Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of sending email

• 01-09-2009 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

I know this is a bit of a general question but how much should it cost to send an email containing maybe 200 characters in plain text? on meteor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

squared wrote: »
    I know this is a bit of a general question but how much should it cost to send an email containing maybe 200 characters in plain text? on meteor.

it all depends what programme you are using? For example email in opera mini would take about 20 kb, again it depends what plan you have, meteor charge 2c per kb on pay as go. about 40 cent on opera mini.
    Built in browser will take about 500kb for email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

deep1 wrote: »
    it all depends what programme you are using? For example email in opera mini would take about 20 kb, again it depends what plan you have, meteor charge 2c per kb on pay as go. about 40 cent on opera mini.
    Ok thanks, I was hoping it would be alot less than that. Was thinking if it was as cheap as cabbage people might use it (yournumber@sms.mymeteor.ie) instead as there would be no limit on the amount of messages you send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

why anyone would use a browser to send an email is beyond me. definitely not the most efficient method

use the phone's email client takes about 1kb to check email if you're not using encryption, 5k if you do.

sending a 200 character email without using TLS encryption with an email client maybe 2kb of data would be transferred so 4c. maybe 6c

you can also save a few cents by putting the email server's IP address in your settings instead of the address. saves on DNS lookups so like 1kb every few times you check your email

Dankoozy wrote: »
    why anyone would use a browser to send an email is beyond me. definitely not the most efficient method

use the phone's email client takes about 1kb to check email if you're not using encryption, 5k if you do.

sending a 200 character email without using TLS encryption with an email client maybe 4kb of data would be transferred so 8c. maybe 10c

you can also save a few cents by putting the email server's IP address in your settings instead of the address. saves on DNS lookups so like 1kb every few times you check your email

OP didn't say what ph he is using, NOT all phones have email client, if you are talking about nokia messaging then check again, i think it use more than that.
    I just gave the example as Opera mini can be used on Any phone.

OP didn't say what ph he is using, NOT all phones have email client, if you are talking about nokia messaging then check again, i think it use more than that.

i'm talking about the standard nokia email client. i just tested it on my e63 but other clients should use about the same amount. even a java based email client would be worth installing if he's using this regularly

nokia messaging is horrible, HTTP based and sends all your emails and passwords through nokia's proxy. and as expected it wastes gratuitous amounts of bandwidth

also if you are using gmail to send stuff over their SMTP server you have to use encryption so add another 3-4kb for overhead there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The majority of handsets currently have their own built-in email client, however, they are not used as much as they should, as they generally require the user to input every piece of their email account setup; this is where email applications, like the Gmail app, come in handy for users as there is less setup involved.

deep1, while I admit the OP didn't specify what handset they were using, it would have been easier for them if you simply gave the pricing information when using a handset's built-in email client and/or email client applications, instead of giving the pricing when sending email through mobile browsers since the vast majority of users wouldn't use this method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Sorry forgot to mention I'm using a nokia 5800. I use nokia messaging at the moment but i'd change client if I was able to save money. Doesn't appear i would save anything though so its probably more hassle than its worth.

Sorry forgot to mention I'm using a nokia 5800. I use nokia messaging at the moment but i'd change client if I was able to save money. Doesn't appear i would save anything though so its probably more hassle than its worth.

there might be a way to remove nokia messaging and use the regular client or else close the hosted 'nokia email' account and force it to get your email directly but i'm not sure. this nokia messaging / email thing really is a curse..

i had a look for some java clients but i think most of them are front-ends to some hosted money-making service and wouldn't necessarily save any bandwidth or else they're trials :(

update: actually, if you are bored you can try this one: http://www.getjar.com/products/11608/mujMailemailclient havn't tried it myself yet but looks promising

Rsaeire wrote: »
    deep1, while I admit the OP didn't specify what handset they were using, it would have been easier for them if you simply gave the pricing information when using a handset's built-in email client and/or email client applications, instead of giving the pricing when sending email through mobile browsers since the vast majority of users wouldn't use this method.

Built in Client app do use lots of data oppose to Opera mini, I use profimail all the time but OP was looking to save money so didn't suggest, and i am pretty sure vast Majority of people would use Opera mini for email just for the purpose to save bandwidth and get all the benefits of email.

You might give a try to profimail , download trial from lonelycatgames.com, i have 6 email accounts and every time i check email is 30kb which can be lowered with your own preferences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just another thought on your idea op - hasn't the sms.mymeteor.ie service been discontinued for some time now?

i just installed the mujmail thing on the e63 and its not half bad - only one kb used to check email

link to recent version:
    http://mujmail.org/jar/current/stable/en/mujMail.jar

sms.mymeteor is gone but mms.mymeteor.ie still works

Advertisement