Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2, Mobile broadband - Students

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Can I get this on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Hi,

I''m not sure if the Bargain Alert forum is the right forum to discuss this matter, but everyone else seems to be wading in with their opinions, so I might as well join in!

In relation to excessive charges being charged by O2 for going over the 10GB limit, this issue is not cut and dried.

Although the customer signs a contract it is a one sided contract, i.e. the customer has no opportunity to influence the terms. In other words the two parties are not on an equal footing.

In cases of unfair conditions in standard consumer contracts it is possible for such terms to be set aside by the courts. It is arguable whether the charges for going over the limit are unfair in this context.

It seems that O2 charge about €10 for 10GB and then charge, (based on a previous post), about €700 for the next 10GB!:eek: This does seem particularly excessive to me, especially in circumstances where the extra data does not actually cost the company much if anything at all.

I believe the original offer if you don't go over the limit is very good. However, the excessive charges for going over the limit are sneaky and extremely excessive.

Smokey

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

karma403 wrote: »
    I have just bought the 3 broadband :(

The question is should I return it and swap to o2 to save €120..?

It may look like your saving 120 but if you ever go over the 10gb allowance with 02 and used the 15gb you have with 3 you'll just have lost 300, 10gb is a small allowance and very easy use up if you use the Internet.

If the 15gb is not enough you can get 30gb for 26 euro, you can also ask 3 to 0 your credit limit so when your allowance is used up the Internet will just stop working until your allowance is refreshed, that way you won't get any big bill.

I'm not sure if 02 will allow you to 0 your credit limit, someone should ask them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fluffo

You just have to be extremely careful if you opt for the student O2 offer.

If you have 10gb to use over 30 days, that's 10,000mb, so only use 333.32mb a day and you'll be fine. My internet stays on for a lot of the day everyday and it get's up to about 247mb. But that's just me browsing the internet.

I watched a programme on 4od yesterday and it went up to 440mb, so you've got to be careful with anything like that or downloading anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Re: Data charges, check the third last paragraph of this article.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2010/0510/1224270042034.html

"From March of this year new rules to protect consumers from “bill shocks” came into force. Mobile operators must have a cut-off mechanism which will cut mobile connection to the internet when the bill reaches a specified limit. Operators must offer their customers a monthly cut-off limit of €50. They can also offer customers any other limit but if the customers chooses a higher limit, at least they’ll know what they’re letting themselves in for. People who do not make a choice by the beginning of July will have the cut-off limit set at €50 by default."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jo Satan wrote: »
    Re: Data charges, check the third last paragraph of this article.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2010/0510/1224270042034.html

"From March of this year new rules to protect consumers from “bill shocks” came into force. Mobile operators must have a cut-off mechanism which will cut mobile connection to the internet when the bill reaches a specified limit. Operators must offer their customers a monthly cut-off limit of €50. They can also offer customers any other limit but if the customers chooses a higher limit, at least they’ll know what they’re letting themselves in for. People who do not make a choice by the beginning of July will have the cut-off limit set at €50 by default."

is that for roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I have started to pay of the debt in installments. I am very unhappy with the way O2 dealt with this and even more unhappy with the HEAnet for approving such a Deal.
    When I was first informed of the charge and asked for details of my usage, I was told I'd have to ring customer service. I received more calls from the collections branch of O2 and every time I asked for more details I was fobbed off onto customer service. A friend of mien had a similar problem with meteor and had the charges waved when he made a complaint to customer service. When the account was past to the debt collecting agency I finally contacted O2 customer service and requested a detailed bill.
    O2 did not give any warning when I went over my limit.
    O2 have yet to provide me with a detailed bill that I have requested.
    O2 showed absolutely no leniency towards students when perusing payment for this made up charge
    I wont be dealing with O2 ever again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I had this offer. Never looked at my account during the period I had the Direct debit, to my detriment. Was only ever charged the €9.99 twice in 9 months. Apparently in months i remember downloading a lot i had gone over by a gb or two, fair enough. In the last two months before I canceled the contract and DD, I was charged €120 each month. Now if I had been anywhere near using my laptop enough or knew someone had used it I would have accepted it, but the fact I hadn't been using the internet more than an hour or two a week and wasn't downloading anything yet their records said I had been overusing my internet really annoyed me. I was credited €40 to my account but after €240 had been taken out then it made sense to pay the €30 to cancel the contract.

Its a good deal on the surface but to anyone getting this or thinking of getting it, then monitor your usage as often as daily but I still suspect there is a problem in there systems that led to being overcharged for data that was never used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

you can track your usage with this link - https://www.o2online.ie/NASApp/MyAccount/PostpaidUnbilledInclusiveUnitsServlet.htm

i think it's a good offer provided you never go over your limit. i download a good bit but i check my usage regularly and always ensure that i never go over. if i'm anywhere near it, i put away the modem and use the college bb instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Novella wrote: »
    WHAT?!!!

I have had O2 broadband for the last year and pay 19.99 a month... Can I change now?!!

If you are a student, YES.

But, you have to go into a store and show Valid Student ID. They input your student number before changing the tariff. I used to be paying over 20euro a month for mine, saw the deal and went to the O2 Forums. They did everything for me on the forums (They're a great bunch on there) but had to bring student ID into a store before the new tariff was activated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Folks just be careful, if you exceed the 10GB on this plan it's the standard charge for ex-bundle data that seems to be being applied, i.e. 2c per KB.

If you sign a legally binding contract and are billed at that rate, you have no legal recourse. You sign your own money away by exceeding the limit and shouldn't expect it to be waved either. It's silly to go over it, so don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭apachedropout

sdonn wrote: »
    Folks just be careful, if you exceed the 10GB on this plan it's the standard charge for ex-bundle data that seems to be being applied, i.e. 2c per KB.

o2 website says:
    The HEAnet plans have data usage limits of 5GB per month on the HEAnet €12.99 Price Plan and 10GB per month on the HEAnet €9.99 Price Plan. A charge of 2c per MB applies for all usage in excess of the data usage limit on your plan.

So it looks like they changed the t&cs this year :)

afaik it is 2c per MB over your limit with o2 while with the other mobile bb operators, it's 2c per KB :eek: that's over a 1000 times dearer if you go over your limit

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oddo

Do you have to pay for the modem also???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

It seems that O2 charge about €10 for 10GB and then charge, (based on a previous post), about €700 for the next 10GB!:eek: This does seem particularly excessive to me, especially in circumstances where the extra data does not actually cost the company much if anything at all....

But it costs other users internet browsing happiness due to the increased contention.

O2 can then put the fines towards improving infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

oddo wrote: »
    Do you have to pay for the modem also???
    once off payment of €20, if your in galway il give you one for a fiver:D

once off payment of €20, if your in galway il give you one for a fiver:D
    not to burst your bubble, but i think you have to get the modem in the deal as well. my brother already had a modem but i had to pay for a new modem when i was taking up his bb. the guy said the deal wouldn't go through for him otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

I got this deal last September and is due to run out soon. Anyway you can renew it at the same price??

yes, apparently so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Really?? Thats unreal if true.

Handy little deal I must say. It was only off one day all year like .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Sorry to drag up an old(ish) thread, but does anyone know if 02 check the student card against the college, or just look for a valid student card from a participating college? Apologies if cheeky to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Stuck in a contract with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old(ish) thread, but does anyone know if 02 check the student card against the college, or just look for a valid student card from a participating college? Apologies if cheeky to ask :)

I signed up about 2 weeks ago. The girl just photocopied the student card, driver licence and utility bill. She didn't really look at anything. The shop was fairly busy so she was prob just rushing. I'd say just go in when they are too busy to care. After all its still money to O2. Great deal. Was with Vodaphone so a good saving and speed seems better with new modem. It was in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

badker wrote: »
    I signed up about 2 weeks ago. The girl just photocopied the student card, driver licence and utility bill. She didn't really look at anything. The shop was fairly busy so she was prob just rushing. I'd say just go in when they are too busy to care. After all its still money to O2. Great deal. Was with Vodaphone so a good saving and speed seems better with new modem. It was in Athlone.

Thanks for that! Might give it a try, as still have valid student card and could do with the deal while moving in to new house :) Have asked on another thread, but any idea if connection would be suited to voice traffic from a soft phone?

Edit: Just reading through the contract now, and seems they do check against HEANET to make sure you're a registered student. Bah :)

Advertisement