Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Firmware 3.0

Options
  • 01-09-2009 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

So has anyone gotten the latest firmware update yet? Any impressions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got it this morning, is it just me or are the XMB icons bigger ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've been reading opinions on another forum and the main complaint seems to be that the font size has increased with no option to return it to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The font was too small anyway, looked tiny on a screen <32".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Bad:

Hate the glitter now in the menus, my theme is on default so when i started it up this morning I had the Purple background on with it and I had to squint to see anything, its seriously bad. Changed to blue and it's manageable.

Settings are stupid... Music ---> Adjust settings for music...

No way am paying for that LBP theme, there's a free Afrika one on the Japaneese PSN.

The PS3 logo is gone from start-up (I think my games are frozen for a sec at startup when it dosent show up).

The boxes around the friends list are stupid... why are they there??

Good:
    Fonts are bigger on my 19" screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It looks alright. Nothing I would complain about anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

The only problem that I have with it is the stupid big grey box around everyone on the friends list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Clover wrote: »
    The only problem that I have with it is the stupid big grey box around everyone on the friends list.

Not keen on that myself. I have gotten used to the bigger font, really helps for readability at greater than 6ft away from screen.

My guess would be that the grey box is going to be filled with trophy card space in a future update automatically.

Custom RR/FFW using thumbsticks is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

i have to say its a bit of a fail IMO
    massive font(i aint blind yet)
    no new avatars
    1 free dynamic theme( on jap store)
    useless tv section
    and that stupid grey box around my friends

the only thing thats good is that i can now see the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Gah, there were rumours there'd be a hidden cross chat update, damn you Sony!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Bigger font makes my TV look smaller

*Do not want*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

any one see the options to change audio and sub on content played from the hdd

what is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I can't find any new avatars or themes either...

sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I read up somewhere (and most other sites aswell including Wikipedia) that theres a BBC iPlayer added for ppl in the UK / ROI ... the thing is tho everytime i try to get it on the Ps3's browser it wont work becoz im in Ireland.

Like i said, it states for people in the UK AND Ireland. Am I missing somethin? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gamercfc wrote: »
    I read up somewhere (and most other sites aswell including Wikipedia) that theres a BBC iPlayer added for ppl in the UK / ROI ... the thing is tho everytime i try to get it on the Ps3's browser it wont work becoz im in Ireland.

Like i said, it states for people in the UK AND Ireland. Am I missing somethin? lol

Probably meant Northern Ireland. I will let you know if it works tonight for me. [in London]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

gamercfc wrote: »

BBC iPlayer only operates TV in the UK but we can also get radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

I tried to download just now and it says "The latest version of the system ... ... ... no need to update"

Should i presume the server is down? Also Cod4 downloaded a new update but it won't play games online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Otacon wrote: »
    Probably meant Northern Ireland. I will let you know if it works tonight for me. [in London]

Cool, I'll give this a bash later when I get home [in Worcester/UK].

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

From here :
    http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/system-software/detail/item231620/Update-features-%28ver-3-00%29/

Main features in system software update version 3.00

* New design for the XMB™(XrossMediaBar) screen

psn_EN_small.jpg

The XMB screen has been redesigned. > See Details

* What’s New

index_UK_small.jpg

[Information Board] has been replaced by [What's New] and contains a new design and new features. > See Details

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ©2008 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Manufacturers, cars, names, brands and associated imagery featured in this game in some cases include trademarks and/or copyrighted materials of their respectiveowners. All rights reserved.

Other new or revised features in version 3.00

Overall

* You can now access the latest content available from PlayStation Store directly under Game and Video.
    * When using storage media that contains folders, the number of folder levels that can be displayed under Photo, Music and Video has been increased.
    * You can now copy text using the on-screen keyboard. You can use this feature to copy text on a screen from which the on-screen keyboard is displayed, such as the screen for creating a message under Friends.

Settings

* [Audio Multi-Output] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
    * [HDD Content Audio Language] and [HDD Content Subtitle Language] have been added as options under [Video Settings].

Video

* You can now use the right stick of the wireless controller to perform fast forward or fast reverse operations during video content playback.

Network

* [Print This Screen] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.
    * [Save Screenshot] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.

Friends

* A list of messages that you have exchanged with a Friend can be now accessed from the Friend’s profile screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

The only thing that I don't like with this update is the larger font :(
    The snow globe effect with the new background when you shake the controller is kinda cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i hate how one bizarre tweak can dog the whole thing. the grey border around friends, whY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

1. the grey around my friends is U G L Y!!! at leist let us customise it to different colours ive always hated the grey sh!t playstation use

2. wasnt their meant to be a european version of the app you can rent/buy?i dont see it nowhere:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

There are far too many links to the store now. Its not as if I didnt already know where it is but now they have decided to add a few more in around the different menus to make it even easier/more annoying.

Hopefully theres a free animated theme or two in the store update this week. Sure aint paying for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

bucks73 wrote: »
    There are far too many links to the store now. Its not as if I didnt already know where it is but now they have decided to add a few more in around the different menus to make it even easier/more annoying.
    Very little to do with making things easier for us. It's all marketing. Every week they can instantly show us three new products that we can purchase. Before, Sony had to hope that we would visit the PS store. Now all we have to do is turn on our PS3's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The startup tune is horrible compared to the original. Also the logo.

I don't mind the grey box surrounding the friends. I think it looks okay. But that's probably because I'm using a grey theme which matches it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

RangeR wrote: »
    Very little to do with making things easier for us. It's all marketing. Every week they can instantly show us three new products that we can purchase. Before, Sony had to hope that we would visit the PS store. Now all we have to do is turn on our PS3's.

Easier was meant to be sarcastic. One link to the store is more than enough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

in short we arent capable of pressing the analog stick to the right to move onto the ps store icon so they make the ps3 start up ON the ps store and add another 1 to the game menu incase were even more retarted that we cant click it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Whats new section is fugly.

Friends boxes are fugly.

rest of the update is pretty boring from what I can see.

Very underwhelming IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Having looked at it a bit more I have to say I quite like the look of it. It has grown on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think the ingame XMB is more responsive now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

i think the old start up song was very like an arcade fire song maybe "No cars go" but now its slower and i actually liked arcade fire so it was cool starting up but now its annoying coz i'll always want to have the old one back..

the new logo on the start up screen is suppose to be a symbol for a "new type" of sony that will work better or some thing like that..

the theme i can see good things for that.. There will be people who will make good comical themes for us :D

whats new- is ok dont mind it...

Advertisement