Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop/desktop connecting to router

• 01-09-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am having an issue where by i have one laptop and 1 desktop, if i do not use the desktop for a few day (but do use the laptop) and turn it on it will not connect to the internet via a cable. The light is on at the back of the PC and on the router but i get the "limited or no connectivity" message.
    However the laptop will connect fine.

I then have to shut both down move the desktop out to the hall near the router and use a small one meter cable to connect, this then get me connect, i shut down move the desktop back, restart with the 10 meter cable in and it works fine. Then also boot up the laptop and it connects also.

I have tried different cables (bough a new one) and the same thing happens.
    I am using an eircome router ADSL 2/2+802.11G/B Wi-Fi Gateway
    4-Port Ethernet, PBC. (think it is a Motorola)

Thanks......................

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Thanos wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am having an issue where by i have one laptop and 1 desktop, if i do not use the desktop for a few day (but do use the laptop) and turn it on it will not connect to the internet via a cable. The light is on at the back of the PC and on the router but i get the "limited or no connectivity" message.
    However the laptop will connect fine.

I then have to shut both down move the desktop out to the hall near the router and use a small one meter cable to connect, this then get me connect, i shut down move the desktop back, restart with the 10 meter cable in and it works fine. Then also boot up the laptop and it connects also.

I have tried different cables (bough a new one) and the same thing happens.
    I am using an eircome router ADSL 2/2+802.11G/B Wi-Fi Gateway
    4-Port Ethernet, PBC. (think it is a Motorola)

Thanks......................
    That's very strange. Maybe the 10m cable is faulty? There's no logical reason why it doesn't work, and then suddenly it does. Your settings must be adequate, or else you'd never connect at all, regardless of what cable you use.

So either the cable is faulty, or the router is. Perhaps, also, the PC could be at fault somehow. Without knowing more about what's going on, and experiencing it for myself, it's a tough situation to call. It defies all logic so it's not that straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I *think* the cable issue is a red herring here. Limited or no connectivity is usually an issue with the router not giving an i/p address to the pc. Check both the dhcp setting in the router and that the settings of the Lan connection on the pc are set to automaticly receive an i/p addy and dns settings.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I *think* the cable issue is a red herring here. Limited or no connectivity is usually an issue with the router not giving an i/p address to the pc. Check both the dhcp setting in the router and that the settings of the Lan connection on the pc are set to automaticly receive an i/p addy and dns settings.
    I thought about DHCP, but if there was no IP being issued by the router, or no specified static IP in Windows, then it would never work. But it does work, sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I thought about DHCP, but if there was no IP being issued by the router, or no specified static IP in Windows, then it would never work. But it does work, sometimes.
    Ok, imagine this...

The laptop has Auto i/p set and the desktop has static set on it. When the laptop connects, it always gets the same address assigned to it, say 192.168.0.1. Somehow the desktop has been given the static addy of 192.168.0.1 also. When the laptop is on, the desktop cannot use that addy, hence limited connection.
    But, when the op reboots the desktop first (laptop off), it gets to use 192.168.0.1. The laptop then gets a new address.
    Because the desktop is off again for a few days, the laptop gets 192.168.0.1 again and so the cycle continues.

Its one senerio but its a possibility.

Its too early:)

True, and in that case, set the router's DHCP to start from a higher address. It is one scenario. Let's hope Thanos gets back to us regarding his DHCP and or Static IP settings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement