Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garryowen RFC - City or County Club?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Fact is, they are based in the county.....same as Old Crescent.....but are they a County Club, or a City Club? Must be County..no?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Is that sound I hear a can of worms being opened?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does it make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

bazz26 wrote: »
    Does it make a difference?

It does a little, i am from Raheen/Dooradoyle, in Limerick County....annoys me when people just assume Brand Munster is a Limerick City thing! When in fact there are more players on the Munster Panel and Team from COUNTY Limerick than there are from the City and there are more from Cork than both combined! The only real Limerick City players are Keith Earls and Fla, and even Fla is originally a Galway man! . Wally is from Cork!
    So when people start on about Limerick City Rugby Clubs they would do well to remember, neither Crescent nor Garryowen are a Limerick City Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well it is silly imo, with any successful team comes your typical glory seeker. The likes of Man U, etc have them too, but you shouldn't leave it get under your skin, it's only a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

WHEN Dooradoyle and Raheen rightfully become pat of the city I will be petitioning for Garryowen FC (they can't even have the R before the FC in their name) scooped out of Dooradoyle and cast out to Adare or somewhere like that. Crescent can stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Limerick Club Rugby (Co. or City) is dead. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

Liam79 wrote: »
    It does a little, i am from Raheen/Dooradoyle, in Limerick County....annoys me when people just assume Brand Munster is a Limerick City thing! When in fact there are more players on the Munster Panel and Team from COUNTY Limerick than there are from the City and there are more from Cork than both combined! The only real Limerick City players are Keith Earls and Fla, and even Fla is originally a Galway man! . Wally is from Cork!
    So when people start on about Limerick City Rugby Clubs they would do well to remember, neither Crescent nor Garryowen are a Limerick City Club.

what part of limerick are O Connell, Flannery, Wallace etc from??

i know that hayes is a cappamore man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

MickTipp wrote: »
    what part of limerick are O Connell, Flannery, Wallace etc from??

i know that hayes is a cappamore man

POC is from Castleconnell/Ahane
    Flannery is a Limerick City man but originally from Galway
    Wally is a Cork man!! Like his brothers Paul and Richard
    There are more Leinster men than Limerick City men on the team!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

They are a city club, and Raheen and Dooradoyle are part of the city, even if the outdated boundary doesn't reflect it.

And Fla is not from Galway, grew up in Thomondgate and went to Munchins.
    Wallace was born in Cork but grew up in Limerick, you might as well say O'Gara is from San Diego if you want to go down that line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

POC is from Castleconnell/Ahane
    Flannery is a Limerick City man but originally from Galway
    Wally is a Cork man!! Like his brothers Paul and Richard
    There are more Leinster men than Limerick City men on the team!!!

O'Connell is from out towards Bruff, he's not from Castleconnell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fact is, they are based in the county.....same as Old Crescent.....but are they a County Club, or a City Club? Must be County..no?

You forgot that UL Bohs are based out in Castletroy/Annacotty and Shannon are based all the way out in Coonagh, I think the city folk should turn it's back on rugby, after all what's the point when all the clubs are based out the county or else maybe city hall should give over the three public parks and allow club rugby to be played closer to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Paulie is from Drombanna which is very close to Limerick City and was schooled in the city!

So the only true Limerick Clubs are:
    Young Munster
    Thomond
    St Mary's
    Richmond
    Presentation (although their grounds are in the county).

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Paulie is from Drombanna which is very close to Limerick City and was schooled in the city!

Young Munster
    Thomond
    St Mary's
    Richmond
    Presentation (although their grounds are in the county).

+ Shannon, Coonagh is now City property. Think the changed it before the summer.

I do my best to ignore Shannon's existence :D being a cookie. But i think you are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Raheen and Dooradoyle are full of townies anyways, so they are "city" clubs to me..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Raheen, Dooradoyle, Castletroy, etc might technically be in the county but in reality they're as much a part of the city as Mayorstone or Moyross. As far as i'm concerned, when i'm coming into Limerick, once i go past Tom Kilroys i'm in Limerick City. Although it is fair to say that a lot of the people living in Dooradoyle and Raheen in particular, are people that have originally moved in from the county.

So to answer the OP's question, Garryowen and Old Crescent are city clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yes Coonagh is now inside the city boundary but in any case Shannon and Bohs would say their true homes are Thomond Park so are in fact city clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

City club. Unless you kick the ball into touch and hit an agricultural animal, then you're a county club. I'm from Shannon Town and togged out for Garryowen on a few occasions (to the disgust of my dad who's a cookie) and I always considered it a city club, well suburban at least.

Pappy you should be togging out for St Senans not Garryowen! Played in St Senans pitch once with the cookies and you could barely run the grass was so high!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Young Munster
    Thomond
    St Mary's
    Richmond
    Presentation

Fixed that for you. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

City club. Unless you kick the ball into touch and hit an agricultural animal, then you're a county club. I'm from Shannon Town and togged out for Garryowen on a few occasions (to the disgust of my dad who's a cookie) and I always considered it a city club, well suburban at least.

I have seen a few things walking around Dooradoyle of late that would match that description. :D

And no, I was not passing a mirror at the time. :p

In response to the OP, I would regard them as city clubs tbh, as although technically they are in the county, very few people regard Dooradoyle, Raheen etc as the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Pappy you should be togging out for St Senans not Garryowen! Played in St Senans pitch once with the cookies and you could barely run the grass was so high!

I played with Senans for years. We always had diffculty fielding teams at underage level, so every so often a few of us played cup games for City clubs, I found Garryowen to be very cliquey and never felt overly-welcome. St. Marys were rough but useless and Thomond rough but wiley. My favourite City club was Richmond and our local club Senans has strong links with Richmond.
    In 1998 after Richmond earned Senior status, their successful winning player/coach Pat Slattery was edged out (shafted) in preferance for a more experienced coach. His brother Jimmy at the time was President of Senans and asked him to come down to coach our downtrodden First XV. In the first 3 seasons Pat coached the club to 3 promotions in Munster rugby, an unheralded feat for a County Clare rugby team and replaced Ennis as the top team in the County. He got the maximum out of a below average bunch of players by bringing good coaching tecniques, gruelling fitness programmes and an astute knowledge of the game.
    The club now own their own ground with 2 fine playing pitches and a modern clubhouse (although no bar yet). The days of getting changed in the GAA and driving a mile to an overgrown pitch are long gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Garryowen FC were founded on September 19 1884 in Cecil St.Limerick, so therefore a Limerick City club.

David Wallace was born in Limerick (profile on www.munsterrugby.ie) therefore a Limerick man.

Garryowen FC - Grounds in Co.
    Thomomd RFC - Grounds in Co.
    Presentation RFC - Grounds in Co.
    Old Crescent RFC - Grounds in Co.
    UL Bohemian RFC - Grounds in Co.
    Richmond RFC - Grounds in City
    Young Munster RFC - Main Pitch in City, training grounds in Co.
    St.Marys RFC - Grounds in City
    Shannon RFC - Grounds in City, previous grounds in Co.Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Liam79 - you must have the biggest hatred of all things rugby in Limerick, can I ask why??

Kess73 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. :p

That is very true Kess73! Its about time everyone else agreed and got on with it. :D

Pappy that is great to hear, the more clubs in Clare the better for the game in general, I have a friend involved in rugby near Tulla and he said the kids are mad for it so hopefully that transpires into something worthwhile for the clubs and for people playing the beautiful game.
    I have played community games rugby and underage for YMRFC and it helped me overcome my shyness and helped me develop as a person and a player. Still have great memories of rugby trips to Wales and drinking bottles of Kaliber at 14. Playing second row and as Bohs drove us backward in a scrum, i knee'd my self in the nose and my captain asked what happened and i had to say it was one of the Bohs guys in the scrum and nearly started a fist fight!. I would not change those memories for the world. Especially beating Garryowen!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Some things happen so rarely in ones life that they are forever etched into ones memory, like losing to Young Munster.

Advertisement