lenses, 18-85 and 18-135 and a 100mm F2.8 L IS macro (yummy)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10042-10239

Good review of beta version of 7D, also has some images comparing ISO performance of 7D to 5D mark II

• Advertisement

Gozo wrote: »

Good review of beta version of 7D, also has some images comparing ISO performance of 7D to 5D mark II

Doesn't seem to be up to the standard of the 5DmkII in terms of noise, but still doesn't look too bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

very interesting indeed. I like the remote flash command capabilities, amongst other things

Im not that impressed with the high iso performance so far, tho its good for 18mp but those files have been downsampled anyway

on the Canon 7d USA page they have a 1gb CF card for 84.99!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I can see a lot of 100mm macro lenses going up on Adverts to make way for the Red ring one!!

Spec on the body looks great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

i've seen a few high iso samples 800+, and it doesnt impress me at all. Give me a d300 any day.

Just checked the high ISO and it dont look good, pixel pitch is tiny too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Very handy to have the built in flash. I'd love to play with one for an afternoon!

You could always just buy an Ee-d focusing screen... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

As someone who shoots a lot of landscapes, I'd consider a virtual spirit level for my horizon lines to be quite a valuable feature.

I like shooting landscapes as well but my tripod head has 2 spirit levels and I have an attachable spirit level for the hotshoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

dazftw wrote: »
    1.6x crop mmmm nice. I was wondering when I saw it so cheap.. "what did they leave out"

Its got video as well I can see that tempting alot of people!
    i dont see the point in having video on a picture camera, you want video get a video camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

trishw78 wrote: »
    I like shooting landscapes as well but my tripod head has 2 spirit levels and I have an attachable spirit level for the hotshoe.

Spirit levels are fine but if you can have it built in why to have have extras?
    And a normal spirit level at night might be a struggle as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

i dont see the point in having video on a picture camera, you want video get a video camera.

Doesn't bother me personally, it's a feature I'd like to get more interested in yet wouldn't ever go out and buy a camcorder. Maybe if they had 2 versions with different pricing to satisfy those who would want the camera without video and having to pay extra would do consumers happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I totally agree with you on that! I just see alot of silly people wanting video on one for whatever reason.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Damn,If I didn't have a 1D I'd probably save for one of these,And although I hate the 1.3x crop(due to me not being able to afford a decent telephoto and 200mm being quite short) you can't beat the 1D's build quality...

Oh well,I'll get it as a back up one day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

The 7D is one sweet looking camera with very impressive specs and a reasonable price.

I'm writing my letter to Santa tonight!

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

It does look like a nice camera all right. I'd have to wait to see the genuine reviews of high ISO noise before I add it to my wish list but at the moment if everything is as good as it sounds it could be a nice replacement for my old 40D next year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

dazftw wrote: »
    I totally agree with you on that! I just see alot of silly people wanting video on one for whatever reason.

I'm far from silly, and love having HD video on my camera :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Well to be fair, if you end up with a HD video camera that you can attach professional quality lenses to, as well as a very good quality stills camera, I don't see the downside!

Edit: Oh, and I'll be saving hard after xmas to replace old betsy here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

because you can easily change lenses and also have fantastic depth of field, all in full HD with great low light abilities

the same results can be got with proper professional cameras but to get the same results as the 5DII or 7D can do, you have to spend almost hundreds of thousands if you want all the lens choices.

go watch some of these:
    http://www.cinema5d.com/videolog.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Built in flash master, new auto-focus system and 8fps will ensure that this camera sells by the bucket load.

I think it's going to be a great camera, but the d300 has the specs above and it's 2 years old. Not interested in starting the usual debate, just an observation.

• Advertisement

Read this off an email from Calumet, looking at the results (albeit a beta version) from Rob Galbraith it doesnt hold up

Every feature of the EOS 7D is engineered for active photographers with active subjects. Most importantly: the camera is fast/fast/fast, propelled by dual DIGIC 4 processors. These handle heavy, complex data without skipping a beat: bursts at 8fps, noise reduction at ISO 6400 that looks like DIGIC III's ISO 1600, full speed read and write on UDMA cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

Yet another APS Sensor with too many megapixels.

Canon don't see that 12 Meagpixels is loads for most people, and especaially on an APS sensor. I'd rather 10-12 Megapixels with low noise (D700) than 18 with noise (7D).

They should stop the megapixel marketing crap. ISO 1600 is the same if not worse than my 400D here:

http://ftp.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS_7D_ISO1600_Reggae.jpg

DotOrg wrote: »
    because you can easily change lenses and also have fantastic depth of field, all in full HD with great low light abilities

the same results can be got with proper professional cameras but to get the same results as the 5DII or 7D can do, you have to spend almost hundreds of thousands if you want all the lens choices.

go watch some of these:
    http://www.cinema5d.com/videolog.php

ye not alot of people realise this. consumer hd video cams dont have 'big' sensors, they cant get the same narrow 'film like' DOF as dslr's,
    and adding video to them doesnt really cost extra money. why complain about something when u dont have to use it, its a bonus!

personally Id love hd video on a dslr, Ive always wanted to experiment with 'motion pictures', the more creative posibilites available the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i have Full Motion Video on my G10 - dont use it often but it's nice to have it there just in case an oppertunity does arise, also good for other things like tutorials on anything thats easier to show rather than explain in text or speech.
    I'd say it's a definate bonus to have - wish i had it on my other cameras - i could imagine macro/or wide wide angle could be quite interesting in FMV

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Pint

Looking at it from a photographer's point of view, yeah its not amazing. Definitely some improvements on the current 50D but nothing spectacular minus some of the cool little features like the the 100% viewfinder with new overlays, the built in speedlite control, and I guess the wireless transfer if you used it. FF would have been nice but I can see why they didn't include it, it would destroy 5DmkII sales if they had.

But looking at it from a video standpoint, its pretty awesome. They worked out the major kinks of the 5DmkII, minus the audio gain...ugh. Plus the 1.6 crop is good for video, its basically a Super35 FOV now and full frame video is just weird looking. It can't completely replace a dedicated video camera just yet, but it sure has its appeal.

My GF is going to NY at the end of November, curious if this will be available in B&H and wondering if I should get it to replace my 40D as a backup to my 5D II, reason being is that some gigs I go too literally have sod all light and the 5DII is struggling to focus....I've also heard about the pre flash that comes from a flash?? that might help? (With the 5D II focus)
    Is it worth my while using a 7D for gig shots if the AF and the likes get a good review or is it a step back from the 5D II....
    I don't really do landscapes...I'm also thinking will I even use the 5D II much, when I bought the 5D II I barely ever use the 40D now.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

My GF is going to NY at the end of November, curious if this will be available in B&H and wondering if I should get it to replace my 40D as a backup to my 5D II, reason being is that some gigs I go too literally have sod all light and the 5DII is struggling to focus....I've also heard about the pre flash that comes from a flash?? that might help? (With the 5D II focus)
    Is it worth my while using a 7D for gig shots if the AF and the likes get a good review or is it a step back from the 5D II....
    I don't really do landscapes...I'm also thinking will I even use the 5D II much, when I bought the 5D II I barely ever use the 40D now.

Unless you do sports or nature I don't see the point in upgrading from the 40D. For me it is definitely worth selling the 40D and having the 7D as an addition to the 5DMkII. F
    For those wishing it was a FF. It's not a full frame for a lot of reasons. It's the 1.6 crop that's one of the main positives for me.

On price...it works out at around €1200 in the states. Incredible value.

Ya...think you're agreeing with me lol, selling the 40D probably to a mate for €490.
    7D is def going to be a back up to 5D II....
    If the AF is better for night it will be used a lot.

you could try switching to single auto focus points.
    7d is supposed to have very good autofocus, but they said that about the high iso performance and the sample photos dont show that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

animal rights - just gonna preface this by saying i dont know anything about gig photography and the only flash use i've ever done is on auto flash.

could you buy an external flash for you 5D and just use the little red light thing to help you focus - but not actually use the flash ????? maybe some clever person on here could tell you if thats possible or not. when i use my camera, wiht the 430EX - a little red light comes on my flash to help autofocus - before the flash actually fires. just wonder whether there's some manual flash control that lets you use that to assist in the focusing, but doesn't fire the flash. does that make sense ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement