Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effective Shower Door

Options
  • 01-09-2009 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine changed his bathroom set, and gave me his solid glass shower door, to stick on the bath side like.
    I have to put it up, but am hearing some reports of these solid doors being ineffective in keeping water off the bathroom floor, and that I would need a longer folding shower screen.
    I dont really like the folding showerdoor's tho. Has anyone experience with these solid shower screens? Mine must be 2 if not 2 and a half foot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Oh I have experience in those doors alright... and not a good one.

Ours is 2.5 feet in length and as you can see from the photo, its pulled in slightly to help reduce the amount of water going out over the shower door.

Unfortunately the same problem exists in all three showers.

If you can get a longer one... say 4 feet... then it might be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

oxygen wrote: »
    A friend of mine changed his bathroom set, and gave me his solid glass shower door, to stick on the bath side like.
    I have to put it up, but am hearing some reports of these solid doors being ineffective in keeping water off the bathroom floor, and that I would need a longer folding shower screen.
    I dont really like the folding showerdoor's tho. Has anyone experience with these solid shower screens? Mine must be 2 if not 2 and a half foot.
    Cringer wrote: »
    Oh I have experience in those doors alright... and not a good one.

Ours is 2.5 feet in length and as you can see from the photo, its pulled in slightly to help reduce the amount of water going out over the shower door.

Unfortunately the same problem exists in all three showers.

If you can get a longer one... say 4 feet... then it might be useful.

Hi Folks just to help you both out on this. You are free to take/leave my advice but as i am fitting these 10 years trust me on this.

Firstly they are fine. Infact they are perfect. There is a version out now that has a towel rail and it useful for hanging a towel on. It saves you wetting the floor.

Now to problems. Most of the problems with these screen come in an incorrect application or fitting! Bear with me! Firstly these should never be fitted to flat baths. The type in the photo! Why? Cause the water runs along the screen and around it onto the floor! Second the profile is designed to take out of sync walls. It must be fitted with this regard. A lot of people that fit it just hang it they do not take account of the walls. Lastly These should NOT be sealed on the inside. They are sealed on the outside like all shower doors. This stops the condensation building up in the profile and flowing onto the floor.

Hi OP. Take a picture of your bath showing the ledge and i will tell you if its suitable,

Cringer the only screen that suits your bath is a double folding screen. A 5 panel screen may also work. However! I never fitted flat baths without adviseing customers of this possibility and in most cases the customer went with my choice of bath.

Lastly Builders! I wont start! I supplied at least 1 million homes in the last 5-6 years with the propper bath and screen. I fitted at least 250 last year. Builders do not understand this problem and in most cases because the have not battoned the bath and fit it level they make the problem worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Thanks for the feedback guys. Joey, ill take a few pictures later on when Im home and upload them. I think the bath ledge might not be completly flat as in Cringers bath. Sure you can see your self later on.

Thanks alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Hi Folks just to help you both out on this. You are free to take/leave my advice but as i am fitting these 10 years trust me on this.

Firstly they are fine. Infact they are perfect. There is a version out now that has a towel rail and it useful for hanging a towel on. It saves you wetting the floor.

Now to problems. Most of the problems with these screen come in an incorrect application or fitting! Bear with me! Firstly these should never be fitted to flat baths. The type in the photo! Why? Cause the water runs along the screen and around it onto the floor! Second the profile is designed to take out of sync walls. It must be fitted with this regard. A lot of people that fit it just hang it they do not take account of the walls. Lastly These should NOT be sealed on the inside. They are sealed on the outside like all shower doors. This stops the condensation building up in the profile and flowing onto the floor.

Hi OP. Take a picture of your bath showing the ledge and i will tell you if its suitable,

Cringer the only screen that suits your bath is a double folding screen. A 5 panel screen may also work. However! I never fitted flat baths without adviseing customers of this possibility and in most cases the customer went with my choice of bath.

Lastly Builders! I wont start! I supplied at least 1 million homes in the last 5-6 years with the propper bath and screen. I fitted at least 250 last year. Builders do not understand this problem and in most cases because the have not battoned the bath and fit it level they make the problem worse!

I havent got a picture Joey, but I hasd a look at the bath, and its exactly the same as the above photo, completely flat. I think that means this shower door is not suitable then? Its 2.5 foot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

oxygen wrote: »
    I havent got a picture Joey, but I hasd a look at the bath, and its exactly the same as the above photo, completely flat. I think that means this shower door is not suitable then? Its 2.5 foot as well.

Flat bath = Not suitable! Sorry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement